Old 21-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Lil

Default fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds?

Hi all!

I don't know too much about lawns so forgive my ignorance...

We got the lawn with the house and not knowing any better, we
proceeded to water our lawn everyday for 7 min. a day. This went on
for several months and the lawn has gotten progressively browner and
browner. When I asked, it seems that that was the wrong way of
watering the lawn. So now, we've been watering the lawn 3 times a
week for 15 min. each time real early in the morning (it gets warm in
the afternoons) to maximize water absorption. (I'm still not sure if
I'm watering the lawn properly because I noticed that about 3 hours
after watering the grass was dry and the dirt beneath the grass was
only moist. Shouldn't the grass be soggier even after 3 hours? It
may be that most of the water the sprinkler system is delivering is
not being absorbed--we have clay soil--and is stimply running off the
sidewalk.)

The lawn is now mostly brown and the only green appears to consist of
coarse grass (crabgrass?) that puts forth tall spikes with something
that resembles wild oats at the ends. These grasses are very coarse
and poky, and are really tough to yank out...

So the questions are, can we resuscitate whatever bit of lawn we have
and can we get rid of the coarse grass that's taking over the lawn?

I'm not keen on resodding because of the expense and because there's
no guarantee we won't kill the next lawn...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lil

Old 21-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

(Lil) wrote:

We got the lawn with the house and not knowing any better, we
proceeded to water our lawn everyday for 7 min. a day. This went on
for several months and the lawn has gotten progressively browner and
browner. When I asked, it seems that that was the wrong way of
watering the lawn.

Yup. Frequent shallow watering can kill almost anything.

So now, we've been watering the lawn 3 times a
week for 15 min. each time real early in the morning (it gets warm in
the afternoons) to maximize water absorption. (I'm still not sure if
I'm watering the lawn properly because I noticed that about 3 hours
after watering the grass was dry and the dirt beneath the grass was
only moist. Shouldn't the grass be soggier even after 3 hours?

No - the water on the LEAVES does it no good. The water in the
SOIL helps things grow.

It
may be that most of the water the sprinkler system is delivering is
not being absorbed--we have clay soil--and is stimply running off the
sidewalk.)

Have you looked? Inspecting the sprinklers is the only way to
find out what they are doing.

So the questions are, can we resuscitate whatever bit of lawn we have
and can we get rid of the coarse grass that's taking over the lawn?

I'm not keen on resodding because of the expense and because there's
no guarantee we won't kill the next lawn...

You can probably overseed ... where do you live?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 21-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:16:34 -0700, Lil wrote:

[...]

Good day Lil. Watering 3x a week for 15 mins is still too shallow of a
watering schedule in my opinion. Once a week for 30 to 45 mins would be
better. It will encourage the root system to travel deeper into the soil
and you'll have a more drought tollerant lawn in the end. But, after
reading your posting, I believe that your may have too much water and not
enough air in your lawn at the moment. Clay soil can hold much more water
than sandy soils due to clay's ionic charge and large surface area. And
clay is also famous for becomming compacted which destroys the air holding
ability of the soil.

So what to due to correct this issue? First off, your not going to get a
really cheap fix here. You must first change the cultrual enviroment in
which you wish your lawn to live. First deal with the compaction issue (
if this problem exists ) with an aerator. Punching holes into the lawn
will help with air and water movement through the soil. If you have a high
clay content, do not 'sand over' the lawn. People like to do this to fill
the little aerator holes with sand to aide in drainage. What tends to
happen is the soil will 're-compact' over time and the sand/clay mix will
turn to cement. It you feel the need to fill in these holes, then use
compost or even plain old soil.
After your done with the aerator, you will want to rent a thatcher.
De-thatch the lawn area. It should look like it's almost bare dirt. Rake
up all the grass/weeds reseed and peat over the top of the seed. Water and
watch it grow.

In the furture, place a cat food can ( or some other container about the
same size or a nice rain gauge ) half the distance away from the
sprinkler. Run the sprinkler untill you have an inch of water in the can.
Remember the amount of time it took to fill the can. This is the amount of
time you'll need to run your sprinkler to get the right amount of water on
your lawn. Your shooting for an inch per week. Don't forget to subtract
out any rain that you might of gotten during the week. Good luck

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 21-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Starlord

You don't say what area you live in, and you might have a type of grass that's
dorment in winter and greens up for spring/ summer.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"Lil" wrote in message
[...]

---

[IMG] code is On

Lawn weeds and new lawn forrestgump1083 Lawns 3 23-07-2008 02:26 PM
Sick and Dying Ivy, what is it and how can I fix it? Tim Gardening 12 06-08-2007 12:54 AM
How to fix lawn Guitarist511 Lawns 17 08-08-2006 03:28 PM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 10:45 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 15-03-2003 12:09 AM