Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on Tobacco Tea

I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim
Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

Question: What bug problems are you trying to deal with? In other words, I
assume you have sat in the garden with bug identification books, and
specifically identified all the different bugs you see. Please tell me which
"bad" bugs you're trying to get rid of.

I'm asking because it never makes sense to create extra work for yourself if
there's no reason to do so. And, the tea you're thinking of making could
also kill beneficial insects.

I will eagerly await your complete list of bugs you've identified.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener series... It
was presented as something you just do as regular maintenance; as a
Best Practice in landscape care. His premise appears to be that
stopping diseases and insect problems before they start by using safe
non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"McGerm" wrote in message
The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener series... It
was presented as something you just do as regular maintenance; as a
Best Practice in landscape care. His premise appears to be that
stopping diseases and insect problems before they start by using safe
non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

I don't care who presented it. Did he say the tobacco tea would only kill
the problem bugs? Do you realize that you need bugs to pollinate some of
your vegetables?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

Sounds like you got hold of some Jerry Baker schlock. Our PBS stations
stopped carrying his programs years ago as well as his Sunday radio
programs. More than a few organic gardening groups suggested he be strung up
by the thumbs. The NW Flower and Garden show hasn't had him for a speaker in
years because of the flack they got from "real" garden educators and the
Master Gardeners Association about his misinformation and use of the
unearned title "Master Gardener". I was riveted in the doorway (early 90s as
I recall) when passing by one his seminars (everyone loves a good train
wreck) when a gentleman stood and introduced himself as a professor and head
of the U of W Horticultural Dept and went into a "what the hell are you
thinking" demanding for a basis of his unfounded and potentially harmful
formulas. Ol' Jerry was red in the face and sputtering when he just walked
off the stage without replying......so ended a very short seminar. Never saw
him again on the roster of speakers.

Here's an article you might find interesting. Rather enlightening about his
qualifications and expertise.
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Whats/jbaker.htm

Val

Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote in message

"McGerm" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting! Thanks.

To the OP: Go to www.powells.com and find a used copy of "Crockett's
Victory Garden", by James Underwood Crockett. Do everything he does.....

***********EXCEPT**********

......that you should ignore all his advice about the endless use of sprays &
powders. He went way overboard. Maybe that's what killed him. Ignore all of
it until you've managed to locate your public library and brought home some
books (made of paper).

Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

McGerm wrote in

oups.com:

The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener
series... It was presented as something you just do as
regular maintenance; as a Best Practice in landscape care.
His premise appears to be that stopping diseases and insect
problems before they start by using safe non-toxic
preventative care, is better than reactively treating once
a problem appears.

Jerry Baker is a garden quack. if you really like your yard &
garden, please do not follow his silly formulas & poor advice.
lee
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"McGerm" wrote in message

non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

If it were prudent to be treating *everything* bad before it appears
wouldn't that liken to everyone with a stray dog, skunk, squirrel wandering
within 5 miles go in for 10 days of Rabies treatment just because? And what
is "non-toxic" about tobacco and antiseptic mouth wash? What you spray up
will drip down, never mind that you are killing everything good, bad or
otherwise for no rational reason....what do you think this stuff will do to
earthworms when it leaches into the soil?

Val

Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote in message

"McGerm" wrote in message

non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

If it were prudent to be treating *everything* bad before it appears
wouldn't that liken to everyone with a stray dog, skunk, squirrel
wandering within 5 miles go in for 10 days of Rabies treatment just
because? And what is "non-toxic" about tobacco and antiseptic mouth wash?
What you spray up will drip down, never mind that you are killing
everything good, bad or otherwise for no rational reason....what do you
think this stuff will do to earthworms when it leaches into the soil?

Val

Observation: In biology class, 1970, we saw a movie in which a drop of pure
nicotine was placed on the pink inside of a rabbit's ear. It died quickly.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from McGerm contains these words:

I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus?

Well I know that commercial tomato growers here, don't permit
employees smoking in the glasshouses for that reason.
BTW, nicotine insecticides were banned here (UK ) years ago, because
they are a health hazard to people by skin contact. (and, to all
insects, including beneficial).

UNless you have an uncontrollable outbreak of pests, there's no
point applying "clean up" stuff.. Far better, to feed the soil (home
made compost, humus, mulches), so plants grow strong and healthy.

Encourage natural predators ( frogs birds and insects etc ) in the
garden and they will do all the necessary pest control.

Janet

Yeah...you talk about these natural predators like they're all sweet little
creatures, but this ******* attacked me back in September. Went right for my
throat, but I frightened it off with a blade of grass.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er/Toad_01.jpg

Old 08-01-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/7/08 4:27 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

That's Julius. He's also the local union manager. Mr. Tough Guy. He thinks
he's Tony Soprano.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

Tobacco extract is very poisonous. It will kill a great many insects and
other small organisms and you and your pets if you get enough into you.
Smokers survive (in the short term anyway) because most of the nicotine and
related chemicals are destroyed when the tobacco burns. Eat a few cigarettes
and go to hospital.

Plus antiseptic mouth wash! Just in case some microorganisms survive the
nicotine.

Your garden relies upon small living organisms don't sterilize it with such a
brew.

David

Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 7, 10:17 am, enigma wrote:
McGerm wrote
oups.com:

The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener
series... It was presented as something you just do as
regular maintenance; as a Best Practice in landscape care.
His premise appears to be that stopping diseases and insect
problems before they start by using safe non-toxic
preventative care, is better than reactively treating once
a problem appears.

Jerry Baker is a garden quack. if you really like your yard &
garden, please do not follow his silly formulas & poor advice.
lee

A big round of applause for wreck gardens! Do we have the best
advice givers here or what? All of you/us are great.
I think poor ol Jerry will never fade away, and we are doomed to
be hearing his mal-advised-advice for years...............

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal
Old 08-01-2008, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"mleblanca" wrote in message

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal

Yer not s'posed to destroy books because you disagree about or not approve
of what's in them. Can you say "First Amendment"? You might as well also
forget about trying to legislate stupidity. Usenet would be among the first
to vanish.

Val