Old 27-10-2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn Dilemma

Hi,
Due to construction projects on two consecutive years, my lawn is a
complete disaster. Because I didn't want to start grass in the middle
of the summer, large portions of the lawn were left bare this year.
Of course these areas ended up infested with crab grass. I put some
seed down in mid September which seems to be doing fine. However,
there are several areas that need to be re-seeded.

Now for the dilemma part. Next spring I plan on putting down corn
gluten as a pre emergence weed killer/fertilizer to take care of the
crab grass. If I proceed with that strategy, I cannot reseed for a
couple of months which will leave me with poor grass coverage in many
areas.
My options as I understand them a

1. Seed again now - Boston area - and hope that we have enough time
for the seed to germinate before winter. If the seed doesn't germinate
will it be "close enough" next April for the corn gluten to have no
effect on the good grass seed?
2. Skip the corn gluten this year and reseed in the spring as planned.
3. Kill the crabgrass this spring and wait until next fall to reseed?

I should also mention that I have young kids and I will not be
willing use anything that is not environmentally friendly. Any advice
will be apprciated.

Thanks,
Stu

Old 27-10-2007, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Stu Pidassle" wrote in message My options as I
understand them a

1. Seed again now - Boston area - and hope that we have enough time
for the seed to germinate before winter. If the seed doesn't germinate
will it be "close enough" next April for the corn gluten to have no
effect on the good grass seed?
2. Skip the corn gluten this year and reseed in the spring as planned.
3. Kill the crabgrass this spring and wait until next fall to reseed?

4th option- mark the bare spots and dormant seed in the winter. If you use a
specialty pre-emergent like Tupersan it will not affect your grass seeds. Or
don't put pre-emergent on your marked spots and get a Weed Hound to hand
pull those areas.

I know you prefer the corn gluten (as do I) but sometimes getting decent
turf established anyway you can and *then* going organic is the fastest way
of getting where you want to go.
Also- lawns are a work in progress and regardless of how you handle spring
you may need to overseed certain areas each fall until you get a good stand
of grass established.
IMO.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 27-10-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 27, 9:39 am, "Buderschnookie" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. I agree on the overseeding basically each fall as
I build up the turf . I am considering a derivation to what you are
suggesting. There are many uneven spots in the lawn. In the spring I
will do some, airating spot filling with loam to help fill the low
spots and settle the high spots. If I use the corn gluten, can I
spread a thin layer of new topsoil in selected areas without worrying
about the barrier that gluten creates?

Thanks again,
Stu

Old 28-10-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Stu Pidassle" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm not in Boston, but I would seed again now. If it doesn't sprout now, it may
before the crabgrass will in the spring. Hold off on the gluten until the last
reasonable time to give the grass a chance.

Bob

Old 28-10-2007, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 04:35:50 -0700, Stu Pidassle
wrote:

[...]

It could be too late to seed unless you think you've got 3 weeks of no
frost. You could heavily seed the most crab-grass problem areas, and
protect with straw. Next year apply the pre-emergence twice and
hand-pull any crabgrass, or at least prevent it from seeding.

Old 30-10-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Do you have trees in the area?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.