Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Comfrey -- to move or not move...

Okay, opinions please...

I have a Comfrey plant that someone gave me in June. It was a feeble
little thing when I got it but now it is like a show plant -- absolutely
huge, lush and vivid dark green. The root ball would probably fill a
bushel basket. I know if I leave it here, it will probably be mowed down
and destroyed and I'm wondering if it is worth it to move it? And if I try
to move it, how much can I cut it back (tops and/or roots) before I damage
it fatally? I'm taking a lot of my favorite smaller herbs with me because
I can't stand the thought of them being slaughtered but this is by far the
biggest outside plant I'm thinking of moving. My thirty-five year old Xmas
Cactus is the biggest indoor plant I'm moving.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Okay, opinions please...

I have a Comfrey plant that someone gave me in June. It was a feeble
little thing when I got it but now it is like a show plant -- absolutely
huge, lush and vivid dark green. The root ball would probably fill a
bushel basket. I know if I leave it here, it will probably be mowed down
and destroyed and I'm wondering if it is worth it to move it? And if I try
to move it, how much can I cut it back (tops and/or roots) before I damage
it fatally? I'm taking a lot of my favorite smaller herbs with me because
I can't stand the thought of them being slaughtered but this is by far the
biggest outside plant I'm thinking of moving. My thirty-five year old Xmas
Cactus is the biggest indoor plant I'm moving.

When I purchase a plant from Nichol's all I got was a piece of root. I
then hacked it into pieces after about a year and most made it . Intent
was perennial chicken food additions.

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Balgreen Portal to the Souther Realm

Old 11-08-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

FragileWarrior expounded:

Okay, opinions please...

I have a Comfrey plant that someone gave me in June. It was a feeble
little thing when I got it but now it is like a show plant -- absolutely
huge, lush and vivid dark green. The root ball would probably fill a
bushel basket. I know if I leave it here, it will probably be mowed down
and destroyed and I'm wondering if it is worth it to move it? And if I try
to move it, how much can I cut it back (tops and/or roots) before I damage
it fatally? I'm taking a lot of my favorite smaller herbs with me because
I can't stand the thought of them being slaughtered but this is by far the
biggest outside plant I'm thinking of moving. My thirty-five year old Xmas
Cactus is the biggest indoor plant I'm moving.

Take a bit of it, you know it'll grow into another show plant!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 10, 6:54 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Okay, opinions please...

I have a Comfrey plant that someone gave me in June. It was a feeble
little thing when I got it but now it is like a show plant -- absolutely
huge, lush and vivid dark green. The root ball would probably fill a
bushel basket. I know if I leave it here, it will probably be mowed down
and destroyed and I'm wondering if it is worth it to move it? And if I try
to move it, how much can I cut it back (tops and/or roots) before I damage
it fatally? I'm taking a lot of my favorite smaller herbs with me because
I can't stand the thought of them being slaughtered but this is by far the
biggest outside plant I'm thinking of moving. My thirty-five year old Xmas
Cactus is the biggest indoor plant I'm moving.

FW
Take all you want. You will not hurt comfrey, and neither will mowing
it
down. It will just come up again and again.
My son has a plant and I harvest every leaf for making my Comfrey
smelly-swamp tea. It grows back in a week. It is great for your
plants as fertilizer.
Be careful, be very careful!! If comfrey is in good
soil and gets water it can take over. Try to dig it out and every
little 1/2
inch piece of root that is left in the ground will sprout into a new
plant....
Seen the 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' with M. Mouse?? That broom must have
been made of comfrey. :^
When I had to get it out of here, the only way I finished it off was
to cover
the whole area with a sheet of metal, weigh it down with concrete
blocks,
and not let it get ANY water for 6 months.
I do like it, but in a pot, or at my son's house!
Emilie
NorCal

Old 14-08-2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

[...]

Could you expand on using comfrey for chickens? I have lots of both.
(Russian comfrey and laying hens.)

Thanks,

Jan

Old 14-08-2007, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

[...]

Comfrey can be used a a fodder for chickens. Gives them something to
nibble on and it is perennial. Can also be used a green manure.

Fodder \Fod"der\ (f[o^]d"d[~e]r), v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Foddered}
(f[o^]d"d[~e]rd); p. pr. & vb. n. {Foddering}.]
To feed, as cattle, with dry food or cut grass, etc.; to
furnish with hay, straw, oats, etc.
[1913 Webster]

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Balgreen Portal to the Southern Realm

Old 15-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Comfrey - be careful if you move it! Every tiny bit of root will re
grow. Its a great plant, its a useful plant - it makes medicine - it
makes great garden compost (do not put in seeds - do not put in roots,
let leaves air dry for a bit before adding to compost pile)
The chickens love it and you will be rewarded with lovely golden yellow
egg yolks, and healthier chickens. When I had a farm I just grew a
hedge of the stuff in the chicken run.
Colette

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Comfrey Andre Kristani Australia 5 12-06-2004 12:03 PM
Getting rid of comfrey Jeremy Lunn Australia 5 05-11-2003 01:02 AM
Comfrey as prophylactic? ;-) David Berry United Kingdom 3 30-07-2003 03:03 PM
Something growing in my comfrey liquid !!! Druss United Kingdom 8 23-06-2003 09:32 AM
Comfrey as a Green Fertilizer? Computerman United Kingdom 10 07-05-2003 01:44 AM