GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting Cactus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/164585-transplanting-cactus.html)

Jumpin 09-09-2007 03:19 AM

Transplanting Cactus

Around November last year I planted several saguaro cacti from a kit i
bought on a trip to the Grand Canyon. By now I have nearly 20 plants
all about a 1/2 an inch tall, and it looks like they need to be
transplanted to either a pot where they will have more room to grow
(the current pot they are in is only two inches across; it came with
the kit) or maybe even individual pots to save time later can anyone
tell me how to do this safely without hurting either the cacti or my
fingers? :)

FarmI 09-09-2007 08:37 AM

Transplanting Cactus

"Jumpin" wrote in message
Around November last year I planted several saguaro cacti from a kit i
bought on a trip to the Grand Canyon. By now I have nearly 20 plants
all about a 1/2 an inch tall, and it looks like they need to be
transplanted to either a pot where they will have more room to grow
(the current pot they are in is only two inches across; it came with
the kit) or maybe even individual pots to save time later can anyone
tell me how to do this safely without hurting either the cacti or my
fingers? :)

Kitchen tongs used gently or fold some newpaper into a thin band and place
it around the cacti and pick the long ends together where they meet and just
pull snugly against the plant and hold gently enough to get a good grip.

Phisherman[_1_] 09-09-2007 12:19 PM

Transplanting Cactus

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:19:18 -0000, Jumpin
wrote:

Around November last year I planted several saguaro cacti from a kit i
bought on a trip to the Grand Canyon. By now I have nearly 20 plants
all about a 1/2 an inch tall, and it looks like they need to be
transplanted to either a pot where they will have more room to grow
(the current pot they are in is only two inches across; it came with
the kit) or maybe even individual pots to save time later can anyone
tell me how to do this safely without hurting either the cacti or my
fingers? :)

I use a folded strip of paper to hold the cactus, and use chopsticks
to pack the soil. After transplanting a cactus, resist the (natural)
temptation to water it, at least for a week or two.

Jumpin 10-09-2007 01:05 AM

Transplanting Cactus

Awesome, thanks! i just didn't want to like squish it or something. :)
Much appreciated thanks everybody!