GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blood Meal to keep deer from eating trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165363-blood-meal-keep-deer-eating-trees.html)

DoDa 26-09-2007 01:55 AM

Blood Meal to keep deer from eating trees

My question is does sprinkling blood meal around trees keep the deer from
munching on them? Have had a few trees killed over the last winter from deer
feasting on them and have replanted this year , but already one has signes
of being attacked. I have heard that putting blood meal around them works
but would like to hear from ppl here if they have used it and if it worked
before I go out and buy a ton of the stuff.

Thanks Donna

enigma 26-09-2007 02:38 PM

Blood Meal to keep deer from eating trees

"DoDa" wrote in
:

My question is does sprinkling blood meal around trees keep
the deer from munching on them? Have had a few trees killed
over the last winter from deer feasting on them and have
replanted this year , but already one has signes of being
attacked. I have heard that putting blood meal around them
works but would like to hear from ppl here if they have
used it and if it worked before I go out and buy a ton of
the stuff.

it works... briefly. your best bet is to cage the trees until
they get large enough to survive deer damage. yes, it's
unattractive, but then so are dead overgrazed trees.
other things that work briefly are soap (Irish Spring in
particular), and hair trimmings. a large dog might help, or 8
foot electric fence around the yard perimeter (or 2 5' fences
3 to 4' apart. hard to jump across from a standstill). i'm
guessing you live in a suburban area so a nice shotgun isn't
an option?
lee

Stephen Henning 26-09-2007 07:20 PM

Blood Meal to keep deer from eating trees

enigma wrote:

hair trimmings

male hair works best. Female hair often has a lot of chemicals on it.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net