Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default FAO Cheryl I

i scored a bunch of plants, 3 Lady's Mantle, 3 pink Astilbe, 3
stonecrop, 2 Red October hostas & 4 hellebores (white prince, i
think), all gallon size pots & all free.
i know where i want to put everything but the hellebores,
because i know pretty much nothing about them. any suggestions?
lee
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

i scored a bunch of plants, 3 Lady's Mantle, 3 pink Astilbe, 3
stonecrop, 2 Red October hostas & 4 hellebores (white prince, i
think), all gallon size pots & all free.
i know where i want to put everything but the hellebores,
because i know pretty much nothing about them. any suggestions?
lee

I plant most of mine near the front door on the North side of my home.
I like to see a glimmer of spring in February . This combined with a
few witch hazels about and winter is good. I mix Hostas, Hellebores
and ........ Caladiums along with double Inpatients much latter.

Bill whose Hellebore babies start out on the south side.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/7/07 3:58 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

i scored a bunch of plants, 3 Lady's Mantle, 3 pink Astilbe, 3
stonecrop, 2 Red October hostas & 4 hellebores (white prince, i
think), all gallon size pots & all free.
i know where i want to put everything but the hellebores,
because i know pretty much nothing about them. any suggestions?
lee

The hosta, hellebore and astilbe in the shade some place and lady's mantle
and stone crop in the sun.

I want a start of the hosta!!!! I googled it and WOW! want to meet and I'll
bring some daylilies

Old 08-09-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 9/7/07 3:58 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

i scored a bunch of plants, 3 Lady's Mantle, 3 pink
Astilbe, 3 stonecrop, 2 Red October hostas & 4 hellebores
(white prince, i think), all gallon size pots & all free.
i know where i want to put everything but the hellebores,
because i know pretty much nothing about them. any
suggestions?

The hosta, hellebore and astilbe in the shade some place
and lady's mantle and stone crop in the sun.

i'm going to put the stoncrop along the stone wall next to
the driveway. there's some sedum there in one patch that does
well. everything else dies from the dry & sun. i think the
stine crop will do ok there.
the lady's mantle i already have gets shade in the afternoon.
i was going to fill in the weedy former garden area around it
with the new lady's mantle. it's at the bottom of the stone
walls facing southeast...
the astilbies will have shade until i get the damned Norway
maple cut down, but if it then becomes too sunny i can move
them.

I want a start of the hosta!!!! I googled it and WOW! want
to meet and I'll bring some daylilies

ok. i can cut a start out when i plant them. they are much
prettier than the hostas that came with the house (which
actually look much better now that i moved them out of full
sun). i want to put them by the back door instead of the ditch
lillies, but again, they'll lose the shade when the maple gets
taken down.
i do need suggestions for replacing the maple. we *need* the
shade in the summer, but i loathe that tree. i think it's too
dry for red maple there.
when do you want to get together?
lee
Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/7/07 6:00 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 9/7/07 3:58 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

[...]

I've never had much luck with hosta that didn't have 50% shade.

i do need suggestions for replacing the maple. we *need* the
shade in the summer, but i loathe that tree. i think it's too
dry for red maple there.

Is it a Norway maple? That is the only maple I hate (it's a weed). I have a
few seedling trees I can pot up for you
when do you want to get together?

Tuesday? I think that might be the only free day next week....

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 9/7/07 6:00 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:
i want to put them by the back door instead of
the ditch lillies, but again, they'll lose the shade when
the maple gets taken down.

I've never had much luck with hosta that didn't have 50%
shade.

i have one down in the bog that gets full sun all day, but
it's cool & damp so it's thriving. it was formerly in full sun
in a dry area. it looked horrid (probably felt the same).

i do need suggestions for replacing the maple. we *need*
the shade in the summer, but i loathe that tree. i think
it's too dry for red maple there.

Is it a Norway maple? That is the only maple I hate (it's a
weed). I have a few seedling trees I can pot up for you
when do you want to get together?

Tuesday? I think that might be the only free day next
week....

yeah, it's a Norway. i have no idea *what* the former owners
were thinking, because they will crossbreed with the sugar
maples & the resulting offspring look like sugar maple, but
are as worthless as Norways. not good for the sugarbush. of
course, i have no idea what they were thinking with the
gardens most of the time. she planted every invasive perennial
known to the northeast, well, she did miss Japanese knotweed
so i should count myself lucky there.
yes, Tuesday should be ok. i have to drive Boo to school in
the am (home by 9) & pick him up at 3. otherwise, i should be
home all day.
lee

[IMG] code is On

Cheryl Coles Was Cheryl Coles leaves intensive care rightsadvocates United Kingdom 0 12-07-2010 10:12 AM
To Cheryl and group Gwyneđ Bennetdottir Gardening 9 02-01-2008 12:00 PM
Ping: Cheryl Isaak AlanG Gardening 32 05-10-2007 10:06 PM
Contact info for Cheryl Manning? DC Bonsai 0 16-07-2003 10:52 PM