Old 19-09-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default elderberry bush is not fruiting

Hello,

My elderberry bush is not fruiting.

There are many possibilities:
* too young? (2 years old)
* it's a decorative, nonfruiting plant? (I bought it at a grovery
store)
* it needs a second plant to pollinate it?

How do I tell which of these is the case? And if it needs another
plant for pollination, how do I tell whether my plant is male, female,
or bisexual?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker
certified grey thumb

Old 19-09-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 19, 1:39?pm, "
wrote:
Hello,

My elderberry bush is not fruiting.

There are many possibilities:
* too young? (2 years old)
* it's a decorative, nonfruiting plant? (I bought it at a grovery
store)
* it needs a second plant to pollinate it?

How do I tell which of these is the case? And if it needs another
plant for pollination, how do I tell whether my plant is male, female,
or bisexual?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker
certified grey thumb

As elderberries are only partially self-fruitful, provision must be
made for cross-pollination by including more than one variety in a
planting. Plants of one variety should be located within 60 feet of
another. There are no known cases of cross-incompatibility between
varieties and it is assumed that any pair of varieties will function
as mutual pollenizers. Again, Elderberries are partially self-fruited,
but their yields will increase significantly with cross-pollination
from another variety. Fruit are produced on 1- to 3-year-old wood. To
prune, remove wood older than 3 years and thin weak wood to encourage
strong growth of new wood.

[IMG] code is On

elderberry bushes do not set frit [email protected] Gardening 2 09-07-2007 03:01 AM
Otto Luyken, some fruiting and some not Thorpe Gardening 0 24-05-2006 02:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 06:29 PM
Plum tree not fruiting? Curlytail Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2004 06:04 AM
Dwarf Nectarine, not fruiting Adam Australia 9 01-03-2004 01:34 AM