GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   groundcovers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165918-groundcovers.html)

[email protected] 18-10-2007 03:05 AM

groundcovers

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

paghat 18-10-2007 03:43 AM

groundcovers

In article . com,
wrote:

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

I'd recommend DWARF varieties of hedera helix. The "needlepoint" variety
spreads quickly, not "invasive" in terms of spreading to the woods &
injuring the invironment, but very aggressive where planted, & easily
out-competes weeds. But if you can be a little more patient try some
VARIEGATED dwarf varieties, those those with white or gold or silver in
the leaves. They take longer to fill in spots but eventually they do it, &
the variegations add a feeling of light even in shady spots.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html

JoeSpareBedroom 18-10-2007 03:43 AM

groundcovers

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

Lamium "Beacon Silver" will do the trick. Works nicely in Western NY, so
your climate won't present any problems. Spreads quickly, but easy to pull
if it travels to spots where you don't want it.

In this picture, it looks more like a mound than a ground cover, but we
don't know what's underneath the plant:
http://www.stauder.net/bildearkiv/Lamium%20maculatum%20'Beacon%20Silver'%20RS.jpg

It's the light colored patch near the bottom.

Pachysandra will also work, but it spreads more slowly.

AlanG 18-10-2007 05:25 AM

groundcovers

Another possibility is ajuga, but it might be too invasive for you. Spreads
fairly rapidly and takes no prisoners.
http://tinyurl.com/4xb9k

Pennyaline 18-10-2007 05:46 AM

groundcovers

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Lamium "Beacon Silver" will do the trick. Works nicely in Western NY, so
your climate won't present any problems. Spreads quickly, but easy to pull
if it travels to spots where you don't want it.

JSB, you're in the Rochester NY area, right?

That's not Western NY, honey. That's the Finger Lakes Region!

There is a difference between the two in weather patterns and heat domes.

I know WNY. I spent far too much of my life in Chautauqua County.

I miss Rachacha, though

Cheryl Isaak 18-10-2007 02:02 PM

groundcovers

On 10/17/07 10:05 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here in NH. Does reseed
some and doesn't seem mind sun or shade. Mine is one a hill.
Cheryl

JoeSpareBedroom 18-10-2007 02:17 PM

groundcovers

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 10/17/07 10:05 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here in NH. Does reseed
some and doesn't seem mind sun or shade. Mine is one a hill.
Cheryl

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in your neighborhood?

Cheryl Isaak 18-10-2007 03:01 PM

groundcovers

wrote:

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here in NH. Does reseed
some and doesn't seem mind sun or shade. Mine is one a hill.
Cheryl

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in your neighborhood?

Don't touch it. In fact nothing seems to touch it. Want some?

enigma 18-10-2007 03:35 PM

groundcovers

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 10/18/07 9:17 AM, in article
, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here
in NH. Does reseed some and doesn't seem mind sun or
shade. Mine is one a hill.

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in
your neighborhood?

Don't touch it. In fact nothing seems to touch it. Want
some?

i can ferry it over. i'll be in Rochester turkey weekend. i
may be out there earlier if a certain real estate guy gets his
act together & sets up an appointment (263 acres, 1 mile river
frontage, 4 bed/2.5 bath house, barn. yeah!)
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

Cheryl Isaak 18-10-2007 06:11 PM

groundcovers

On 10/18/07 10:35 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 10/18/07 9:17 AM, in article
, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here
in NH. Does reseed some and doesn't seem mind sun or
shade. Mine is one a hill.

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in
your neighborhood?

Don't touch it. In fact nothing seems to touch it. Want
some?

i can ferry it over. i'll be in Rochester turkey weekend. i
may be out there earlier if a certain real estate guy gets his
act together & sets up an appointment (263 acres, 1 mile river
frontage, 4 bed/2.5 bath house, barn. yeah!)
lee

Sounds like a plan.....

JoeSpareBedroom 18-10-2007 06:21 PM

groundcovers

wrote:

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here in NH. Does
reseed
some and doesn't seem mind sun or shade. Mine is one a hill.
Cheryl

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in your
neighborhood?

Don't touch it. In fact nothing seems to touch it. Want some?

I might. First, I need to do a bit of research about how much dryness and
acidity it'll put up with. I'm looking for something to grow under a pine
tree, a miserable environment. It can rain for 3 days straight and under
that tree, it'll still be just damp.

JoeSpareBedroom 18-10-2007 06:29 PM

groundcovers

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 10/18/07 9:17 AM, in article
, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here
in NH. Does reseed some and doesn't seem mind sun or
shade. Mine is one a hill.

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in
your neighborhood?

Don't touch it. In fact nothing seems to touch it. Want
some?

i can ferry it over. i'll be in Rochester turkey weekend. i
may be out there earlier if a certain real estate guy gets his
act together & sets up an appointment (263 acres, 1 mile river
frontage, 4 bed/2.5 bath house, barn. yeah!)
lee

Which river?

Cheryl Isaak 18-10-2007 06:54 PM

groundcovers

wrote:

[...]

It works on a sandy slope and it is growing around some scrub juniper.....

enigma 18-10-2007 07:54 PM

groundcovers

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
i can ferry it over. i'll be in Rochester turkey weekend.
i may be out there earlier if a certain real estate guy
gets his act together & sets up an appointment (263 acres,
1 mile river frontage, 4 bed/2.5 bath house, barn. yeah!)

Which river?

Black River. yeah, Tug Hill plateau. i like snow :)
that house is a bit less than 2 hours to Rochester. close, but
far enough to keep the relatives from just 'popping in' ...

lee

JoeSpareBedroom 18-10-2007 07:59 PM

groundcovers

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
i can ferry it over. i'll be in Rochester turkey weekend.
i may be out there earlier if a certain real estate guy
gets his act together & sets up an appointment (263 acres,
1 mile river frontage, 4 bed/2.5 bath house, barn. yeah!)

Which river?

Black River. yeah, Tug Hill plateau. i like snow :)
that house is a bit less than 2 hours to Rochester. close, but
far enough to keep the relatives from just 'popping in' ...

lee

Nice area.