GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn Fertiliser Advice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165986-lawn-fertiliser-advice.html)

Erskine 19-10-2007 02:26 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

I have been looking for an autumn lawn fertiliser without moss killer and they seem to be few and far between. I know that Scott's produce an Autumn Lawn Builder which does not have a moss killer but I find it hard to get a hold of. The same applies for the Spring feeds.

What I am wondering is how much damage a fertiliser with moss killer can do to a lawn with a lot of moss. Some years ago I remember applying a fertilser with moss killer which left the lawn very badly patched and I had to dig it up and re-seed the whole lot.

Are more recent mixtures (such as Evergreen) still as lethal?

JoeSpareBedroom 19-10-2007 03:31 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

"Erskine" wrote in message

I have been looking for an autumn lawn fertiliser without moss killer
and they seem to be few and far between. I know that Scott's produce an
Autumn Lawn Builder which does not have a moss killer but I find it hard
to get a hold of. The same applies for the Spring feeds.

What I am wondering is how much damage a fertiliser with moss killer
can do to a lawn with a lot of moss. Some years ago I remember applying
a fertilser with moss killer which left the lawn very badly patched and
I had to dig it up and re-seed the whole lot.

Are more recent mixtures (such as Evergreen) still as lethal?

Where have you tried to find a plain fertilizer? What types of stores, in
other words? And, where do you live? Someone in this newsgroup may know of a
source in your area.

beecrofter[_2_] 19-10-2007 04:06 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

Moss is more a function of soil pH, compaction, and shade

Start by testing and correcting the pH (which will also make
fertilizers perform better)
Increase the amount of organic material in your soil (return the
clippings to the soil)
Avoid products which damage your earthworms

Or be a happy idiot and blindly apply whatever is being advertised.

JoeSpareBedroom 19-10-2007 04:15 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

"beecrofter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Moss is more a function of soil pH, compaction, and shade

Start by testing and correcting the pH (which will also make
fertilizers perform better)
Increase the amount of organic material in your soil (return the
clippings to the soil)
Avoid products which damage your earthworms

Or be a happy idiot and blindly apply whatever is being advertised.

He said he's looking for fertilizer WITHOUT moss killer.

Erskine 19-10-2007 09:54 PM

I live in the Paisley, Renfrewshire area and have tried a variety of local garden centres. I have also tried the larger stores such as B&Q and Focus but all they seem to stock is Evergreen Autumn Feed with Mosskiller.

JoeSpareBedroom 20-10-2007 03:32 AM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

"Erskine" wrote in message

--
Erskine

That's ridiculous.

Does your lawn really need to be fed, or (don't be insulted) or are you just
responding to an urge created by advertising?

JoeSpareBedroom 20-10-2007 02:32 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Erskine contains these words:

"Erskine" wrote in message

Where have you tried to find a plain fertilizer? What types of stores,
in
other words? And, where do you live? Someone in this newsgroup may know
of a
source in your area.

I live in the Paisley, Renfrewshire area and have tried a variety of
local garden centres. I have also tried the larger stores such as B&Q
and Focus but all they seem to stock is Evergreen Autumn Feed with
Mosskiller.

Well, you may not realise that you're talking to a worldwide audience,
some of whom are pretty hazy about the location of Britain, let alone
Paisley :-).

Plain lawn fertiliser without mosskiller is certainly available at
better suppliers .I suggest you try either, the big B&Q at Clydebank,
Dobbies Garden Centre over at Milngavie, or Rouken Glen GC ( on the edge
of the south-side park nr Eastwood.).

Janet.

I'm wondering if perhaps Erskine phoned garden centers instead of visiting,
and was the victim of drooling teenage clerk syndrome. A clueless kid
answers the phone and says whatever will end the phonecall quickly so he/she
can get back to doing nothing.

Erskine 20-10-2007 03:46 PM

Thanks, I actually visited the large B&Q in Paisley and a few other Garden Centres. I didn't phone but checked the internet sites for Dobbies and Rouken Glen but I may take a run out tomorrow to see if their shop stock is different from their sites.

beecrofter[_2_] 20-10-2007 05:37 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

On Oct 19, 11:15 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"beecrofter" wrote in message

oups.com...

Moss is more a function of soil pH, compaction, and shade

Start by testing and correcting the pH (which will also make
fertilizers perform better)
Increase the amount of organic material in your soil (return the
clippings to the soil)
Avoid products which damage your earthworms

Or be a happy idiot and blindly apply whatever is being advertised.

He said he's looking for fertilizer WITHOUT moss killer.

Yes and by giving the grass the conditions it needs for optimal growth
it will overtake the moss without leaving bare patches.

JoeSpareBedroom 20-10-2007 05:40 PM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

"beecrofter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 11:15 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"beecrofter" wrote in message

oups.com...

Moss is more a function of soil pH, compaction, and shade

Start by testing and correcting the pH (which will also make
fertilizers perform better)
Increase the amount of organic material in your soil (return the
clippings to the soil)
Avoid products which damage your earthworms

Or be a happy idiot and blindly apply whatever is being advertised.

He said he's looking for fertilizer WITHOUT moss killer.

Yes and by giving the grass the conditions it needs for optimal growth
it will overtake the moss without leaving bare patches.

Do we know why he doesn't want moss killer? Possible reasons:

1) Doesn't want any more chemical ingredients than absolutely necessary.

2) Has moss and wants to keep it.

3) Doesn't have moss.

Please tell me which reason is correct, since he hasn't told us.

Erskine 20-10-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSpareBedroom (Post 755269)
[...]

I thought that I had said in the initial post. I don't want to apply a mosskiller if it will leave bare patches. My lawn has so much moss that I do not want to apply a mosskiller as it could leave the lawn with vast, unsightly, bare areas.

Phisherman[_1_] 21-10-2007 12:17 AM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

"Erskine" wrote in message

Where have you tried to find a plain fertilizer? What types of stores,
in
other words? And, where do you live? Someone in this newsgroup may know
of a
source in your area.

I live in the Paisley, Renfrewshire area and have tried a variety of
local garden centres. I have also tried the larger stores such as B&Q
and Focus but all they seem to stock is Evergreen Autumn Feed with
Mosskiller.

Try Home Depot or Lowes. Look for the slow-release fertilizers, which
most of them are slow release. "Vigaro" is at Home Depot, "Sta-Green"
at Lowes. WalMart and KMart may have some, although sadly these
stores have moved out garden supplies with holiday stuff. This is
probably the most important time of year to fertilize a lawn (most
grass roots continue to grow throughout the winter.) Generally "Weed
and Feed" products should be avoided, surprisingly they are best
sellers. It is also a good time to fertilize your deciduous trees
too.

Ann 21-10-2007 01:56 AM

Lawn Fertiliser Advice

Phisherman expounded:

Try Home Depot or Lowes.

Do they have them over the pond?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Erskine 21-10-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phisherman[_1_] (Post 755319)

wrote in message

[...]

Managed to get Evergreen Autumn Lawn Builder at a Garden Centre 20 miles away.

It's down and done for the winter now!

Thanks for everyone's help :-)

Erskine 23-10-2007 05:56 AM

Cardwell Bay, Gourock. Smashing Garden Centre!