GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165695-what-veggies-can-i-grow-my-home-expect-work.html)

Leythos 07-10-2007 03:36 PM

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow
some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on
a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a darker area of
my home, but I don't know much about veggies indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my food -
I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple 5 Gal
planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have clue if it
would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions, carrots, and
herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

JoeSpareBedroom 07-10-2007 03:45 PM

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow
some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on
a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a darker area of
my home, but I don't know much about veggies indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my food -
I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple 5 Gal
planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have clue if it
would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions, carrots, and
herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

--

Leythos

Unless you're rich enough to afford the electric bill for thousands of watts
worth of lights, there's not much you can grow. That's the only way you'll
begin to approach sunlight. A friend of mine grew some pretty weak lettuce
indoors, using just window light, but this was in a summer room with windows
all around. You might be able to do that with lights.

David Hare-Scott 08-10-2007 12:41 AM

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow
some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on
a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a darker area of
my home, but I don't know much about veggies indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my food -
I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple 5 Gal
planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have clue if it
would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions, carrots, and
herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

A large window that faces the sun would be a much better start than a dark
area even if you are going to add artificial lighting. Even so you will be
up against it as veges and herbs like full sun.

You don't say why you want to grow in the house or what your winter is like
so we are in the dark as much as your plants (groan).

If you are thinking of spending money on lamps and the power to run them
(not insignificant) you might be better off investing in some sort of small
greenhouse on a sunny balcony or spot in the yard. Your climate will
determine how elaborate this needs to be or if it will work at all.

David

Billy[_4_] 08-10-2007 02:09 AM

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You've a northern exposure? Forget house gardening. Buy an easel and
start painting or drawing. Shadows change slowly, if at all, on still
life with northern exposures. Oh, you should probably get a beret, while
your at it, and an old beat up Volvo. Don't cut off the ear until
you're established and in your wormwood phase:-)
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

Leythos 08-10-2007 02:34 AM

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

In article , says...

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks to everyone that replied - I'll just give up, it's not worth the
cost at this time.

FragileWarrior 12-10-2007 01:15 PM

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

Leythos wrote in
:

In article , says...

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You could grow herbs. A windowsill with good light will provide most of
what you need for most herbs. Get some decorative containers from the
thrift store (I use older-type cream pitchers) and pot some up. Basil is
pretty reliable and there are lots of different types. My garlic chives
are even producing a bloom right now. And I love the miniature thymes
because they can go in teeny little pots.