GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Atlanta's Ivy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/166444-atlantas-ivy.html)

[email protected] 05-11-2007 01:17 AM

Atlanta's Ivy

I recently visited Atlanta, Georgia and liked the looks of all the ivy
growing in the yards. Especially on the hillsides, as my north
Florida home has some hills and shady areas I'd like to cover up. I
took a few cuttings from an Atlanta city park and now have them
soaking in a glass of water.

What type of ivy is it?

Should I plant this ivy in my yard?

Will it grow here in north Florida?

Is this ivy invasive?

Answers/opinions are appreciated.

Patrick

cat daddy 05-11-2007 01:34 AM

Atlanta's Ivy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently visited Atlanta, Georgia and liked the looks of all the ivy
growing in the yards. Especially on the hillsides, as my north
Florida home has some hills and shady areas I'd like to cover up. I
took a few cuttings from an Atlanta city park and now have them
soaking in a glass of water.

What type of ivy is it?

If it's kudzu, you probably committed a crime.
http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzu/

Should I plant this ivy in my yard?

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pumo1.htm

[email protected] 05-11-2007 03:06 AM

Atlanta's Ivy

On Nov 4, 7:34 pm, "cat daddy" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I recently visited Atlanta, Georgia and liked the looks of all the ivy
growing in the yards. Especially on the hillsides, as my north
Florida home has some hills and shady areas I'd like to cover up. I
took a few cuttings from an Atlanta city park and now have them
soaking in a glass of water.

What type of ivy is it?

If it's kudzu, you probably committed a crime.http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzu/

I know what Kudzu is; it's not Kudzu. It looks like an English Ivy.

Patrick

JimR 05-11-2007 11:36 PM

Atlanta's Ivy

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 4, 7:34 pm, "cat daddy" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I recently visited Atlanta, Georgia and liked the looks of all the ivy
growing in the yards. Especially on the hillsides, as my north
Florida home has some hills and shady areas I'd like to cover up. I
took a few cuttings from an Atlanta city park and now have them
soaking in a glass of water.

What type of ivy is it?

If it's kudzu, you probably committed a
crime.http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzu/

I know what Kudzu is; it's not Kudzu. It looks like an English Ivy.

Patrick

I don't know what kind of ivy was growing in Atlanta, but I put in Boston
Ivy in a mounded shady area under my azaleas and it has done well to provide
the whole area with ground cover -- central Florida. I also once had a home
in Prattville, AL that had a large front yard that was all pine trees and
Boston ivy, and never needed mowing (I occasionally lopped errant pieces
that started to climb a tree or meander into the driveway). I think that in
the shade, Boston Ivy or something similar should do very well.