Old 26-11-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
No Name

Default liverwort

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of liverwort on open ground?
I've tried Roundup and vineagar (separately) without much effect. The
liverwort is taking over areas which used to be covered with a nice moss.

Thanks,
Albert in SF Bay Area
Old 28-11-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , () wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of liverwort on open ground?
I've tried Roundup and vineagar (separately) without much effect. The
liverwort is taking over areas which used to be covered with a nice moss.

Thanks,
Albert in SF Bay Area

Liverwort likes alkalinity and will grow where other plants fail. It
probably thought the vinegar was fertilizer, & it has no roots so systemic
herbicides are useless, though liverwort is excellent for cleaning the
toxins out of soil where non-organic gardeners have rendered soil
inconducive to healthy plant growth.

A richy humusy-acidic soil such as mosses prefer will often slow it down
so that it fades out over time. It also tends to die out when in shade, so
doesn't compete well with larger plants planted nearby. Moss by comparison
generally does like shade & will have a better chance of re-establishing
with lowered alkalinity & shrubs nearby for shading.

You could try turning the ground over to half bury the liverwort, then put
an inch or two of well-decayed crumbly black compost or steer manure on
the surface. That will acidify the ground and while smothering the
liverwort, then the ground can be turned again & planted with anything,
including cruched-up moss mixed with a bit of buttermilk & spread around
the area you want moss to return.

Sometimes liverwort is attractive, but it tends to get cruddy and spotty
as the soil improves, then vanished almost entirely when the soil is full
repaired. It's often the first plant to return after a forest fire when
the ground is thick with ashes, but as the alkalinity lowers from rainfall
and topsoil is reworked by worms and burrowing animals, bigger plants
displace the liverwort. Liverwort doesn't generally displace moss because
moss wants less sunlight but there are all sorts of reasons for exceptions
to the rule.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 30-11-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
No Name

paghat ) wrote:
: Liverwort likes alkalinity and will grow where other plants fail. It
: probably thought the vinegar was fertilizer, & it has no roots so systemic
Vinegar is acidic so I thought it should work. Maybe it got neutralized too
quickly? I'll try the compost idea.

Thanks,
Albert

Old 27-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of liverwort on open ground?
I've tried Roundup and vineagar (separately) without much effect. The
liverwort is taking over areas which used to be covered with a nice moss.

Thanks,
Albert in SF Bay Area
I found a tip on the web to add a few drops of detergent (washing up liquid) to glyphosate which effectively killed off liverwort in my garden. To stop further infestation I have added sharp sand to improve the soil drainage.

Regards

Mick

[IMG] code is On

liverwort control Eileen United Kingdom 5 10-08-2012 01:36 PM
Liverwort Willi Garden Photos 2 18-03-2012 08:05 PM
1st liverwort Willi Garden Photos 2 10-03-2011 04:24 PM
liverwort invasion Albert Jeans[_2_] Gardening 1 15-01-2011 04:55 PM
liverwort K30a Ponds 4 19-06-2003 07:40 AM