Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mini palm question

Last winter after a rare freeze I rescued a neighbors palm they were
throwing away. It is one of those little ones that have several grafts on
it. This one has 4 palms growing off the same stalk. Can I cut off any of
these grafts without killing either the main stalk or the ones I cut off? I
suppose any I cut off won't have any of the roots, so maybe they will be
done for, but I'd like to end up with just two palms on the stalk. Thanks
for your suggestions.

--
Paul O.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

Paul O." wrote in message
. net...
Last winter after a rare freeze I rescued a neighbors palm they were
throwing away. It is one of those little ones that have several grafts on
it. This one has 4 palms growing off the same stalk. Can I cut off any of
these grafts without killing either the main stalk or the ones I cut off?
I suppose any I cut off won't have any of the roots, so maybe they will be
done for, but I'd like to end up with just two palms on the stalk.

Hi,
Palms are never grafted and not many can be layered. Also, very few species
have actual branches. If this plant has one trunk emerging from the soil and
other palms growing from this, then perhaps it was damaged from the cold and
the bud has split and produced other stems. This can happen. If you cut
these off they will die. I am suspecting that perhaps it is not a palm. Post
a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens if possible for an id.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"how" wrote in message
news
Palms are never grafted and not many can be layered. Also, very few
species have actual branches. If this plant has one trunk emerging from
the soil and other palms growing from this, then perhaps it was damaged
from the cold and the bud has split and produced other stems. This can
happen. If you cut these off they will die. I am suspecting that perhaps
it is not a palm. Post a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens if possible
for an id.

I had a reply similar to yours and also thought palms were never grafted but
look at this-
http://www.biblicalimagery.com/brows...img=DLPLTRDP04

As far as the OP- perhaps it is a cycad with bubils?

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 13-11-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

"how" wrote in message
news
Palms are never grafted and not many can be layered.

snip
I had a reply similar to yours and also thought palms were never grafted
but look at this-
http://www.biblicalimagery.com/brows...img=DLPLTRDP04

As far as the OP- perhaps it is a cycad with bubils?

Hi,
What is shown in the link you posted is a date palm stem being removed from,
not grafted to, the parent stem. Layering not grafting.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/Y4360E...e09.htm#bm09.3
With so many things called palms, you may be correct with the cycad guess.
To the OP we need a pic. To Bunderschnookie what kind of palms are you
growing in KY?
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 13-11-2007, 11:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"how" wrote in message

To Bunderschnookie what kind of palms are you growing in KY?

Zero
Just moved back after 30 years in SoFla and miss my palms terribly.
Still have the old house palm page up http://www.cearbhaill.com/Palms.htm

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 14-11-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

"how" wrote in message
news
Palms are never grafted and not many can be layered. Also, very few
species have actual branches. If this plant has one trunk emerging from
the soil and other palms growing from this, then perhaps it was damaged
from the cold and the bud has split and produced other stems. This can
happen. If you cut these off they will die. I am suspecting that perhaps
it is not a palm. Post a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens if possible
for an id.

ok, a couple pics will be going up shortly on A.B.P.G. I'll title them
Mini Palm?

--
Paul O.

Old 14-11-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"Paul O." wrote in message
ok, a couple pics will be going up shortly on A.B.P.G. I'll title them
Mini Palm?

Hi,
For sure a palm, Phoenix reclinata, aka Senegal date, is my guess. The
presence of sharp spines on the lower petiole will confirm it as a Phoenix
of some type. Reclinatas are usually clumping palms, meaning that even if
you cut the stems you don't want, more will grow. You can keep cutting them
off to maintain the look you want. You might be able to split the clump and
have two plants, iffy but possible. Is this to remain a potted plant or is
it going in the land scape as reclinatas get large.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 14-11-2007, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"how" wrote in message
"Paul O." wrote in message
ok, a couple pics will be going up shortly on A.B.P.G. I'll title them
Mini Palm?

Hi,
For sure a palm, Phoenix reclinata, aka Senegal date, is my guess. The
presence of sharp spines on the lower petiole will confirm it as a Phoenix
of some type. Reclinatas are usually clumping palms, meaning that even if
you cut the stems you don't want, more will grow. You can keep cutting
them off to maintain the look you want. You might be able to split the
clump and have two plants, iffy but possible. Is this to remain a potted
plant or is it going in the land scape as reclinatas get large.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good
Thanks, It is going to remain in the pot as long as possible, hopefully
years.

--
Paul O.