Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pet Safe Vines?

As some of you had seen I'd been working on a 34x34' dog run off the
back of our house for our hounds.

I'm finished with the fence and am working on a deck section and 8 foot
ramp that will lead from the house to ground level for the dogs.

Anyway, the deck is built with a height of 3', and a final height of 5'
with the railing. The face side I'm going to use lattice which will go
the full 5 foot height.

I'm going to put a vine on it, but need advice on what would do best.

During summer it gets part sun from 11am till dusk. Fall it's mostly
shaded by the house.

I'd need something that is totally pet safe, just in case they decide to
munch on it. I'm not sure which ones are as none of the sites seem to
cover this info.

The more flowers, the better, but anything is good. I'm going to end up
training what ever grows there to grow along the balusters of the full
8' ramp as well as on the 5' deck section.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

As a general rule, any vine (or plant) that has berries on it is NOT
safe around pets. One safe vine that I would consider is Clematis.
There are lots of varieties that will give you a lot of color and some
nice foliage and there is almost no maintenance with them. It takes
them a few years to grow and you need to pick the ones that are right
for your area and situation.

Also, vines like morning glory (annuals) grow quickly and (usually)
reseed themselves every year and they come in lots of colors.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

So Clematis is indeed pet safe then.. Good.. It's one of the ones I was
leaning towards using... Best thing about Clematis is you can easily
train the main branch and prune the crud out of it back to the main
without much problem.

Glad that you brought up Morning Glory, since I was hoping to grow some
on the fence itself as well as some Cypress Vine so those two are good
options for it then.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Ipomotr.htm

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 12, 11:36?am, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
[...]

Grapes... concords smell heavenly.

Old 13-11-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 12, 9:28 am, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Bill R wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

Both Clematis and Morning Glory are toxic to animals and people.
Try this site

www.aspca.org/toxicplants/

Why not grow something you know is edible, such as berries or grapes?
Emilie
NorCal

Old 13-11-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand said:

[...]

Best thing about Clematis is you can easily
train the main branch and prune the crud out of it back to the main
without much problem.

That depends solely on the variety. Some get cut back, at the end of
winter, to 8-12".

Just pointing out that it's not always safe to generalize plants' care only
by the genus.

--

Eggs

-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.
Old 13-11-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Bill R wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link, though it errored on load I did google for aspca
toxic plants and pulled it up.

I see cypress vine is not on the list so puts it on the possibles.

As for growing something I know is edible, good Q.. I really don't have
an answer for that one. Though I'm not sure I'd do grapes.. Will have to
look into berries, so long as the plant doesn't have thorns.

Something else that came up was a Chocolate Vine, which seems to be 100%
edible. Seems that it's considered a pest in KY however.

Purple passion flower seems to also be on the edible list, as well as
Scarlett runner beans.. Anyone have experience on those three?
Old 13-11-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand said:

[...]

Best thing about Clematis is you can easily
train the main branch and prune the crud out of it back to the main
without much problem.

That depends solely on the variety. Some get cut back, at the end of
winter, to 8-12".

Just pointing out that it's not always safe to generalize plants' care only
by the genus.

True, true.. My miss-information there.. I'll re-phrase that to most
can take a heavy pruning..
Old 13-11-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand said:

[...]

Best thing about Clematis is you can easily
train the main branch and prune the crud out of it back to the main
without much problem.

That depends solely on the variety. Some get cut back, at the end of
winter, to 8-12".

Just pointing out that it's not always safe to generalize plants' care only
by the genus.

True, true.. My miss-information there.. I'll re-phrase that to most
can take a heavy pruning..

Just make sure, if you buy one, you get the one you're expecting. That's
what I'm on about.

--
Eggs

-What do you call a fish with no eyes? ... A fsh

Old 13-11-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Q: Akebia - Chocolate Vine? -- P Pet Safe Vines?

wrote:
Bill R wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

Does anyone have any experience with Chocolate Vine (Akebia)? It's at
the top of my list of possible plants for on the dog ramp which will be
safe for them and edible for us.
Old 13-11-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Bill R wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

Thorns would pretty much guarantee the animals won't chew on the vines.

[rest snipped]

--

Eggs

If James Bond was an Amish spy, he would drink buttermilk. Shaken not
churned.
Old 13-11-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote in
:

Purple passion flower seems to also be on the edible list,
as well as Scarlett runner beans.. Anyone have experience
on those three?

i grow scarlet runner beans. they're just an heirloom runner
(vine), so nothing poisonous about them. the beans are good
very small *or* full grown. there's a not so tasty week or so
between the stages where thay're no good as shell beans & too
tough for using like snaps. they also make good dry beans...
however they *are* a very lurid pink & purple spotted combo.
they turn green when cooked fresh, but the dry beans stay
kinda pink/purple.
hummingbirds like the flowers. they need a fairly warm soil
to sprout, but they grow fairly quickly, not very
branchy/bushy, so plant fairly close if you want coverage of
the screen.
purple podded string beans have similar growth habits & nice
purple flowers (scarlet runner flowers are red & white). make
sure you don't get the bush type on those.
either one if you keep the beans picked, they keep growing &
blooming until frost.
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old 14-11-2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

A few starters:

Ornamental gourds; squash; cucumbers
scarlet runner beans
pole beans
asparagus/yardlong bean
rambler roses

keep the beans picked inside the pen -- raw seeds are slightly toxic.

My idiot lab bites the vines off the pen when he's bored, so now he gets
"six shooter" type tall corn outside the pen for shade. My uncle's
labs never bothered gourds, squash or morning glories, but would eat any
cucumber they could reach.

Old 15-11-2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

As for growing something I know is edible, good Q.. I really don't have
an answer for that one. Though I'm not sure I'd do grapes.. Will have to

No grapes around dogs. There have been a number of reports of fatalities
in dogs with relatively small doses of either.

Purple passion flower seems to also be on the edible list, as well as

Which Passiflora species? At least some of them are toxic. (Sorry, I
don't do common names well.)

Hops might be another possibility, but check on that one with veterinary
toxicologists -- I'm unsure of that, but will throw it out as a potential.
And there are some ornamental hops vines that aren't too bad looking.

Kay