GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Algae beneficial? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/167815-algae-beneficial.html)

Frank 07-12-2007 04:28 AM

Algae beneficial?

Jar holding cuttings in water is starting to develop a
green film, likely fed by the weak plant food solution.

Since algae liberate oxygen, and oxygen stimulates
rooting, which is desired, is the algae in this case
beneficial?

Phisherman[_1_] 07-12-2007 11:00 PM

Algae beneficial?

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:28:07 -0800 (PST), Frank
wrote:

Jar holding cuttings in water is starting to develop a
green film, likely fed by the weak plant food solution.

Since algae liberate oxygen, and oxygen stimulates
rooting, which is desired, is the algae in this case
beneficial?

Not sure. Algae growth can support a host of micro-organisms, both
good and bad. I rinse out my cutting container and remove any
decaying debris weekly. Most roots prefer a dark environment.

Father Haskell 09-12-2007 04:29 AM

Algae beneficial?

wrote:

Jar holding cuttings in water is starting to develop a
green film, likely fed by the weak plant food solution.

Since algae liberate oxygen, and oxygen stimulates
rooting, which is desired, is the algae in this case
beneficial?

Not sure. Algae growth can support a host of micro-organisms, both
good and bad.

So can soil. Usually, they balance each other out with
no special attention paid by the grower. Plants thrive.
Noses are reliable indicators of when imbalance does
occur.

I rinse out my cutting container and remove any
decaying debris weekly. Most roots prefer a dark environment.

I haven't found light to be all that detrimental so long as it's
not intense. Less work just to stick the cuttings into mason
jars and wait, maybe changing the water every couple of days.
It might be setting me back five days over a 25 day period,
but so far, everything's rooting, though at its own pace.