Old 20-04-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Reel Mowers, opinions wanted about 15" battery Gardena vs 20" manual Scotts

I've read quite a few posts about reel type mowers and I'd like to buy
one.

I did a google search which found many interesting discussions about
the merits of electric vs gas vs manual reel mowers.

I've narrowed the choice down to two reel mowers available locally.

They a

Scotts Classic 20" wide manual, up to 3" inch cutting height
http://www.cleanairmowing.com/cleana...tclasreel.html

Gardena 15" wide rechargeable, up to 1 3/4" cutting height
http://www.gardena.com/INT/applicati...jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=04040-20_DEen&wlcs_catalog_category_id=PK40501_DEen

The Gardena is just over twice the price of the Scotts, but the actual
price difference is about $100.

My questions a

1) The Gardena's electric motor means that you personally don't have
to manually supply the energy needed to spin the cutting blades. Does
that make a noticeable/significant difference in the work needed to
push the mower?

2) The Scotts Classic is five inches wider than the Gardena. Which
factor saves more time mowing the lawn, the extra width of the Scotts
or the electric motor of the Gardena?

3) Is the extra cutting height of the Scotts, 3" vs the Gardena's 1
3/4", a decisive factor?

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:48:38 +0000, lawn_newbi wrote:
sniped

My questions a

1) The Gardena's electric motor means that you personally don't have to
manually supply the energy needed to spin the cutting blades. Does that
make a noticeable/significant difference in the work needed to push the
mower?

2) The Scotts Classic is five inches wider than the Gardena. Which factor
saves more time mowing the lawn, the extra width of the Scotts or the
electric motor of the Gardena?

3) Is the extra cutting height of the Scotts, 3" vs the Gardena's 1 3/4",
a decisive factor?

I discovered something about scotts mowers that I think you might want to
know....
Scotts does NOT manufacture lawn mowers. Yes I know that's the name on the
machine, but from what I can gather they lease out the product name. I
found this out the hard way yesterday. I own a scotts that I bought from
the home depo a year ago. The front drive wheel broke and I went to by
another one. After searching my whole county for this stupid wheel and
after calling scotts to find the scotts dealer near me, the scotts dealer
told me my scotts mower is really a Murry!!! Worse than that, it was 4
years old when I bought it new? Home depo must of warehoused a bunch of
them. The local scotts dealer told me that he could only service the
scotts made by john deere and that he is unable to order my wheel.
So I guess my point is this.... You can't trust the scotts name on
the machine. Nor will I trust any of the 'box stores' for any of my
equiptment. I suggest that you get the model number off of the scotts and
call a scotts dealer to see who really made it before you decide.
As far as gardena's go... I have 2 customers who own the non-electric
reels who are completly happy with them. I personally believe that you
should try to purchase the best you can affort and in this case my opinion
is Gardena....
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 PM

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:48:38 +0000, lawn_newbi wrote:
sniped

My questions a

1) The Gardena's electric motor means that you personally don't have to
manually supply the energy needed to spin the cutting blades. Does that
make a noticeable/significant difference in the work needed to push the
mower?

2) The Scotts Classic is five inches wider than the Gardena. Which factor
saves more time mowing the lawn, the extra width of the Scotts or the
electric motor of the Gardena?

3) Is the extra cutting height of the Scotts, 3" vs the Gardena's 1 3/4",
a decisive factor?

I discovered something about scotts mowers that I think you might want to
know....
Scotts does NOT manufacture lawn mowers.

You're right. I didn't say so in my original post, but the Scotts
mower in the link that I included actually is sold here under a
private label called "Yard Works". I noticed that the Yard Works mower
was 20" wide and had the second set of wheels at the back, exactly the
same as the Scotts. I only included the link to the Scotts hoping that
US readers would be more familiar with the brand name.

I don't know for sure, but I several people have mentioned that the
manufacturer of the Scotts and almost every reel mower in the US is
actually American Lawn Mower Co., found he

http://www.reelin.com/amprod.htm

As far as gardena's go... I have 2 customers who own the non-electric
reels who are completly happy with them. I personally believe that you
should try to purchase the best you can affort and in this case my opinion
is Gardena....

Thanks. I have a few Gardena tools and found them to be entirely
satisfactory. The difference in price between the manual Gardena and
the electric motor model is less than $50 but I'm not sure if the $50
would be well spent or is just throwing money away buying trouble and
spending extra time.

Old 21-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Kim

In article ,
says...

[...]

I have a friend who is dying to get a powerd reel lawn mower and he has had
absolutely NO luck at all in finding one. He is in Harrisburg, PA.

Where can someone get a Gardena mower in the US?

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis

Old 29-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Someone

Interesting. I'm looking at reel mowers too. Did you come across the People
Powered Machines site? There's a comparison chart that makes me think the
Brill Luxus is the best on the market. It's about half as heavy as the
Scotts, almost twice as wide and only needs sharpening once every 8 years.
Does anyone have experience with this machine? Is this too good to be true?

http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/mower_compare.htm

Old 21-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered User

I realize that this thread is a bit (and by that I mean a lot) outdated, but seeing as I stumbled across it through a google search, I thought I would provide an update to anyone else in my situation.

The Gardena electric reel mowers now offer a model with a Lithium battery. Not only does this make charging easier (harder to overcharge) but it also supplies more energy and consistent energy until the very end (unlike other batteries which slowly die out meaning you get a degradation in performance).

You can check out more on the Gardena here if interested: Gardena electric reel mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
Oops. It's not twice as wide. The Brill Luxus is 38 CM vs Scott's 20 in.

"Someone" wrote in message news:...
Interesting. I'm looking at reel mowers too. Did you come across the

People
Powered Machines site? There's a comparison chart that makes me think the
Brill Luxus is the best on the market. It's about half as heavy as the
Scotts, almost twice as wide and only needs sharpening once every 8 years.
Does anyone have experience with this machine? Is this too good to be

true?

Compare Push Reel Mowers: side by side charts: from People Powered Machines

wrote in message
I've read quite a few posts about reel type mowers and I'd like to buy
one.

I did a google search which found many interesting discussions about
the merits of electric vs gas vs manual reel mowers.

I've narrowed the choice down to two reel mowers available locally.

They a

Scotts Classic 20" wide manual, up to 3" inch cutting height
Scotts Classic reel mower