Old 20-09-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fertilizer storage and longevity

Hi, am have searched a for information on what occurs chemically to
NPK fertilizer over time. If I buy 3-4 50# bags of fertilizer and use
one bag a year, will the critical chemical compounds degrade, outgas,
or change? Thanks in advance,

Old 21-09-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, am have searched a for information on what occurs chemically to
NPK fertilizer over time. If I buy 3-4 50# bags of fertilizer and use
one bag a year, will the critical chemical compounds degrade, outgas,
or change? Thanks in advance,

Provided they are kept quite dry I wouldn't expect there to be any change at
all. If wetted all manner of things could happen.

David

Old 23-09-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 20, 6:46 pm, wrote:
Hi, am have searched a for information on what occurs chemically to
NPK fertilizer over time. If I buy 3-4 50# bags of fertilizer and use
one bag a year, will the critical chemical compounds degrade, outgas,
or change? Thanks in advance,

Kept dry they should present no problems but may go lumpy and the sack
may also degrade and burst when you try to lift. Store them in a
plastic trash bag.
A soil test will insure you get the best use of it as well.