Old 20-01-2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Care tips for your orchid

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Don Staples" wrote in message
"symplastless" wrote in message

"symplastless" wrote in message

I forgot one for Don Staples whuile I am at it.. Wood, e.g., cellulose,
is bad for a forest so logging must be done in the name of forest
health. How much more absurd can you possibly be?

Uh, could you possibly try and explain what your talking about? Where as
logging has something to do with cellulose (i.e., that's what is
harvested) where did I, or any one else, ever say cellulose (what a
forest is) is bad for a forest? You really need to take your meds.

many projects on the Allegheny National Forest are planned under the false
premise that logging helps increase the health of a forest.

It probably would not take long to review your website and find the
latter.

Your site here for starters, give me a chance and I will find more
examples.
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

please explain what biological benefit logging has for forest health?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Beware of so-called tree experts/consulting arborists/tree biologists
who do not understand tree biology, because they never studied biology.

Clip from http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm
"Nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At
that time you may have to salvage whats left."

Don, you do not understand or know how to work with nature. You work
against nature. Why would there be a requirement to "salvage" cellulose, or
shall I lucidly say, "ROB" the forest, of much required cellulose? And you
say you are a forester. Maybe I am a forester.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 20-01-2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Don

The section on your website is conviently bad!
What is a Consulting Forester at
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/forestry/staples.htm

I would really like to understand just what a What is a Consulting Forester
is to you.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 20-01-2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

On 18-Jan-2008, "symplastless" wrote:

There are at least a hundred more.

please list them all for us but this time, for clarity, don't use any
spaces
or punctuation.

thank you.

Here is my first 21. I am working on it. Please have a little patience.
Myths and half truths

Meristematic points are dormant buds
Trees heal wounds
Trees have root flares at the base of the trunk
Trees are a natural renewable resource, keep cutting them and they will come
back the way they were
Peach trees respond like apple trees internally when pruned.
Soil is dirt.
All tree species have heartwood.
The cambial zone is a single layer of cells.
Wood, cellulose mostly, is harmful if left in a once fertile forest.
Wood is dead, wood is dead, wood is dead!
Thinning out, removing the inner crowns of a tree, makes a tree more wind
resistant.
Fertilizer is food.
Elements are nutrients.
Trees absorb nutrients
All fungi is bad.
Salvaging wood, cellulose mostly, is restoration.
Nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that
time you may have to salvage whats left
In forestry, "Usually the sales material is damaged dead, or dying." So
logging is required.
Wood in a forest - "best to move the material, get it out of the way for
future work."
Restoration in a forest, can mean a lot of work, depending on what caused
the initial damage. How about logging injury?
A chain saw is not a scientific tool.

Old 20-01-2008, 03:20 PM
BrownFingers's Avatar
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by symplastless View Post
On 2008-01-15 21:03:45 -0500, "symplastless"

said:

Please click the link to read article about Light, Humidity, Feeding
and Tempature :
http://www.worldofflower.net/worldofflower.net/Care
tips for your orchid.htm

I know very little about orchids. What kind of food do you feed a
orchid?
Do they store their food? In what form and where? I thought they were
autotrophs. Shows how much I know.
BTW the ghost flower is a heterotroph.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...st_flower.html

You can use regular miracle or any 10-10-10 food. No "special" ferti;izer
is needed.

Oh, so you really are not feeding the plant. Just applying N-P-K. BTW
there are 14 other essential elements. Some more important than others in
different amounts for different plants. 14 From the soil.
They are C; H; N; O; P; K; S; Mg; Ni; Fe; Ca; Zn; Mo; Mn; B; Cl; Cu
I guess that the orchid must be an autotroph. Autotrophs manufacture their
own food and we do not feed them. That is the case for most plants. I say
most because of exceptions like Ghost Flowers. They have no chlorophyll to
trap sunlight energy and manufacture food. They are more like a
heterotroph. Humans are heterotrophs. The chemical companies trick you to
believing their product is food.
Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.
Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed or taken in by plants. They are not absorbing in the sense of a
Bounty paper towel.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I eat chips and Battered Fish in the yard cause i live above a chippy so the yard is a messy hole. one of you might want a little project to come and sort the damn thing out if you want?

many thanks
(its a bloody mess)
Old 20-01-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are you
kidding me?

When I find the statement about stinkweeds I will let you know. So I looked
up epiphyte.

So the Ganoderma tsugae is and epiphyte. But mycorrhizae, which is made up
of tree root and fungus tissues is actually part of the plant. It's a
composite organ. It does facilitate the taking in of phosphates. A lichen
would be a epiphyte.

See I do not have all the answers.

Here is a story on mycorrhizae.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...go/WINTER.html

Old 20-01-2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
BrownFingers wrote:

...-
On 2008-01-15 21:03:45 -0500, "symplastless"

said:
-
-
http://tinyurl.com/2z26da

http://tinyurl.com/yo38zt-

[...]

Wot? Greasy newsprint? Either mulch it and prepare to plant in May or
stick a match to it (once it dries it some, say in July or August) and
keep a garden hose handy (at hand). You do have garden hoses don't you?
So many Europeans (May I call you an European? I mean you all did come
over from the Continent after migrating from Africa.) rely completely on
the vagaries of the weather for their watering needs. I mean, what the
bloody hell is a garden hose manufacturer supposed to do anyway?

Well, tootleloo and do give my regards to Attila-the-Hen;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...490698,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 21-01-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:16:57 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are you
kidding me?

Sorry, mcorrhizae is autonomous of the tree. It exists without trees.
Trees are not the only plant which depends on mychorrizae. I can buy
mychorrizae innoculant online.

You cannot innoculate with an organ.

It is not attached to any tree I know
of. Fungal mats exist without the presence of trees. C'mon, you have
got to be kidding me. You actually think mychorrizae is made up of
tree root AND fungus? It's not.

Maybe you better define what mycorrhizae is in your words. It is a Greek
word meaning -
mycor - fungus rhiza - root. It is an composite structure made up of plant
roots (most trees) and fungi. Is it fungi or root? YES!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...corrhizae.html

Old 21-01-2008, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are
you
kidding me?

Sorry, mcorrhizae is autonomous of the tree. It exists without
trees. Trees are not the only plant which depends on mychorrizae.
can buy mychorrizae innoculant online.

You cannot innoculate with an organ.

No, you incoculate with the fungus that produces the organ. Why are
you being so picky about this?

It is not attached to any tree I know
of. Fungal mats exist without the presence of trees. C'mon, you
have got to be kidding me. You actually think mychorrizae is made
up of tree root AND fungus? It's not.

Maybe you better define what mycorrhizae is in your words. It is a
Greek word meaning -
mycor - fungus rhiza - root. It is an composite structure made up
of plant roots (most trees) and fungi. Is it fungi or root? YES!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...corrhizae.html

Why don't you try reading that yourself, but this time read the whole
thing and not just the first sentence. It explains how such
inoculants work.

If you object to the nomenclature commonly used, "Mycorrhizal
Inoculant", then would you be so kind as to first suggest an equally
succinct alternative and then take the matter up with the producers of
such products or the government or someone else who has the power to
change that nomenclature instead of continuing to harangue a bunch of
people who don't have any control over it?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 21-01-2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Don Staples" wrote in message
"symplastless" wrote in message

"Don Staples" wrote in message
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Don Staples" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:53:55 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

I am more incline to listen to people who do not claim that
fertilizer,
elements alone, are food for autotrophs!

I am not familiar with the term autotrophs, but I do know orchids
(with the exception of some) are epiphytes and take nutrients from
air
and water which collects between the roots or hold tights and the
bark
of the tree the plant has adhered to.

I fertilize plants indoors using simple liquid seaweed and so far,
so
good. I've had the same house plants for over a decade and made
many
plants from their offshoots.

I also ran very large greenhouse operations and was a grower. But
what do I know. Rhetorical of course.

One heck of a lot more than a so called tree biologist.

Remind me Don. What was your last post that addressed a plant problem?
It seems your whole "raison d'etre" for being in gardening groups is
attack John. It would be a great improvement if you could just throw
in
a few tid-bits that are on topic. Consider starting a new NG called
rec.kill.john.kill, then you could rant to your hearts content and
still
be on topic.
--

Bug off, billy, when a tree question comes up, I will, till then
fighting deadwood is a reason to be here. Kind of like asking a back

here is 2 tree questions.
You say "fighting deadwood" Very loose terms and not lucid. I never
heard of such a thing.
Please explain what you are saying.

Define "dead" =
Define "wood" =
See, wood is not static so it may be hard to define like humic acids.
Its constantly going through ecological stages.

Look up symplastless in your so called dictionary.

Never trust a so called consulting arboist/tree biologist that has never
studied biology.

DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD I SAY!!!!!!! Believe because you see it for
yourself.

A requirement to study and understand tree biology does include tree
biology.

Are we supposed to trust Don Staples?

What? Trust some one who has actually studied what they make their living
at, unlike some lawn care, one pickup, hand written sign like Keslick?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 21-01-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Don Staples" wrote in message
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

Myself, I am studying Advanced Tree Biology. In Advanced Tree Biology
we reframe from loose, sloppy terms. Why, for a better understanding
how the system works. If I see a fellow is so far off tract to call
fertilizer plant food, I have enough care, concern, time and passion to
help that person better understand plants. Again, some people fight to
be stupid and spread it to others. Mostly product pushers are to blame
for the continued confussion.

Out of curiosity, where are you studying Advanced Tree Biology?

It is an educational course on DVD. Not available to the public yet. I
anticipate it will be soon. I study where ever I get the chance.

I didn't know Disney had put one out.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Nut Case

Old 21-01-2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are
you
kidding me?

Sorry, mcorrhizae is autonomous of the tree. It exists without
trees. Trees are not the only plant which depends on mychorrizae.
I can buy mychorrizae innoculant online.

You cannot innoculate with an organ.

It is not attached to any tree I know
of. Fungal mats exist without the presence of trees. C'mon, you
have got to be kidding me. You actually think mychorrizae is made
up of tree root AND fungus? It's not.

Maybe you better define what mycorrhizae is in your words. It is a
Greek word meaning -
mycor - fungus rhiza - root. It is an composite structure made up
of plant roots (most trees) and fungi. Is it fungi or root? YES!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...corrhizae.html

While it is symbiotic, it is NOT NOT NOT a tree root. Not today,
not
tomorrow, not yesterday NOT. Fungi are in a class of their own, not
plant, not animal. Mycorrhizae does not, repeat, does not depend on
tree to exist. It is not part of the tree. It is not part of the
root. There are many types of this fungi, I am familiar with and
have
used and will use VAM Mycorrhizae. Not all plants need this or
benefit by this type of fungi. Certainly conifers and many trees,
roses, blueberries and a list of other plants which notoriously have
weak root systems.

The fungi themselves, growing alone, are not called "mycorrhizae".
VAM mycorrhizae are produced by any of about 200 fungi belonging to
the genus Glomeromycota when they grown on or in or in sufficiently
close proximity to tree roots. A phylogenetic tree for that genus can
be found at http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~schuessler/amphylo/. Note
that none of the species is called "mycorrhizae".

If there's no fungus then there are no mycorrhizae. If there is no
tree there are no mycorrhize. It's when you have _both_ that
mycorrizae occur.

And do yourself and everyone else a favor; when directing people to
the scientific evidence, try to refrain from using your own website
base your debate on. It's a bit nonsensicle.

Old 21-01-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are
you
kidding me?

Sorry, mcorrhizae is autonomous of the tree. It exists without
trees. Trees are not the only plant which depends on mychorrizae.
can buy mychorrizae innoculant online.

You cannot innoculate with an organ.

No, you incoculate with the fungus that produces the organ. Why are
you being so picky about this?

Just being truthful.

[...]

oh, so you are saying that trees do or do not have mycorrhizae? That was
the argument.

Old 21-01-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:05:10 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:16:57 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It is a root fungus. A composit organ, its an organ, made up of fungus
tissue and root tissue. Is it fungus or root? YES!

Not today, not
tomorrow, not yesterday NOT. Fungi are in a class of their own, not
plant, not animal. Mycorrhizae does not, repeat, does not depend on a
tree to exist. It is not part of the tree. It is not part of the
root.

So you are saying that you never dug mycorrhizae. Start looking. They are
there. If you want root hairs go to a hew bush. If you want
ectomycorrhizae go to a beech. You have to dig roots and you have to look.
Or you will never see.

There are many types of this fungi, I am familiar with and have
used and will use VAM Mycorrhizae. Not all plants need this or
benefit by this type of fungi. Certainly conifers and many trees,
roses, blueberries and a list of other plants which notoriously have
weak root systems.

And do yourself and everyone else a favor; when directing people to
the scientific evidence, try to refrain from using your own website to
base your debate on. It's a bit nonsensicle.

Until you dig mycorrhizae you should really reframe from such claims.
Scientific research. get a shovel and go look!!!! They are there!!!!!

Old 21-01-2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
[...]

It was? I saw nobody questioning the existence of them, only arguing
over how many mycorrhizae can dance on the head of a pin.