Old 29-09-2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Avoiding the dangers of Roundup

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water
via a well. Should we avoid it? We also have 3 cats that we wanted to
let roam outside. Is this a bad idea?

Thank you.

Old 30-09-2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water
via a well. Should we avoid it? We also have 3 cats that we wanted to
let roam outside. Is this a bad idea?

Thank you.

Is it safe to assume that you had your well water tested by a lab so far
away from your future home that it's unlikely anyone at the lab was related
to the farmer through blood, politics or business?

Old 30-09-2007, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water
via a well. Should we avoid it?

not sure myself whether you should avoid it however if you are worried about
drinking water you can set up a drinking water system using run off from
your roof.

rob

Old 30-09-2007, 09:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:30:25 -0000, wrote:

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water
via a well. Should we avoid it? We also have 3 cats that we wanted to
let roam outside. Is this a bad idea?

Thank you.

If the farmer follows all of the procedures specified by the law and
policies of your area (you did not tell us where you are) then you
should have no problem. That may or may not be a big "if".

I would contact the farmer and express my concern. Ask him what
pesticides he uses and what his procedures are. Ask him to notify you
on days that he will be using pesticides near your home so that you
can personally monitor the application. If your monitoring gives you
concern then address them with him and the local agricultural
authorities.

All of the farmers that I know in my area, (southern NH) would welcome
such a discourse with their neighbors and would be as concerned as
you.

JMHO

John

Old 30-09-2007, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water
via a well. Should we avoid it? We also have 3 cats that we wanted to
let roam outside. Is this a bad idea?

You might find the following of interest:
http://asgap.org.au/APOL20/dec00-3.html

Old 30-09-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

John Bachman expounded:

If the farmer follows all of the procedures specified by the law and
policies of your area (you did not tell us where you are) then you
should have no problem. That may or may not be a big "if".

And you believe this because? Big chemical told you so? They have
nothing to lose if they tell the truth, now, do they?

I would contact the farmer and express my concern. Ask him what
pesticides he uses and what his procedures are. Ask him to notify you
on days that he will be using pesticides near your home so that you
can personally monitor the application. If your monitoring gives you
concern then address them with him and the local agricultural
authorities.

I would be more interested in discussing with them the ultimate
unsustainability of the pesticides they are using. There are plenty
of farmers nowadays, especially in the Northeast, that are
successfully pulling in crops without using Roundup at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 30-09-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 30, 7:16 am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure.

If your new place's adjoining garden has healthy plants growing in
it, that suggests it's not being hit by Roundup weedkiller spray drift
fall-out. Grass in particular is very sensitive to Roundup drift.
However, the farmer may also be applying insecticide spray, whose
effects don't show up so obviously but could be far more worrying. So
on spray days I'd certainly stay indoors with the windows shut, and not
hang out the washing to dry.

We would get water

via a well. Should we avoid it?

not sure myself whether you should avoid it however if you are worried about
drinking water you can set up a drinking water system using run off from
your roof.

But the roof is equally a collection system for spray particles,
which would wash down into the watersystem.

Janet.

Thanks Janet. Yes, there is lots of vegetation in the yard and a
massive lawn, so that's a good sign.

On spray days - how long would we need to stay away? Could the wind
blow it around for days afterwards, or does it soak in immediately?
It's a 150 acre farm, almost entirely surrounding us. (We're in
Ontario, BTW).

I think we'll get the water tested before we use it.

Thanks alot for your help,

Darryl

Old 30-09-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 30, 9:29 am, Ann wrote:
John Bachman expounded:

[...]

That's a good thought. Maybe he'd be interested in changing his
methods.

Thanks,

Darryl

Old 30-09-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

what is more to worry about is that the crops are genetically modified/engineered to
be "roundup ready" so the roundup can be poured on and not affect the crops. Ingrid

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:44:06 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:30:25 -0000, wrote:

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water
via a well. Should we avoid it? We also have 3 cats that we wanted to
let roam outside. Is this a bad idea?

Thank you.

I'd like to know the name of the farm, so I can avoid buying canola
oil made from their produce (if possible to isolate from other
sources).

Or better still, pay the high cost of organic canola oil!

Persephone

Old 30-09-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

how much oil do people use? I am wondering because we get these tiny bottles of
stuff and toss most of it when it begins to smell off. then again, we dont deep fry
anything. Ingrid

Old 30-09-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article om,
wrote:

On Sep 30, 9:29 am, Ann wrote:
John Bachman expounded:

[...]

John Bachman didn't mention that he is an "Integrated Pest Management"
consultant. In my experience with him in this NG, he has been objective
and honest in his opinions.

Oh, you may want to ease in slowly on telling a farmer how to farm or at
least, leave your motor running.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 30-09-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:55:24 -0700, Billy wrote:

John Bachman expounded:

If the farmer follows all of the procedures specified by the law and
policies of your area (you did not tell us where you are) then you
should have no problem. That may or may not be a big "if".

John Bachman didn't mention that he is an "Integrated Pest Management"
consultant. In my experience with him in this NG, he has been objective
and honest in his opinions.

Oh, you may want to ease in slowly on telling a farmer how to farm or at
least, leave your motor running.

Yeah right, Billy. Applying glysphospate "as specified by law"...

Who do you think paid to get those laws written, my friend?

Charlie

You be in a ****y mood today, dawg. You know I don't want no 'cides, or
industrial effluents, or whiz bang pharmaceuticals around me.

Didn't say that I ALWAYS agree with John. I just be doin' that "men of
good will" thing 'bout disagreein'. You know the one, dawg. I've see
nuthin' to indicate that John ain't a "man of good will". Don't mean the
man can walk on water though.

Where are the grand kids? You got too much energy.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,misc.rural

Jim wrote in
:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message from contains these words:

I would be more interested in discussing with them the
ultimate unsustainability of the pesticides they are
using. There are plenty of farmers nowadays,
especially in the Northeast, that are successfully
pulling in crops without using Roundup at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

That's a good thought. Maybe he'd be interested in
changing his methods.

It would be good if he did, but the last thing a new
arrival to any
rural area should do, is start trying to suggest to the
resident farmers that you know how they should run their
business. Nothing could be more calculated to put his back
up, just when you want him to be your friend, and let you
know (minimum) what times of year he sprays and (best for
you) get to the point where he calls on the phone to say
"I'll be spraying tomorrow if it's not too windy".

Janet, well written, well stated and a good piece of
advice.

especially if he's going to be telling the farmer that RoundUp
is a pesticide... nothing like making yourself look *really*
ignorant when confronting a farmer about his spraying
schedules.
for the most part no one is going to be spraying if it's
likely to wind drift (too expensive/wasteful) anyway, but i
can't say i know much about canola...
lee