Old 15-08-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

Default I knew better, but...

When I bought my house there was a 5' x 12' fenced area that was used
for the pervious owner's dog. There was no grass in the area and the
ground was covered with rock. Around the fenced area were large
bushes that I believe were dog woods. I wasn't really happy with this
section of the yard, so I took out the fence, removed most of the dog
woods and got the ground ready for grass.
I knew it was the wrong time of year to plant grass, but I was
impatient so I seeded it anyway. That was July 4. The grass came up
and looked nice, but so did the weeds. I now have a terrible weed
problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I'm thinking of buying some
weed killer to spray over the area but I don't know what would work
best. Any suggestions on a good product for that purpose?

Old 15-08-2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

MVD wrote:
When I bought my house there was a 5' x 12' fenced area that was used
for the pervious owner's dog. There was no grass in the area and the
ground was covered with rock. Around the fenced area were large
bushes that I believe were dog woods. I wasn't really happy with this
section of the yard, so I took out the fence, removed most of the dog
woods and got the ground ready for grass.
I knew it was the wrong time of year to plant grass, but I was
impatient so I seeded it anyway. That was July 4. The grass came up
and looked nice, but so did the weeds. I now have a terrible weed
problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I'm thinking of buying some
weed killer to spray over the area but I don't know what would work
best. Any suggestions on a good product for that purpose?

Mow it. Water it. Mow it. Water it. Mow it... You get the idea.

Eventually grass will crowd the weeds out, if you've been careful to mow
before the weeds can blossom and set seed. Grass will even eliminate
weeds that spread via underground runners.

Old 15-08-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MVD" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I bought my house there was a 5' x 12' fenced area that was used
for the pervious owner's dog. There was no grass in the area and the
ground was covered with rock. Around the fenced area were large
bushes that I believe were dog woods. I wasn't really happy with this
section of the yard, so I took out the fence, removed most of the dog
woods and got the ground ready for grass.
I knew it was the wrong time of year to plant grass, but I was
impatient so I seeded it anyway. That was July 4. The grass came up
and looked nice, but so did the weeds. I now have a terrible weed
problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I'm thinking of buying some
weed killer to spray over the area but I don't know what would work
best. Any suggestions on a good product for that purpose?

It's a small area. Weed it by hand for now, so it's ready for seeding at the
proper time. Then, take care of the area BY THE BOOK, perfectly. The grass
will eventually dominate.

By the way, without knowing what weeds you're dealing with, it's hard to say
how bad they are. I have lots of purslane in my veg garden, and Ileave it in
place until I need to use the area. It spreads like a mat, and chokes out
other weeds. It pulls out very easily, and the soil underneath is in
beautiful shape. I recently found out that it's great in salads, and
contains all sorts of vitamins & minerals.

Others are nasty, and I remove them ASAP. Get to know your weeds.

Old 15-08-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sound Advice!

Bill who loves wild purslane and has also purchased seed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=golden%20purslane

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 15-08-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Clover, too. It quickly covers areas of my flower garden where I've cleared
weeds, but waited too long to plant something. It pulls out easily the day
after watering or rain, and the soil underneath is like a dream.

Old 15-08-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I just knew we'd get smarter, eventually.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 15-08-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

On Aug 15, 3:06 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Billyhttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

So no one would hit the weeds with some kind of weed killer like weed-
be-gone or something like that? I understand what you're saying about
the grass eventually chocking out the weeds, but right now it looks
like the other way around. That's what worries me.
Another question: If I decide not to use the weed killer, could I cut
the grass and weeds really short in early Sept., overseed and then
spread a little top soil over the whole business? Would that process
work to get rid of some of the weeds.

Old 15-08-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"MVD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any suggestions on a good product for that purpose?

A lawn mower.

Years ago, when the kidlette was small and we were broke, we moved into a
house that had knee high weeds and saplings in a neglected, overgrown
backyard. I yanked out the saplings and mowed the weeds. Where there were
low spots I just filled it in with dirt and stomped it down, the grass took
over the bare spots all by its self. After a few years of just watering and
mowing (often enough so that the weeds didn't go to seed) we had a
beautiful, tough as nails, kid proof lawn. It was the neighborhood play spot
since nobody was hollering to "stay off the lawn!". Never did use any type
of fertilizer or pesticide on that stuff and it put the constantly worked on
"golf green" money pits in the rest of the neighborhood to shame.

I also hand picked the newly sprouting, tender dandelion leaves for salads
and sautéed greens....yummy! But then, you could probably sauté an old shoe
in shallots and butter and it would be yummy

Val

Old 15-08-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
MVD wrote:

On Aug 15, 3:06 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"William Wagner" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Why Worry 4:16 The All-American Rejects The All-American Rejects
Alternative & Punk

Bill whose son's like this.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 15-08-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"William Wagner" wrote in message news:-----
could I cut
the grass and weeds really short in early Sept., overseed and then
spread a little top soil over the whole business? Would that process
work to get rid of some of the weeds.

Why Worry 4:16 The All-American Rejects The All-American Rejects
Alternative & Punk

Bill whose son's like this.

In my neck of the woods we call it the "yabut" syndrome. They ask a
question, they get an answer and then respond with, "yeah, but......yadda,
yadda, yadda."

*sigh*
Val

Old 15-08-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:47:35 -0000, MVD wrote:
I knew it was the wrong time of year to plant grass, but I was
impatient so I seeded it anyway. That was July 4. The grass came up
and looked nice, but so did the weeds. I now have a terrible weed
problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I'm thinking of buying some
weed killer to spray over the area but I don't know what would work
best. Any suggestions on a good product for that purpose?

Hand pull, or wipe each weed individually with glyphosate. Most
of the broad leaf selectives have at least a 3 week witholding period before
you can reseed, which puts you well into the time I like to seed in
most areas of the US.

If you didn't dig or rototill before your summer renovation, consider
mowing the current plot as short as possible, and then digging it over
and reseeding -- especially with a significant amount of clay in the
soil. Even little dog feet can do a good job of squishing out the air
space from soils over time, and it'd be easier to do a good aeration
when you're renovating.

Kay

Old 15-08-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MVD" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 15, 3:06 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Before you get any more answers, tell me what you thought about getting down
on your knees and hand weeding your VERY SMALL AREA. You didn't respond to
that idea earlier.

Also, tell me what kinds of hand weeding tools you now own.

Old 15-08-2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message news:-----
could I cut
the grass and weeds really short in early Sept., overseed and then
spread a little top soil over the whole business? Would that process
work to get rid of some of the weeds.

Why Worry 4:16 The All-American Rejects The All-American Rejects
Alternative & Punk

Bill whose son's like this.

In my neck of the woods we call it the "yabut" syndrome. They ask a
question, they get an answer and then respond with, "yeah, but......yadda,
yadda, yadda."

*sigh*
Val

My concern is that their family way of making mistakes concerning
nature or gardening is becoming vague and folks need total strangers to
attempt to fill the gap.

21 first century schizoid man which I Identified with 40 years ago
comes to mind. The ability to pass info in a text based device is poor.
We who think we know must offer examples if anyone wants it. My kids
think we have a strange garden but no one has asked how to improve the
soil Yadda yadda.

Got to get dirty and interact with people.

21st Century Schizoid Man 7:26 King Crimson Court of the Crimson
King Rock

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 16-08-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

On Aug 15, 5:08 pm, William Wagner wrote:
In article ,

"Val" wrote:
[...]

http://www.ocutech.com/ High tech Vison aid- Hide quoted text -

Wow, a lot of snarky comments here. Actually I did think about
getting on hands and knees and seeing how many of the weeds I could
get pulled that way. I'm a little affraid that I'll end up pulling a
lot of grass out too because many of the weeds are vine-like. But I
assume the response to that would be that the grass will spread and
fill any bare spot left where grass was pulled out.
What do you think about my idea about cutting short and overseeding
the weeds and grass in a couple weeks?
Before I seeded I did dig the entire area so I don't believe soil
compaction is a problem.

Old 16-08-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

ups.com...

[...]

Not snarky at all. If you are presented with ideas, it's expected that you
will respond to them. You've gotten relatively few responses, so it's not
like it's a monumental task to respond.

Your question about the timing for seeding cannot be answered unless we know
where you live. It's best done in cool weather, unless you are willing to
cover the entire area with burlap, and mist it one or three times a day,
depending on heat, wind, etc.

Where do you live? City & state, please.