GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlias from seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/164304-dahlias-seed.html)

Jardin 03-09-2007 01:51 AM

Dahlias from seed

Any point in starting them at this point in the year? Found an old packet of seeds and they have germinated v quickly. Can move them to a greenhouse or keep indoors. Havent raised from seed before. Do they need a spring and or summer growing season to establish tubers? TX

JoeSpareBedroom 03-09-2007 03:34 AM

Dahlias from seed

"Jardin" wrote in message

Any point in starting them at this point in the year? Found an old
packet of seeds and they have germinated v quickly. Can move them to a
greenhouse or keep indoors. Havent raised from seed before. Do they
need a spring and or summer growing season to establish tubers? TX

Yes, pretty much. I'd base the greenhouse decision on the cost of keeping it
warm until spring. I certainly wouldn't do it just for the dahlias. But, if
you're going to keep the greenhouse "conditioned" anyway all winter, then
include the dahlias.