GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   URGENT!! Withering indoor clematis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165931-urgent-withering-indoor-clematis.html)

hakakahn 18-10-2007 09:55 PM

URGENT!! Withering indoor clematis

Ok, so I bought a clematis about 3 weeks ago or more and it is living inside till it is strong enough to go out in our british weather.
However it has been wilting and looking dry on the leaves ever since.
I tried re-planting into a bigger pot with fresh compost and that hasn't worked.

I read this;
http://www.howellsonclematis.co.uk/Pages/Gnews14.html

Is it this that is causing it? Or this:

I don't know if its what the problem is?:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...matis_wilt.asp

Would value any advice. Please can somebody help urgently- as I don't want it to die!!!!!

Bill R 18-10-2007 11:59 PM

http://tinyurl.com/ytgprf

http://tinyurl.com/2alktv

Would value any advice. Please can somebody help urgently- as I don't
want it to die!!!!!

Plant it outside NOW. Most likely it hasn't been getting enough light.

And, by the way, using fresh compost on a plant that you keep indoors is
NEVER a good idea.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

hakakahn 19-10-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill R (Post 754991)
hakakahn wrote:
[...]

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs round here won't be got rid of.
I can put it outside, does it need to go in a bigger pot as I only have pots in my garden?
Also why re the compost? I did it because I've had a lot of root infections in plants and I thought it might be that that might be affecting it. Also I changed the compost cos I always get flies in it! And I wasn't finding advice anywhere else and it was starting to look awful so thought maybe better drainage would suit it.

Bill R 20-10-2007 12:34 AM

hakakahn wrote:

-

[...]

Pots are fine outside for a lot of plants but a Clematis does MUCH
better when planted in the ground. I have some that are over 20 years
old and they bloom their tails off every season. If you want to keep it
in a pot make sure that you repot it every couple of seasons. The pot
size depends on the root base. When the plant is root bound it needs to
be repotted.

A natural killer of slugs is stale beer. In areas where you see them
put a dish or cup (the yogurt cups work well) of beer in the cup. Put
it out early in the day so that it is stale by the time it gets dark.
The slugs will climb into it and die. You will likely have to clean the
cups and change the beer every few days so it is a good idea to use
small cups and not fill them all the way.

You can get rid of flies in your indoor plant's soil by using a small
amount (less than a capful) of dish washing soap mixed with about a
liter of water. It may take several weeks because there may be several
generations of eggs in the soil.

As for compose, MOST of it is too rich for indoor plants. If you are
going to use it mix it at a ratio of 3:1 with a good potting product
(three parts of potting mix and one part compose).

hakakahn 20-10-2007 01:56 PM

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs round here
won't be got rid of.
I can put it outside, does it need to go in a bigger pot as I only have
pots in my garden?
Also why re the compost? I did it because I've had a lot of root
infections in plants and I thought it might be that that might be
affecting it. Also I changed the compost cos I always get flies in it!
And I wasn't finding advice anywhere else and it was starting to look
awful so thought maybe better drainage would suit it.
[/i][/color]

[...]

Remove NO_WEEDS_ in e-mail address to reply by e-mail[/quote]

Thanks for the info about potting, I'll see what happens. the compost might be too rich, what would I mix with? soil? Cos I haven't any of that...

As I say, I've tried everything with slugs (egg shells, copper tape, garlic, onion, bran flakes, salt, sand, gravel, fir tree needles, coffee grounds, beer traps, vaseline, sand, gravel, Westlands slug Blocker (http://www.gardenhealth.com/product/42/81). )

Thanks anyway..

Billy[_4_] 21-10-2007 06:31 AM

URGENT!! Withering indoor clematis

In article ,
hakakahn wrote:

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs round here
won't be got rid of.

"Sluggo" or nematodes should take care of the slugs and snails.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

hakakahn 21-10-2007 03:01 PM

I'll check them out, keep meaning to. As long as they aren't harmful to wildlife as slug pellets killed my cat. So I've always seen them as a last resort..

enigma 21-10-2007 04:07 PM

URGENT!! Withering indoor clematis

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

In article ,
hakakahn wrote:

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs
round here won't be got rid of.

"Sluggo" or nematodes should take care of the slugs and
snails.

where does one get the slug removing nematodes? i can't use
Sluggo in the pastures, & slugs are the intermediary vector
for meningeal worms.
lee

Billy[_4_] 21-10-2007 06:30 PM

URGENT!! Withering indoor clematis

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

In article ,
hakakahn wrote:

I kept it indoors in it's slightly larger pot as the slugs
round here won't be got rid of.

"Sluggo" or nematodes should take care of the slugs and
snails.

where does one get the slug removing nematodes? i can't use
Sluggo in the pastures, & slugs are the intermediary vector
for meningeal worms.
lee

I found the nematodes by Googling after reading a reference to them in
"Teaming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. Sluggo claims
to be good on vegetable gardens up to the day of harvest. I've tried to
elicit negative responses to the product but so far no one has
criticized it. I don't like the idea of using chemicals either but,
damn, it seems to be about 90% effective and saves me most of my
midnight excursions into the garden patch.