GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   time to take down feeder (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/164814-time-take-down-feeder.html)

[email protected] 13-09-2007 09:52 PM

time to take down feeder

I'm in the Baltimore area. Is it time to take down the hummingbird
feeder, or will they know when to head south even if that food is
available?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Sheldon[_1_] 13-09-2007 11:02 PM

time to take down feeder

nob wrote:
I'm in the Baltimore area. Is it time to take down the hummingbird
feeder, or will they know when to head south even if that food is
available?

Hummers know exactly when it's time to depart the same as they know
exactly when to arrive. Keep feeding until at least two weeks after
you've last seen any. I'm up in NY, they're still here... they seem
to be feeding more on my roses, cone flowers, jade plant flowers and
others but they still sip that red juice. Why are you in such a
rush?!?!?

Sheldon

Pennyaline 13-09-2007 11:04 PM

time to take down feeder

wrote:
I'm in the Baltimore area. Is it time to take down the hummingbird
feeder, or will they know when to head south even if that food is
available?

Birds obey nature. Leaving the feeder up will not interrupt the call of
migration.

I leave my feeder up until I haven't seen a hummingbird in three weeks.
By that time, every bird that is going to migrate has done so. Don't
feel you need to leave it up after that point, as birds that haven't
migrated by then are probably too old or ill to survive migration thus
they will not survive staying put either. They needn't be fed by us at
that point. They've likely stopped trying to feed by then. That's
survival of the fittest, and the lower animals are much more compliant
with it than we are.