Old 15-11-2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pet Safe Vines?

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
As some of you had seen I'd been working on a 34x34' dog run off the
back of our house for our hounds.

I'm finished with the fence and am working on a deck section and 8 foot
ramp that will lead from the house to ground level for the dogs.

Anyway, the deck is built with a height of 3', and a final height of 5'
with the railing. The face side I'm going to use lattice which will go
the full 5 foot height.

I'm going to put a vine on it, but need advice on what would do best.

During summer it gets part sun from 11am till dusk. Fall it's mostly
shaded by the house.

I'd need something that is totally pet safe, just in case they decide to
munch on it. I'm not sure which ones are as none of the sites seem to
cover this info.

Hmm. I would still suggest sweet peas, which according to
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Lathysp.htm
is only toxic if large quatities of the seeds are eaten. Which,
given the growing habit, isn't likely - you'd have to deliberately
collect them.

The more flowers, the better, but anything is good. I'm going to end up

And they have lovely flowers.

training what ever grows there to grow along the balusters of the full
8' ramp as well as on the 5' deck section.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.
Old 15-11-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

John M. Gamble wrote:
In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

The problem with sweet peas is that they only look good in the spring.
When the hot weather comes they stop blooming and (around here) by June
they look really bad (yellow foliage, no flowers).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 17-11-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

grapes. tough. edible. Ingrid
Old 17-11-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

wild grapes. dogs dont really go for them. all our dogs eat grapes with no "toxic"
effects. Ingrid

No grapes around dogs. There have been a number of reports of fatalities
in dogs with relatively small doses of either.

Old 18-11-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

All of the reports are anecdotal. From the last article given below:
"The toxic mechanism remains to be elucidated, and the apparent lack of a
reproducible dose response relationship has led some authors to suggest
this may reflect either a component of the fruits that is present in varying
quantities,or the existence of an extrinsic compound that may not always be present"

Our dogs have always eaten grapes and even raisins and lived to well past their
"natural" life span. In the wild wolves eat grapes. They have not yet found any
toxin in grapes, that is no "mechanism" of toxicity.

I find it interesting that there were NO reports of grape toxicity in dogs until
recently. HOWEVER, we now know about all the toxins in the food on the shelves,
toxins that cause renal and liver failure.

"Could you please tell me what the signs and symptoms of the melamine poisoning are
in dogs?

A: Signs to watch for with a suspected melamine poisoning includes vomiting,
inappetance, lethargy, urinating more frequently, and drinking more water.
The melamine is a renal toxin and can cause acute kidney failure. In dogs who
already have compromised kidneys, the symptoms are more severe. When the kidneys
fail, they are unable to clear the proteins from the blood, causing nausea. Some
dogs will vomit. Most will not be interested in their food. In attempt to flush the
kidneys, the dogs will be more thirsty and urinate more frequently.
If your dog is showing any of these clinical signs, we recommend having your
veterinarian check a renal bloodwork panel and a urinalysis."

THE DIFFERENCE? my dogs eat a raw meaty bone diet bought from a local human food
store. No processed, commercial dog foods, no melamine contamination, no aflatoxins,
no grains, carbs etc that compromise their health.

INgrid

On 17 Nov 2007 10:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:48:41 -0600, wrote:
wild grapes. dogs dont really go for them. all our dogs eat grapes with no "toxic"
effects. Ingrid

No grapes around dogs. There have been a number of reports of fatalities
in dogs with relatively small doses of either.

See Elwood and Whatling, 2006. Grape toxicity in dogs. Vet Rec.
April 8; 158(14):492

Campbell and Bates, 2003. Raisin poisoning in dogs. Vet Rec 2003;
152(12):376

Penny, Henderson & Brown. 2003. Raisin poisoning in a dog. Vet Rec 2003
152(10):376

Singleton. 2001. More information on grape or raisin toxicosis. J Am
Vet Med Assoc. 218(10):1555-6

etc.

Old 18-11-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

wild grapes are excellent, as is Virginia creeper. altho the birds do eat the ripe
fruit, they usually fly away to crap somewhere else. the only time we noticed blue
streaked poops was when we had a mountain ash and when it was ripe a flock of birds
(the ones with teh yellow stripe on the end of the tail feathers) would show up to
eat all the fruit. Ingrid

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:24:20 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand
Wow... Almost makes it seem like dogs can't be around anything.. I'm
still at a loss of something safe to have around them..

Old 15-05-2019, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ha Ha is offline

replying to Bill R, Ha wrote:
Clematis are highly toxic to cats and dogs per other websites....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...nes-72795-.htm

Old 03-05-2020, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to mleblanca, Dawn Neill wrote:
Grapes are toxic to dogs

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...nes-72795-.htm