Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID: Monkey Vine, Real Name?

I grew up calling this Monkey Vine. Anyone know the real name of it? Was
all over the woods in PA where I grew up, got some in my back yard in KY
now.

Tempted to relocate it.

http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...onkey_vine.php
http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...e_up_close.php
Old 03-10-2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...onkey_vine.php

Not sure, but it looks like Celastrus (often known as bittersweet but
not the only plant which goes by that name). There is an native
American species (C. scandens), and an invasive (C. orbiculatus). The
two can be hard to tell apart, but the position of the flowers/fruit
seems to be the usual way:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/ceor1.htm
Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Actually it looks like a grape in both the leaf, and because of the
stump the new growth is coming from.

If it is super aggressive then it may be Vitus riparia but there are
also other native grapes.

Jim

Old 03-10-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

McGerm wrote:
Actually it looks like a grape in both the leaf, and because of the
stump the new growth is coming from.

If it is super aggressive then it may be Vitus riparia but there are
also other native grapes.

Jim

I'll have to watch and see. Since I cut it back I'll leave it grow out
some. See if it produces any kind of fruit.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Actually it looks like a grape in both the leaf, and because of the
stump the new growth is coming from.

Assuming the growth is coming from that stump, yes that would argue
for grape.

There also could be grape-style tendrils at:
http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...e_up_close.php
Compare with something like:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/3...625f9d44_m.jpg

I think I'm going to disclaim having sufficient knowledge to help much
on this one...

Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jim Kingdon wrote:
Actually it looks like a grape in both the leaf, and because of the
stump the new growth is coming from.

Assuming the growth is coming from that stump, yes that would argue
for grape.

There also could be grape-style tendrils at:
http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...e_up_close.php
Compare with something like:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/3...625f9d44_m.jpg

I think I'm going to disclaim having sufficient knowledge to help much
on this one...

After looking at it for a while it does seem to be a grape style vine of
some kind.. I just don't ever recall seeing any fruit on them. Granted,
any fruit would have been 20 to 30' up in the trees it was attaching
itself to, but still don't remember any.

I'm going to let this one live for a while and see what it does... Maybe
build a trellis for it and train it up that instead of letting it climb
the tree.

[IMG] code is On

Masonic Monkey See..... Masonic Monkey Do [email protected] United Kingdom 2 02-06-2014 09:24 PM
Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Monkey Vine Bob Thornton Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Monkey Vine Bob Thornton Lawns 0 17-02-2003 04:12 AM