Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default power rake vs. manual rake

When it comes to working with grass does a power rake do a better job versus
a manual steel rake? I don't mean FASTER, but overall better job? Do the
two implements even do the same job? Meaning can this
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/bow-rake-BR35.htm doe the same job as this
http://www.ryanturf.com/products/specialty/ren_o_thin/ ?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 3, 11:49?am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
When it comes to working with grass does a power rake do a better job versus
a manual steel rake? I don't mean FASTER, but overall better job? Do the
two implements even do the same job? Meaning can thishttp://www.hooverfence.com/tools/bow-rake-BR35.htmdoe the same job as thishttp://www.ryanturf.com/products/specialty/ren_o_thin/?

Seems pretty obvious to me that the power rake will do a much better
job than anyone with a hand rake. Of course it depends on what you
desire to accomplish by raking, and what size area.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 3, 11:49?am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
When it comes to working with grass does a power rake do a better job
versus
a manual steel rake? I don't mean FASTER, but overall better job? Do
the
two implements even do the same job? Meaning can
thishttp://www.hooverfence.com/tools/bow-rake-BR35.htmdoe the same job as
thishttp://www.ryanturf.com/products/specialty/ren_o_thin/?

Seems pretty obvious to me that the power rake will do a much better
job than anyone with a hand rake. Of course it depends on what you
desire to accomplish by raking, and what size area.

True, it all depends on what you need to do.

I first wanted to establish that they both CAN do the same thing.

I'm looking at overseeding a 10'x5' area of grass and the idea of renting a
power rake seemed like a waste of money - especially when I can simply
accomplish the same thing with a metal rake. A 50 sq ft plot of land isn't
going to kill me, but hauling around that power rake might. I don't need to
rake the rest of my yard, its fine.

I don't suppose they sell sharpened version of a rake that can break up the
top layer of dirt without destroying the grass - I guess they do, a
thatcher.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 3, 6:45?pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

If you break up the earth that's called "seeding", not overseeding.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 3, 6:45?pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Well I guess that's one way to interpret that, however the manufacturer of
the seeds doesn't follow your definition. In either case break up the top
layer of soil is what I did.

As for a power rake, it would indeed have made the job easier, but I just
went ahead and raked the grass manually after work. I think if I had to do
a 1/4 acre or more, I rent a power rake, otherwise its just as efficient to
use a manual rake for that task - either way you still have to collect and
dispose of the material brought to the surface by the rake.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 5, 12:05?am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 3, 6:45?pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

For raking your 50 sq ft area (the size of a small toilit) a dinner
fork would do... I doubt you will have enough "material" raked to fill
one small leaf bag. Raking is only a very small part of the
overseeding process... and you really should use a de-thatching rake.

Here is the common generic de-thatching rake, all you need for your
size area: http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1901

But there are many versions, some are mounted on wheels and are depth
adjustable... there are even dethatching blades that can be mounted on
a rotary lawnmower.

http://gardeneryardener.blogspot.com...ng-tricks.html

To be honest, if all the lawn you have is 50 sq ft you really should
consider astroturf.