Old 19-10-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shovels, Bat, Gun used over tree-lined boundary

Local headline from NC:

Fences may make good neighbors, but one tree line in Dunn has marked a
feud that has included a battle with shovels, swings of a bat and a
drawn gun.

Can read the whole story he
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1945152/

~Rae

Old 19-10-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 19, 4:50 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:40:09 -0700, raeannsimpson

wrote:
Local headline from NC:

Fences may make good neighbors, but one tree line in Dunn has marked a
feud that has included a battle with shovels, swings of a bat and a
drawn gun.

Can read the whole story he
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1945152/

~Rae

Ok, I had to chuckle anyway.

How you doin', girl? I've been wondering about you. I'm guessing
you're plenty busy, given the kids, school, and fall time.

We've been blessed with abundant rain lately, though it is slowing
harvest considerably. I see you guys are still in a serious hurtin'
way.

Speaking of rain, it's about to start raining babies again.......Number
Three, girl baby, is scheduled for entry in eleven days.

Care
Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Yeah, I thought this article was worth a chuckle or two. People get
so carried away sometimes. Thankfully, the only "neighbors" I have
are the 4-legged kind...pigs, horses, cattle, and then there are some
2-legged ones that go by the name of turkey...LOL!

We aren't doing too bad...just staying busy. I've been lurking around
here, trying to keep up with what's going, but staying quite for most
parts. Still doing the google thing cause for all it's faults, it is
free! That's more in my budget these days. This drought is hitting
us hard in the wallet, so to speak.

Just got back from a trip to the coast. Took my sis & the kids...we
went to visit my folks & grandma. Did some fishing...caught some
flounder, a spot, a croaker, & some spanish mackerel. Left the "ole"
man at home, hard at work. It's planting time for the winter rye, so
that's gonna be keeping him busy for awhile.

Still got the house in construction mode (water damage from a cracked
shower distributor/mixer.) Ruined a bathroom & my bedroom. Thank God
for HO insurance!!!! Should have everything fixed back up in 2-3
weeks. Just waiting for the contractors to have time to get to it...

So, how you feeling these days? I remembered it was getting time for
the new one to be coming along. I assume y'all have everything in
place for a baby girl by now. Still having qualms about it being a
girl?? LOL. My little girl is something else...great mannered baby
most of the time, but when she gets mad...everyone knows it!! You
know those fireworks called "screamers"?? That's what she sounds like
when she hollers...pure makes your ears ring for minutes on end when
she's through hollering! Speaking of which, she & the big boy are
having a playful screaming match now! Wouldn't take nothing for
either one of my kids though.

On topic, drought & all, I have tomatoes coming off the vine
again...weird for me to have tomatoes growing & blooming for this time
of year...wonder how long that's gonna last???

~ Rae

Old 21-10-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in
:

Everything is ready for the little girl! Qualms? Are you
serious? We haven't had a baby girl around here for over
twenty years! You laugh, little sister!! *Some* of us are
kinda like freakin' out about this.

just treat her like the boys. the world doesn't need any more
princesses.

I'm used to changin' little boys!

girls are easier. no surprise geysers

Not to worry, though. It will be really cool and I betcha
I can whip a nappy off and on just as easily as with the
little boys. Just a few minor adjustments in technique!
;-)

no refinement needed, but you don't really need to hold the
new nappy over the top while you whip the old one off. just
don't stand at the foot end of the changing spot (i always
used the floor)

And don't you be talking about screamers!!! So far, so
good on that account. Grandma doesn't put up with crying
babies......she scoops the little things up in seconds and
finds the way to satisfy 'em. Papa can stand a little more
fussing. Our first had colic.....now *that* was fun!
After that, a little screamin and fussin is just fine.

mine had colic... and sensory issues. if i held him he was
fine. i held him for eons... but he was walking by 6 months &
climbing trees by 13 months... he still likes to cuddle a lot
at 7 years though

We are still getting loads of cherry tomatoes. The others
went funky when we had a hot spell and then came back with
a lot of growth, but few tomatoes. Having some fried green
though.......yummo!

cherry toms hate to quit. i have some near a rock wall (i'm in
NH) & they're still going. i'll be bringing at least one
inside. last year the brought in plants kept producing until
February. then i had a spidermite issue...
lee
Old 21-10-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/21/07 12:27 AM, in article ,
"Charlie" Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:48:03 -0700, raeannsimpson
wrote:

Still got the house in construction mode (water damage from a cracked
shower distributor/mixer.) Ruined a bathroom & my bedroom. Thank God
for HO insurance!!!! Should have everything fixed back up in 2-3
weeks. Just waiting for the contractors to have time to get to it...

So, uhhh, what........ya'll doing the washtub routine? ;-) Been
there, done that, no deal!

So, how you feeling these days? I remembered it was getting time for
the new one to be coming along. I assume y'all have everything in
place for a baby girl by now. Still having qualms about it being a
girl?? LOL. My little girl is something else...great mannered baby
most of the time, but when she gets mad...everyone knows it!! You
know those fireworks called "screamers"?? That's what she sounds like
when she hollers...pure makes your ears ring for minutes on end when
she's through hollering! Speaking of which, she & the big boy are
having a playful screaming match now! Wouldn't take nothing for
either one of my kids though.

I'm feeling pretty good for an old fart that needs more exercise and
more time away from work, but hey, it could be much worse. Came to
terms with some of the personal "demons"; exorcised some, accepted some
for the time being. Working on accepting that what is...is. And to
deal with it, though I still find myself losing it once in a while.

Everything is ready for the little girl! Qualms? Are you serious? We
haven't had a baby girl around here for over twenty years! You laugh,
little sister!! *Some* of us are kinda like freakin' out about this.

My advice - hang around a hockey rink - starting at birth. By no means, let
her watch the figure skaters (known locally as twirl girls, and that is by
no means a compliment. And they don't have much nice to say about the female
hockey players)

Then again, last week, she was running around in a pair of skate board
sneakers, soccer shorts (hand me downs, she hates soccer), a "Bring the
Pain" shirt (features a pair of hockey gloves) and a head band covered in
hearts.

Old 21-10-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

enigma expounded:

mine had colic... and sensory issues. if i held him he was
fine. i held him for eons... but he was walking by 6 months &
climbing trees by 13 months... he still likes to cuddle a lot
at 7 years though

7 year old boys are so much fun. Just add 10 years, though.......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 22-10-2007, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

(3 months into the countdown, 3 to go and praying for a really snowy winter)

I hear ya. I'm a hardass, though. Neither one of the boys got their
license until they'd driven *with me* for a solid year. I made them
drive me in all weather. They went through driver's ed, too, but
that's basically a joke for driving experience. I have to say,
they're both good drivers, the eldest (27) is a truck driver for the
Pine Street Inn, youngest (23) drives into Quincy every day to take
the T into his electrician apprentice job in downtown Boston. So far
both have good records, no tickets, and only one accident (youngest,
in a work truck, found not at fault).
Old 22-10-2007, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in
:

Ok......I'm going to try that with the Mexican Midget.
Seems as if the flavor of tomatoes is improving
now....likely cuz they are nearly done for. Did you have
your tomato under lights, or situated for natural light? I
ask because the setup of this house sucks bigtime for
natural light.

i have grow lights. i use this set-up:
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/fac...lite/index.htm
( http://tinyurl.com/2dq7v2 )

it's not the most attractive piece of furniture, but i have a
lot of cactii & amyrillis indoors over winter, and i start big
flats (8 4packs each) of everything from toms to squash in the
spring.
my growlights are next to the corner where my tortoises live,
so they get some advantage from the lights too, although they
have sun spot bulbs on their pens. the tortoises each have
their own pothos plants, although Mortis tends to graze his
down...
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old 22-10-2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/21/07 10:04 PM, in article ,
"Charlie" Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:27:50 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

My advice - hang around a hockey rink - starting at birth. By no means, let
her watch the figure skaters (known locally as twirl girls, and that is by
no means a compliment. And they don't have much nice to say about the female
hockey players)

Twirl girl! I like that and *will* use that phrase.

Doesn't it have a great ring to it.
(NOW - for the figure skating fans. I know those girls are athletes and
incredibly strong. But they started it

Shoot, no hockey rink within a hundred miles. I do have a living room
that gets nearly that wild with my two grown boys, a four year old and
me. We have #2 in training at four months already. She will get an
education. Her mother is cool about her not being prissy. The other
DIL........now that is a different story if they have another and the
baby is a girl. One can only hope. :-)

#3 will be ready to join #1 and #2 in the garden next summer for DIRT!

smiling

Then again, last week, she was running around in a pair of skate board
sneakers, soccer shorts (hand me downs, she hates soccer), a "Bring the
Pain" shirt (features a pair of hockey gloves) and a head band covered in
hearts.

OMG....what a mental image.......thanks.

I should have taken a picture for prosperity.