GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse started corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1701-greenhouse-started-corn.html)

Ian 20-02-2003 10:41 PM

Greenhouse started corn

Can someone tell me why corn plants don't cob when they are started
three or so weeks eary in a greenhouse?
Thanks

Ian

22-02-2003 06:03 PM

Greenhouse started corn

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
Can someone tell me why corn plants don't cob when they are started
three or so weeks eary in a greenhouse?
Thanks

Ian

I have started sweet corn in my greenhouse for about nine years now. I
always have a great crop. I raise it in my float bed. 2 seeds to a cell. I
plant it the first week in April and transplant it outside around Mother's
Day. It is usually about 6 or 8 inches high. I always have silver queen
about two weeks before it comes on the market.(about the second week of
July) I plant the rest of the garden at that time with regular seed. When
the transplanted corn is gone - the other is ready. I live in southern Ohio
and it does great.
Susie

jcart003 24-02-2003 10:03 PM

Greenhouse started corn

(Ian) wrote in message . com...
Can someone tell me why corn plants don't cob when they are started
three or so weeks eary in a greenhouse?
Thanks

Ian

Hmmm I think that there is something about stress at 3-4 weeks of age
and it its effects on final ear size, so perhaps the transplanting was
to stressful. Were the roots disturbed? you may also have the corn
matureing to early, "yield" or productivity is very complicated heat,
sun, hours of daylight, variety and alot of other things come into
play. Why are you trying to transplant corn? For an early yield
consider short season varieties, warm the soil (in the garden) with a
few weeks of clear plastic cover and then soak the seeds over night
before planting. Plant through the plastic, just poke holes. once the
plants are 8-12 inches high remove the plastic, or mulch over it,
otherwise it will get to hot in the soil....