GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Lychee (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/163296-growing-lychee.html)

strolgen 20-08-2007 08:04 AM

Growing Lychee

Hi there,
I succeeded to get something from an avocado seed, This took longer
than expected but it's very nice to it growing.

My girlfriend bought some lychee the other day and I was wondering if
it's possible to get something from it . Can I use the same technics
as for the avocado seed ?

Thanks for your help

SF

PS : I dont expect to get fruits from these trees .

Jim Kingdon 20-08-2007 11:04 AM

Growing Lychee

My girlfriend bought some lychee the other day and I was wondering if
it's possible to get something from it . Can I use the same technics
as for the avocado seed ?

Google shows:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...252229948.html
http://www.lycheesonline.com/faqs.cfm
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/lychee.html

So it seems like it might work (and since you say you aren't hoping
for fruit, that simplifies things). One of the above links does say
you need to start it right away, and not let it dry out.

David Hare-Scott 20-08-2007 11:29 AM

Growing Lychee

"strolgen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,
I succeeded to get something from an avocado seed, This took longer
than expected but it's very nice to it growing.

My girlfriend bought some lychee the other day and I was wondering if
it's possible to get something from it . Can I use the same technics
as for the avocado seed ?

Thanks for your help

SF

PS : I dont expect to get fruits from these trees .

Hard to say much that's sensible without knowing where you are.

David

Jim Kingdon 20-08-2007 12:33 PM

Growing Lychee

Hard to say much that's sensible without knowing where you are.

Indoors, I'm assuming. Lychee are hardy to zone 9 or zone 10 or so.
And if you wanted a full-size tree you probably wouldn't want to start
from seed, anyway.

strolgen 20-08-2007 10:30 PM

Growing Lychee

On Aug 20, 4:33 am, Jim Kingdon wrote:
Hard to say much that's sensible without knowing where you are.

Indoors, I'm assuming. Lychee are hardy to zone 9 or zone 10 or so.
And if you wanted a full-size tree you probably wouldn't want to start
from seed, anyway.

Thanks for your answers both of you .
I want to grow it indoor. I'm not sure how big those tree get after
the years but starting from seed I think I have time to see.

I 'm living at Seattle WA so indoor is the only option for now. The
winter are getting quite cold. I will possibly arrange something to
get enough light during the summer also .

Stephane