Old 26-08-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Another Bee Bites the Dust

I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're thirsty. there
are flowers all around, so they can get nectar.

this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.

glad I heard her before I drank her.
Old 27-08-2007, 09:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charles" wrote in message
I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're thirsty. there
are flowers all around, so they can get nectar.
this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.
glad I heard her before I drank her.

All that chemical soup... perhaps it was trying to commit suicide?

As Willy Shake wrote..

"To bee or not to bee?"

Old 27-08-2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charles wrote in
:

I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're
thirsty. there are flowers all around, so they can get
nectar.

this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.

then it wasn't a BEE, it was a yellowjacket.

it's not that hard to tell the difference, since they don't
look at all alike.
lee
Old 27-08-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/27/07 7:48 AM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Charles wrote in
:

I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're
thirsty. there are flowers all around, so they can get
nectar.

this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.

then it wasn't a BEE, it was a yellowjacket.

it's not that hard to tell the difference, since they don't
look at all alike.
lee

Hee Lee, how's your summer been?

Actually, I've had mason and bumble bees investigate sweet drinks. Not
often, but it has happened at least twice. It was sweet mint tea, not a
cola...

Old 27-08-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:48:43 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Charles wrote in
:

I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're
thirsty. there are flowers all around, so they can get
nectar.

this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.

then it wasn't a BEE, it was a yellowjacket.

it's not that hard to tell the difference, since they don't
look at all alike.
lee

I know the difference, I've tangled with yellowjackets way too many
times.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

You were lucky! I didn't notice one time and it stung me right on the
lip. Not that I was so beautiful before, but the fat lip really looked
awful as I met parents of my students at the first football game of
the season! LOL

Old 27-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Charles" wrote in message

I know the difference, I've tangled with yellowjackets way too many
times.

Does "yellowjacket" mean "wasp"?

Old 27-08-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:48:27 +0100, "Peter" wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .

I know the difference, I've tangled with yellowjackets way too many
times.

Does "yellowjacket" mean "wasp"?

Not to me, I think of paperwasps as wasps. Technically yellowjackets
may be wasps, but I dislike them more (the yellowjackets). I got
stung way too many times while I worked in the woods, two or three
times a week I'd kick up a ground nest.
Old 27-08-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:44:31 -0700, loonyhiker
wrote:

You were lucky! I didn't notice one time and it stung me right on the
lip. Not that I was so beautiful before, but the fat lip really looked
awful as I met parents of my students at the first football game of
the season! LOL

I was imagining getting stung in the throat. I'm not allergic, but I
do swell from stings, it can make breathing difficult.
Old 28-08-2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

enigma expounded:

Charles wrote in
:

I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're
thirsty. there are flowers all around, so they can get
nectar.

this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.

then it wasn't a BEE, it was a yellowjacket.

it's not that hard to tell the difference, since they don't
look at all alike.
lee

Believe it or not, I've seen honeybees go for diet coke cans! Yes,
they do visit soda cans, but not as much as yellowjackets do.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 28-08-2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:31:12 GMT, Charles
wrote:

I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're thirsty. there
are flowers all around, so they can get nectar.

this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.

glad I heard her before I drank her.

Addendum. I had turned the Coke can upside down, but it tipped and
the Coke ran out. I checked later and the bee was not in the can, nor
was it on the ground. So it may have tasted the dust, but it didn't
bite it, which is good, we need bees. Just not in my drink.
Old 28-08-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hee Lee, how's your summer been?

busy. i bought a place in upstate NY, mostly for summer use by
the SO's family. it has a nice veggie garden spot oh, and
black currents! i was really surprised & delighted to find
them.
i need to redo my upper garden. i think it'll be an herb
garden, but with a lilac because i'm not moving the poor thing
*again*.
how's your summer?

Actually, I've had mason and bumble bees investigate sweet
drinks. Not often, but it has happened at least twice. It
was sweet mint tea, not a cola...

late August is when the yellowjackets go into overdrive
trying to store sweets & protein for winter (even though they
don't winter over well in New England). while the masons &
bumbles might investigate, those yellowjackets are staking a
claim & they love sodapop. it's good for baiting wasp traps
this time of year (whereas something stinky, like catfood,
works better in early summer)
lee
Old 28-08-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Peter" wrote in :

"Charles" wrote in message

I know the difference, I've tangled with yellowjackets way
too many times.

Does "yellowjacket" mean "wasp"?

it's a type of wasp
lee
Old 28-08-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/27/07 9:49 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hee Lee, how's your summer been?

busy. i bought a place in upstate NY, mostly for summer use by
the SO's family. it has a nice veggie garden spot oh, and
black currents! i was really surprised & delighted to find
them.

Sounds nice!
i need to redo my upper garden. i think it'll be an herb
garden, but with a lilac because i'm not moving the poor thing
*again*.

Need chives! LOL
how's your summer?

Long form or short form
Short form - summer from hell. DS broke his leg, needed surgery (3 screws
stay put, one comes out in a month). I cut my left index finger, needed nine
stitches, still having issues with the scar.

Actually, I've had mason and bumble bees investigate sweet
drinks. Not often, but it has happened at least twice. It
was sweet mint tea, not a cola...

late August is when the yellowjackets go into overdrive
trying to store sweets & protein for winter (even though they
don't winter over well in New England). while the masons &
bumbles might investigate, those yellowjackets are staking a
claim & they love sodapop. it's good for baiting wasp traps
this time of year (whereas something stinky, like catfood,
works better in early summer)
lee

I hate yellow jackets. They are just nasty to be nasty.

Cheryl

Old 28-08-2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 8/27/07 9:49 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

busy. i bought a place in upstate NY, mostly for summer
use by the SO's family. it has a nice veggie garden spot
oh, and black currents! i was really surprised &
delighted to find them.

Sounds nice!

the ban on black currents was recently (3 years ago i think)
repealed in NY. i was surprised to find them growing wild. i'm
going to try starting some from seed. if they grow i'll
probably take them back to NY though. NH isn't so enlightened
about currents yet. i'm a big fan of currents, black or red
(i've not seen white ones yet)

i need to redo my upper garden. i think it'll be an herb
garden, but with a lilac because i'm not moving the poor
thing *again*.

Need chives! LOL

hah! chives are a weed (or is that a groundcover... g).
Boo is really into herbs & gardening. he was totally smitten
by the herballist at the Renaissance faire. he was spending
all his allowance on herb plants & dried herbs and wanted to
spend all day hanging out at her booth.

how's your summer?

Long form or short form
Short form - summer from hell. DS broke his leg, needed
surgery (3 screws stay put, one comes out in a month). I
cut my left index finger, needed nine stitches, still
having issues with the scar.

index finger cuts suck! have you tried putting vitamin E oil
on the scar tissue?
how did your son break his leg? that sounds like a pretty bad
green stick break!

I hate yellow jackets. They are just nasty to be nasty.

yup. especially in August. i had an arborial nest under the
porch on year. i thought it was paper wasps so i left it
alone... until August when they started stinging me when i was
hanging laundry 10 or more feet away from the nest.
my skunk is missing this year so i expect we'll be finding
huge ground nests soon. he was 5 years old so i guess he died
of old age. he used to hang out in the chicken barn & eat with
the barn cats. he did a great job eating yellowjacket nests.
lee