Old 16-01-2008, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stole some fertiliser yesterday

I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed. I
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser. "Thanks"
was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of fertiliser. Mind you,
he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He didn't realise I was walking
away with the nutrients from his garden.

rob

Old 16-01-2008, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

George.com wrote:
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed.
I took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser.
"Thanks" was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of
fertiliser. Mind you, he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He
didn't realise I was walking away with the nutrients from his garden.

rob

Are you boasting or confessing?
Old 17-01-2008, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

"helco" wrote in message
. ..
George.com wrote:
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed. I
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser.
"Thanks" was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of
fertiliser. Mind you, he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He
didn't realise I was walking away with the nutrients from his garden.

rob

Are you boasting or confessing?

ironising, if there is such a word. My mate wouldn't want me taking a bag of
fertiliser which he will spread on his garden but is happy to dispose of a
sack of leaves that are the yield from the fertiliser he spread. Admittedly
the leaves don't hold many nutrients however he wouldn't chuck out a load of
lawn fertiliser but would throw away lawn clippings. Taking peoples leaves
or lawn clippings is nutrient theft by stealth.

rob

Old 18-01-2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed. I
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser. "Thanks"
was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of fertiliser. Mind you,
he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He didn't realise I was
walking away with the nutrients from his garden.

rob

Did you realize that you were not walking away with nutrients? You were
walking away with fertilizer.

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.
Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed or taken in by plants. They are not absorbing in the sense of a
Bounty paper towel.

Most plants cannot absorb a nutrient as defined in the latter.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 18-01-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message

"helco" wrote in message
. ..
George.com wrote:
[...]

Oh, really, leaves can contain a nutrient but it cannot be asorbed by the
plants. It would be used by soil micros.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 18-01-2008, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

John, please stop embarrassing those dwindling few of us who respect
your work. You don't need to jump in every time a word isn't used to
your satisfaction. I call the local blue colored jay a bluejay. It isn't
but everybody here knows what I'm talking about, however when I use it
on the net, the Audubon groupies throw the book at me. It is a western
scrub jay, which in the future I will refer to as a blue jay, not to be
confused with a bluejay. You, however, seem to have ventured out onto
thinner ice with your own definitions.

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

Did you realize that you were not walking away with nutrients? You were
walking away with fertilizer.

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.

My desktop dictionary defines

(1) nutrient as a substance that provides nourishment essential for
growth and the maintenance of life : fish is a source of many important
nutrients, including protein, vitamins, and minerals.

ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin nutrient- Śnourishing,ą from the verb
nutrire,

and

(2) fertilizer a chemical or natural substance added to soil or land to
increase its fertility.

Furthermore, from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertilizer

Compounds given to plants to promote growth; they are usually applied
either through the soil, for uptake by plant roots, or by foliar
feeding, for uptake through leaves. Fertilizers can be organic (composed
of organic matter), or inorganic (made of simple, inorganic chemicals or
minerals). They can be naturally occurring compounds such as peat or
mineral deposits, or manufactured through natural processes (such as
composting) or chemical processes (such as the Haber process).

Fertilizers typically ( not always) provide, in varying proportions,
the three major plant nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium),
the secondary plant nutrients (calcium, sulfur, magnesium), and
sometimes trace elements (or micronutrients) with a role in plant
nutrition: boron, chlorine, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, and
molybdenum.

(1) A nutrient nurtures and

(2) a fertilizer makes fertile.

Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed or taken in by plants. They are not absorbing in the sense of a
Bounty paper towel.

Most plants cannot absorb a nutrient as defined in the latter.

So the point is John, that we knew what George.com was talking about and
it didn't need clarification and your post potentially obscured the
understanding of what nutrient and fertilizer mean. Next time: google it.

Good product placement though. I hope you get paid;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...490698,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 21-01-2008, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed. I
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser. "Thanks"
was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of fertiliser. Mind

you,
he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He didn't realise I was

walking
away with the nutrients from his garden.

Heh - of course it will take a bit of processing in the old compost
pile to be usable! :-)

Ted

Old 21-01-2008, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:

"George.com" wrote in message
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed. I
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser. "Thanks"
was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of fertiliser. Mind

you,
he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He didn't realise I was

walking
away with the nutrients from his garden.

Heh - of course it will take a bit of processing in the old compost
pile to be usable! :-)

Ted

Nah, you can still mulch with it and the worms will still thank you.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 21-01-2008, 08:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stole some (Nutrients) fertiliser yesterday

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:

"George.com" wrote in message
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed.
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser.
"Thanks"
was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of fertiliser. Mind

you,
he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He didn't realise I was

walking
away with the nutrients from his garden.

Heh - of course it will take a bit of processing in the old compost
pile to be usable! :-)

Ted

Nah, you can still mulch with it and the worms will still thank you.

its all free and its all good stuff. Free is good.

rob