GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No fig tree for me (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/170110-no-fig-tree-me.html)

John Bachman 03-01-2008 11:34 AM

No fig tree for me

After several mild winters in a row (Southern NH, zone 5) and the
prospect of global warming modifying my microclimate which is well
protected from the cold north winds I had thoughts of planting a fig
tree in my orchard.

It is now 2 F with prospects of negative numbers tomorrow night. If I
had one it would be croaked.

Sigh.

Cheryl Isaak 03-01-2008 12:22 PM

No fig tree for me

On 1/3/08 6:34 AM, in article ,
"John Bachman" wrote:

After several mild winters in a row (Southern NH, zone 5) and the
prospect of global warming modifying my microclimate which is well
protected from the cold north winds I had thoughts of planting a fig
tree in my orchard.

It is now 2 F with prospects of negative numbers tomorrow night. If I
had one it would be croaked.

Sigh.

Hey John,

Sure is cold out here isn't it. Haven't you ever heard the saying about NH
weather - wait a minute and it will change?

Seriously, one nursery used to keep a cold room (about 45F) for large items
that needed a rest but couldn't take the cold of NH. Or you could opt for
cellar storage... You just need a huge pot and some wheels.

David E. Ross 03-01-2008 04:44 PM

No fig tree for me

On 1/3/2008 3:34 AM, John Bachman wrote:
After several mild winters in a row (Southern NH, zone 5) and the
prospect of global warming modifying my microclimate which is well
protected from the cold north winds I had thoughts of planting a fig
tree in my orchard.

It is now 2 F with prospects of negative numbers tomorrow night. If I
had one it would be croaked.

Sigh.

I actually had a volunteer fig come up in my backyard. After caring for
it, pruning it, feeding it, etc, it never bore fruit. I had it removed
and then fought root suckers for about two years.

My neighbor across the street planted a fig. He invited me to enter his
yard and pick the ripe fruit whenever I want, without even ringing his
doorbell. There is nothing like a fresh fig.

Why don't you plant something that I can't grow, something totally
unsuited to my climate: lilacs, most tulips, pears, maples, peonies?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Cheryl Isaak 03-01-2008 05:31 PM

No fig tree for me

On 1/3/08 11:44 AM, in article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

'cause some folks like a challenge. Mind you, the last thing I want in the
garden is a challenge, a tender or a not quite hardy enough!

[email protected] 08-01-2008 11:27 PM

No fig tree for me

I got 9 fig trees in 24 or 26 inch plastic buckets found in hardware stores. they
produce fine. they need to be topped up with fert in spring and watered every day.
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/figs/figgrove.htm

[email protected] 08-01-2008 11:29 PM

No fig tree for me

forgot to say, we move them into a heated garage. not very heated cause if the temp
gets up over 55oF or so they leaf out. they need cold for dormancy. INgrid

[email protected] 08-01-2008 11:30 PM

No fig tree for me

exactly... unless 20 fresh figs!!!