Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is it a good time to plant spring bulbs in New jersey

Hello people,
I have bought several spring blooming bulbs.( Hyacinths, Iris,
Aliums.. ). I want to know if I can go ahead and plant them now or
should I wait for few more weeks. I live in New jersey and
temparatures here are still in the 80s. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"wowfed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello people,
I have bought several spring blooming bulbs.( Hyacinths, Iris,
Aliums.. ). I want to know if I can go ahead and plant them now or
should I wait for few more weeks. I live in New jersey and
temparatures here are still in the 80s. Thanks.

I'm in Rochester, which is just slightly cooler than your climate. I've
planted as late as mid-November. You could plant now, based on the theory
that it could turn colder in a week, or not. The weather shmexperts aren't
offering much guidance, as you've probably noticed. Or, you would wait as
much as another month. It won't make much difference.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"wowfed" wrote in message
oups.com..
.
Hello people,
I have bought several spring blooming bulbs.( Hyacinths,
Iris, Aliums.. ). I want to know if I can go ahead and
plant them now or should I wait for few more weeks. I live
in New jersey and temparatures here are still in the 80s.

I'm in Rochester, which is just slightly cooler than your
climate. I've planted as late as mid-November. You could
plant now, based on the theory that it could turn colder in
a week, or not. The weather shmexperts aren't offering much
guidance, as you've probably noticed. Or, you would wait as
much as another month. It won't make much difference.

unless the ground freezes...
it won't hurt the bulbs to plant them now & it's a lot more
pleasant being out in warm weather planting than in an icy
rain because you're trying to get the bulbs in before it snows
tonight
Joe, i'll be in Rochester around turkey day. is it likely
stores will still have bulbs available or should i bring some
with me? any good garden centers heading east from Rochester
towards Wolcott that you know of?
thanks
lee
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"wowfed" wrote in message
oups.com..
.
[...]

I've never shopped for bulbs that late, but if I were going to, this would
be the place I'd try first. They always seem to have bulbs for forcing, but
this doesn't mean they'll have a large selection of others at that time.
http://www.harrisgardens.com/

When other stores think the season's over for various things, Harris will
still have a supply of stuff to keep gardeners sane through the winter. Give
them a call. It's barely out of your way though, and worth a visit just for
the planting accessories that other stores either don't carry, or charge an
arm and a leg for. Example: Heavy duty plastic planting trays, 6-packs in
sheets of six or eight, etc. Those trays are the best thing since sliced
pepperoni.

If you zoom out this map, you'll see that Harris is about 8 minutes south of
route 104 (the highway), which has an exit for route 250 (Nine Mile Point
Rd).
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1349+F...i=map&ct=title

Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

I've never shopped for bulbs that late, but if I were going
to, this would be the place I'd try first. They always seem
to have bulbs for forcing, but this doesn't mean they'll
have a large selection of others at that time.
http://www.harrisgardens.com/

other than a 2005 veggie list, it looks good.

When other stores think the season's over for various
things, Harris will still have a supply of stuff to keep
gardeners sane through the winter. Give them a call. It's
barely out of your way though, and worth a visit just for
the planting accessories that other stores either don't
carry, or charge an arm and a leg for. Example: Heavy duty
plastic planting trays, 6-packs in sheets of six or eight,
etc. Those trays are the best thing since sliced pepperoni.

yup! if you can keep the kid from tripping over them they last
for several years.
do they also have the sheets of 4 packs? i'm guessing they do
if they have the 6 packs. i had been using peat pellets to
start my heirloom tomatoes, peppers & pumpkins, but was
finding they outgrow the pellets before the weather cooperates
for planting in the garden. i used 4 & 6 packs this year. what
a difference! stronger, healthier seedlings. i'm a convert!

If you zoom out this map, you'll see that Harris is about 8
minutes south of route 104 (the highway), which has an exit
for route 250 (Nine Mile Point Rd).

ok. i'm familiar with Nine Mile Point Rd. thanks!
lee

Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

wowfed wrote:
Hello people,
I have bought several spring blooming bulbs.( Hyacinths, Iris,
Aliums.. ). I want to know if I can go ahead and plant them now or
should I wait for few more weeks. I live in New jersey and
temparatures here are still in the 80s. Thanks.

Wait til it cools down to 45 F.

DErryl
Calgary
Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 7, 12:01?pm, Derryl Killan wrote:
wowfed wrote:
Hello people,
I have bought several spring blooming bulbs.( Hyacinths, Iris,
Aliums.. ). I want to know if I can go ahead and plant them now or
should I wait for few more weeks. I live in New jersey and
temparatures here are still in the 80s. Thanks.

Wait til it cools down to 45 F.

It's probably already 45F at night... the 80F warm spell is very
temporary. By the time it's 45F during the day the ground will begin
to freeze at night. If the local nursery centers are selling bulbs
now then now is the time to plant. Btw, iris doesn't grow from bulbs,
they grow from corms.... get iris in right away.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

It's probably already 45F at night...

No, actually, it's been in the 60's.

the 80F warm spell is very
temporary.

Yes, it is October, but...

By the time it's 45F during the day the ground will begin
to freeze at night.

Not hardly.

If the local nursery centers are selling bulbs
now then now is the time to plant. Btw, iris doesn't grow from bulbs,
they grow from corms....

No they don't, Sheldon, most grow from rhizomes, although some from
drier climates do come from bulbs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(plant)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a