GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please ID this Flowering Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165386-please-id-flowering-plant.html)

Denny 26-09-2007 04:30 PM

Please ID this Flowering Plant

Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

David E. Ross 26-09-2007 06:09 PM

On 9/26/2007 8:30 AM, Denny wrote:
Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

The leaf does not look familiar. But the flower indicates a mallow of
some kind. Mallows include hibiscus, hollyhock, and Lavatera among
others.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-09-2007 06:12 PM

Please ID this Flowering Plant

In message . com, Denny
writes
Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

Hibiscus syriacus or Hibiscus sino-syriacus.

The common Hibiscus syriacus cultivar, at least on this side of the
pond, with that colour pattern is 'Red Heart', but there might well be
other. However the H. sino-syriacus cultivars 'Autumn Surprise' and
'Ruby Glow' are similar, and the shape of the leaves looks more
consistent with H. sino-syriacus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Hibiscus/galleryH.html

[email protected] 27-09-2007 12:13 AM

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:30:05 -0700, Denny wrote:

Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

It's most likely a hibiscus or a close relative - in other words a plant
classified in the family Malvaceae. I can't see the sexual parts clearly enough
to tell if it is a hibiscus or something else. If you Google Images for hibiscus
you can see what the sexual parts look like and compare to your plant.

Ono 28-09-2007 04:51 AM

On 9 27 , 12:30, Denny wrote:
Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

Hibiscus syriacus 'Red Heart'

[email protected] 29-09-2007 07:05 PM

On Sep 26, 4:30 pm, Denny wrote:
Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

This plant is almost definitely a hibiscus, although I am not familiar
with Ontario. It is pretty widespread and can be grown in the UK in a
sheltered spot.

JDoe 10-10-2007 05:05 AM

Please ID this Flowering Plant

This is a hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon) plant/tree/shrub . . . it only
blooms for a few short weeks at the end of summer or early fall w/ gorgeous
blooms which both hummingbirds and orioles favor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_syriacus
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/h/hibsyr/hibsyr3.html
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrol.../hsyriacus.htm

Regards.