GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pumpkins and squash questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/164594-pumpkins-squash-questions.html)

Ron H 09-09-2007 06:07 PM

Pumpkins and squash questions

I have a bumper crop of squash ( both Acorn and Hubbard ) and two kinds of
pumpkins ( small pie and large decoration ). How and when do I know when to
pick them? The Acorns look ripe fropm the get go but now they are sounding a
little hollow. The Hubbard start green and turn golden, do I wait for the
hollow sound too? The pumpkins are turning orange but there are still a few
green. It is getting close to the first frost time here in western Wisconsin
, should I pick everything with the first signs of frost?

Ron H.

--
This outgoing email was scanned by
Norton Antivirus Corp. Edition

-----------------
-----------------

sf 09-09-2007 08:09 PM

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:07:31 -0500, "Ron H" wrote:

I have a bumper crop of squash ( both Acorn and Hubbard ) and two kinds of
pumpkins ( small pie and large decoration ). How and when do I know when to
pick them? The Acorns look ripe fropm the get go but now they are sounding a
little hollow. The Hubbard start green and turn golden, do I wait for the
hollow sound too? The pumpkins are turning orange but there are still a few
green. It is getting close to the first frost time here in western Wisconsin
, should I pick everything with the first signs of frost?

Did you find these links yet?
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/hortihints/0410c.html
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/winsquash.html

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.

[email protected] 11-09-2007 03:08 PM

Pumpkins and squash questions

They will not handled a heavy frost, so I would pick every thing when
a killing frost is predicted. Most times a light frost will kill the
vines without hurting the fruits. But at any rate, pick them quickly
when the vines die.

-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*