Old 24-10-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please help identify this lawn-looking weed. Thanks.

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

THANKS A LOT!

Jae

Old 24-10-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

" expounded:

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

THANKS A LOT!

Jae

Sorry to respond twice, but I misspelled the name. Does this look
like the tree? Euonymus atropurpureus :
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioima...cies/euat3.htm
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 24-10-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

" expounded:

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

THANKS A LOT!

Jae

Looks like quackgrass. Tough to eradicate, especially from a lawn.

http://csuturf.colostate.edu/pdffile...0and%20MGT.pdf

Know your enemy G
http://www.hampdenparkcoop.com/features/quackgrass.php
Old 25-10-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:41:13 -0700, wrote:
http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

Bears a remarkable resemblence to crabgrass, though I hate to do more
than a suggested id of a grassy weed by photo, especially one in vegetative
condition.
http://alfalfa.okstate.edu/weeds/sum...bgrass-074.htm
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawntalk/lawntalk20.html

If it is crabgrass, the cure is mostly cultural... proper mowing
and fertilization. It's an annual species and there's probably
20 years worth of seed in the soil. Easiest thing to do is just to
get the lawn growing so well that it can outcompete the crabgrass,
which is actually fairly easy to do.

If it's quackgrass, it's another kettle of fish entirely -- that's a rather
nasty rhizomatous perennial. Or you might have still another species.

Your local extension service can id it for you easily, but in any case,
a thicker lawn will make your weed problem much easier to solve.

Kay