Old 16-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Advice on Wisteria and olive tree

I am new to gardening so hopefully someone can help. I bought a 4m high wisteria (grafted) to be planted on the front of my house. I have seen these over bay windows and it looks really good. My question is if its safe to plant these near the wall (about 30cm from thewall)? I have read some posts on the internet and some of them say that the westeria will not cause any subsidence or wall damage while others say it could cause damage. I really dont want to plant it if its likely to cause any structual damage. I have seen other gradens on my street with them next to the wall!

The second question is if the olive tree can cause structal damage to building near by?
Old 17-10-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice on Wisteria and olive tree

"ilansachi" wrote in message

I am new to gardening so hopefully someone can help. I bought a 4m high
wisteria (grafted) to be planted on the front of my house. I have seen
these over bay windows and it looks really good. My question is if its
safe to plant these near the wall (about 30cm from thewall)? I have
read some posts on the internet and some of them say that the westeria
will not cause any subsidence or wall damage while others say it could
cause damage. I really dont want to plant it if its likely to cause any
structual damage. I have seen other gradens on my street with them next
to the wall!

Wisteria does not sucker on to the wall like ivy so it can always be pruned
or removed if required. However with age it can become very heavy so you
would want to make sure that it is well attached to its support and that the
support it is on is strong enough to hold the weight.

David

Old 17-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks David, thats good that it won't do any damge to the wall. Would the roots cause any problems for the foundation? The wisteria I bought is not in a big pot and its 4 meters tall so I was hoping that the roots are not going spread too much and cause any problems for the foundation. I found something on the net that said the roots could absorb the moisture and dry the walls causing damage?