Old 26-08-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any new ideas to get rid of moles?

My battle with moles in my lawn has continued for about 5 years. I
have not tried too many products and my best weapon against moles has
been a spring loaded trap which drives 2 sets of prongs (about 4
prongs) down into a tunnel when a mole is under the trap. I kill about
2 moles each summer with these spring loaded traps but I still get
moles in my lawn the next summer.

Has anyone tried Tomcat Mole Killer? It is a mole bait shaped like an
earthworm. You place it in an active mole tunnel and the mole eats
like it is an earthworm.

Two different times I have heard this product recommended on the home
and garden show broadcast on our local public radio station by the
garden expert.

Has anyone found success with this product?

TIA

Old 27-08-2007, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

said:

My battle with moles in my lawn has continued for about 5 years. I
have not tried too many products and my best weapon against moles has
been a spring loaded trap which drives 2 sets of prongs (about 4
prongs) down into a tunnel when a mole is under the trap. I kill about
2 moles each summer with these spring loaded traps but I still get
moles in my lawn the next summer.

You get the young ones moving out into unoccupied territory every
year...so it will be a constant battle.

What I'd like to know is, exactly what trap and any tips for setting it
up you might have to offer. I've not been successful with traps.
This year I got lucky and managed to get one with quick shovel work.
(I'd been clued to it's presence by a robin that was taking advantage
of all the worms the mole was chasing to the surface.)

I get some spots that get hazardously soft from constant mole tunnelling
(not good for someone with knee and tendon problems).

Has anyone tried Tomcat Mole Killer? It is a mole bait shaped like an
earthworm. You place it in an active mole tunnel and the mole eats
like it is an earthworm.

I know someone who used it, and it seemed to kill her mole. The
mole was tunnelling under her flagstones, and it was (relatively) easy
for her to lift a stone and put the bait in a tunnel, then let the stone
down to cover it.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-08-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 27, 8:00 am, enigma wrote:
wrote roups.com:

My battle with moles in my lawn has continued for about 5
years. I have not tried too many products and my best
weapon against moles has been a spring loaded trap which
drives 2 sets of prongs (about 4 prongs) down into a tunnel
when a mole is under the trap. I kill about 2 moles each
summer with these spring loaded traps but I still get moles
in my lawn the next summer.

moles eat grubs (such as the larvae of Japanese beetles). to
eliminate the moles, you need to eliminate the food source. i
recommend treating your lawn with milky spore. it does take a
year or so to show any effect, but it will remain active for
10 or more years.
if you continue to use traps or poison bait (which i do NOT
recommend at all because any critter that may dine upon your
poisoned mole, such as a neighbor cat or a corvid will also be
poisoned), you are only prolonging your problem. as soon as
you rid yourself of one mole, another will move into it's
ecological niche. get rid of the food supply (kill the grubs)
& the moles will move elsewhere.
lee who has 2 cats & a dog that dig up & kill moles

I agree with the last poster. We got rid of the grubs and the moles
went elsewhere. And we are next to woods on 2 sides. It has been a
pleasure not to see their tunnels and holes the past 2 years.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

I hate to sound stupid but where do you get milky spore from? My
sister in law has this same problem and I would love to help her get
rid of the moles.

Old 27-08-2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:42:38 -0700, loonyhiker
wrote:

I hate to sound stupid but where do you get milky spore from? My
sister in law has this same problem and I would love to help her get
rid of the moles.

I get mine at the local agricultural supply store. I am sure that a
search on "Milky Spore" will turn up plenty of sources.

John
Old 28-08-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Pat is offline

Every spring I have to trap one or two moles when they move in. I use a
slightly different style of trap. Trapping works well.

Old 28-08-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"John Bachman" wrote in message

Moles eat grubs. Get rid of the grubs and the moles will move on to
annoy your neighbors.

In our area (NH) the primary grubs are Japanese Beetles and Milky
Spore eliminates them nicely. No JB grubs and no moles for 7 years
now from one inoculation of Milky Spore.

I saw Milky Spore at the store but there was no mention to use it on lawns
or garden soil. Do you make some kind of drench?

Old 28-08-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
.net...

Rat snakes eat moles.

We have plenty of snakes here and the neighbor has 3 cats. We still have
loads of moles every summer. This spring was the worst.

Old 28-08-2007, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:05:23 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message
.. .

Moles eat grubs. Get rid of the grubs and the moles will move on to
annoy your neighbors.

In our area (NH) the primary grubs are Japanese Beetles and Milky
Spore eliminates them nicely. No JB grubs and no moles for 7 years
now from one inoculation of Milky Spore.

I saw Milky Spore at the store but there was no mention to use it on lawns
or garden soil. Do you make some kind of drench?

There are two ways to apply it depending upon which formulation that
you buy. One is spread by a broadcast spreader just like fertilizer
or lime. The other is spread through a tube depositer in a grid
pattern. I used the latter.

I understand that the manufacturers are recommending more than one
application. I did only one and am grub free.

MS is not a short term cure. It takes a while for it to inoculate
your soil, a year or so.

Remember, Milky Spore is effective only against the Japanese Beetle
grub. If your problem is any other type of grub then Milky Spore is a
waste of time and money for you.

John
Old 28-08-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John Bachman" wrote in message

Remember, Milky Spore is effective only against the Japanese Beetle
grub. If your problem is any other type of grub then Milky Spore is a
waste of time and money for you.

Thank you for saving us $$$. There are several different types of grubs out
there plus many earthworms because the soil is on the rich side. It's a
smorgasbord for moles.