GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Should you deadhead hyacinths? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/167737-should-you-deadhead-hyacinths.html)

[email protected][_2_] 04-12-2007 07:02 PM

Should you deadhead hyacinths?

Last sign of blue was about a week ago. Should I take
the tops off?

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

betsyb 04-12-2007 10:39 PM

wrote in message
Last sign of blue was about a week ago. Should I take
the tops off?

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
http://www.rspearson.com

Hyacinths bloom in the spring. Hybiscus bloom all summer long usually.
Plant or shrub?
Where do you live?
Betsy

Bill R 05-12-2007 12:32 AM

wrote:

Last sign of blue was about a week ago. Should I take
the tops off?

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software
http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
http://www.rspearson.com

Yes, definitely. Leave the foliage alone until it turns brown. That
will help the bulb develop for next year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Kay Lancaster 05-12-2007 10:42 AM

Should you deadhead hyacinths?

the tops off?

Unless you want seeds for some reason, yes, do deadhead now. It'll help the
bulb for next season. If you do want seeds, then don't deadhead, but figure
that bulb will need several years of recovery before blooming well again.