Old 21-01-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peach leaf curl - copper or sulfur to treat?

"Ann" wrote in message
"J. Clarke" expounded:

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what
nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying
trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants?
Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed
results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred
anyway independently of such application?

John, this guy is impossible to talk with, he's got his own very firm
definitions for all things in the plant world and will cling to those
definitions til the cow comes home, all the while telling the rest of
us that we don't use the proper terms when discussing fertilizer,
growth, nutrients, N-P-K, etc. If you look back over his posting
history you'll see what I mean.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.
Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed by plants.
We do not feed trees they are autotrophs. We do not feed trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 21-01-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:07:54 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:40:34 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How to
you
provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what stomata is? Didn't think so.

We do not feed trees, we do not feed trees. Telling someone you are is
false as well as misleading and wrong!

Old 21-01-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:07:54 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How to
you
provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what stomata is? Didn't think so.

Sure, they are suck open on birches, anyway, we do not feed trees. Guess
what. You don't feed trees either. What I said I was out on my porch
photosynthesizing? Would you let people believe I could photosynthesize?
Come on, get honest! Quit attacking the messenger. You are not feeding a
tree with elements anymore than I can photosynthesize. Its very dishonest
to profess you are.. They are autotrophs. Again, in the USA you can write
and say stupid things that make no sense. Product pushers!

Old 21-01-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both
claim
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which
works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had
peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this
year.

Copper works for me.

David

Show me some pictures of your trees and the pruning cuts. Plus the root
zone.

Why?

David

Because I could better diagnose your real problem. Why not?

Old 21-01-2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More
important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How
to you provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what
nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying
trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants?
Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed
results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred
anyway independently of such application?

--

You know John, it is possible to win every battle and lose the war. You
are like a bad girlfriend that clings and clings and clings. You may be

SPARINGLY, voice your opinion, maybe give a couple of references and
BACK-OFF. Tell me this and tell me that and define me this and define me
that has become one major pain in the butt to many of us. As big a jerk
as D. Staples is, he doesn't post four or five times at a shot. As much
as I admire what you are trying to do, I'm ready to put you in my
killfile. Putain, c'est sufficient. Arręte. Enough.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...490698,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

We do not feed trees, we do not feed trees, we do not feed trees.

Other than that, we do not feed trees.

Say, "Good night", Gracie.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 21-01-2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

By by Billy! Snip snip snip

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,

Old 22-01-2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both
claim
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which
works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had
peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this
year.

Copper works for me.

David

Show me some pictures of your trees and the pruning cuts. Plus the root
zone.

Why?

David

Because I could better diagnose your real problem. Why not?

Why not? Because I know peach leaf curl when I see it. But that's me, I
cannot say if the OP can but he asked how to treat it.

I think sometimes you are really trying to help. But when you go on with your
pet subjects to the exclsion of all else you are just trying. To a kid with a
hammer everything is a nail.

David

Old 22-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered User

Cool

In my vast experience of gardening, why not just chop the leaves off, then they'd never get curly. Peaches are furry not curly!!!!!
Old 22-01-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:19:57 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

Because I could better diagnose your real problem. Why not?

The way you made me take photos of my cuts which you not only ignored,
but you didn't honor your word which was that you'd put them on the
front page of your website. Oh, I forgot, you told me you lost them.
Wassa matta, I made proper cuts and you couldn't stand it?

I told you I would like to see some dissections that the cuts were hard for
me to see without dissections. Did you see the squirrel section I did
added?
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...squirrels.html

Old 22-01-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
[...]

By seeing the pictures I could tell you alot about the vitality of the tree
and the cause of the problems. I do not like to make any recommendations
regarding prescribing questionable chemicals unless I have at least see a
tree in person of some pictures. Would not be very professional. Would a
doctor prescribe a questionable prescription for a patient without ever
seeing the patient? The tree care industry has a long way to go.

A good site for links on what may be a questionable pesticide can be found
he See Pesticide Issues
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/env/

Old 23-01-2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Huh...do I have pics somewhere that make that obvious? How di dyou figure
that one out?

I haven't been to SLC in decades. I do, however, drive by the Portland
Oregon temple several times a week. They must have some fairly skilled
ground keepers - I never thought of talking to them.

"symplastless" wrote in message
news
BTW I see you are a Mormon? I studied tree biology with Mormons from the
different Temples at Salt Lake in 1991. The people in charge of the main
Temple grounds maintenance studied with me. Do you know Alex Morris?
They would assure you the importance of proper pruning and proper mulching
and proper fertilization. The Gamble Oaks are very wonderful there.

Old 24-01-2008, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

When someone new comes on sometimes I Google them. You have a page
somewhere. In 1991 at SLC, they recorded (video) the tree biology workshop.
If you were to get hold of Alex Morris or somebody must have a copy. I
recorded it as with all of the tree biology events I participated in on
micro cassettes. I have some collection of tapes.

Old 24-01-2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

Oh, for ****'s sake, STFU.
Old 24-01-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

Because I could better diagnose your real problem. Why not?

The way you made me take photos of my cuts which you not only ignored,
but you didn't honor your word which was that you'd put them on the
front page of your website. Oh, I forgot, you told me you lost them.
Wassa matta, I made proper cuts and you couldn't stand it?

Oh, for (snip) sake, (snip).

Ok, I told you if you provided me with some pictures of target pruning with
a good response from the tree I would put one on the front page of website.
Probably my pruning section. You sent me some pictures of some large cuts
with woundwood that was in the form of a doughnut. Due to my inexperience I
was unable to fully understand that cut. Therefore, without a dissection it
would be hard for me to say. Not to say you did something wrong, but I
could not place it on the front page and describe it because I was not sure.
Now, I was not sure of a cut I made on a peach tree so I dissected it.
See: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ach/index.html

It was a proper cut but you can see the symplastless column that formed
below the wound. The column is the size of the tree when it was pruned.
The point of this picture is to show that with peach trees, even proper
targets can lead to symplastless columns. When space is reduced for storage
of starch with proper cuts, guess how bad improper cuts are for the trees
capacity to store energy? Well that's why I asked Zootal for some pictures
of his pruning cuts and soil management, trunk flare area and such to
diagnose what the primary cause of the trees problem is. When energy
reserves are reduced, secondary agents move in. Then often people use
questionable chemicals to get rid of the secondary agents. In advanced tree
biology the secondaries are referred to as the 'Clean-Up Crew".

Back to your pictures. It was not clear to me by your pictures, as to how
much of a direct hit the pruning cut was. If you can provide me with
something I can better understand I would be glad to use it. Why don't you
come visit me and dig mycorrhizae. I have microscopes, digging tools,
scanner, trees with mycorrhizae. All I require is people like you to dig
and identify mycorrhizae. Just an invitation. Please, place some of your
pictures of this and that on a website and I will go through and find
something I can use. Again, I cannot say I am sorry enough for not
understanding the pictures you sent me.

As far as questionable chemicals, this thread started with (copper based
fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide) many comments were made about the
chemicals and they were endorsed by people in this tread without even seeing
the patient. I asked for some pictures of soil and pruning cuts and no one
was interested. Everybody was pushing for using questionable chemicals
without diagnosis. If you disagree please provide the specific active and
inert ingredients you were recommending.

Old 25-01-2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:34:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Jangchub wrote in
m:

wrote:

Because I could better diagnose your real problem. Why not?

The way you made me take photos of my cuts which you not only

ignored,
but you didn't honor your word which was that you'd put them on the
front page of your website. Oh, I forgot, you told me you lost them.
Wassa matta, I made proper cuts and you couldn't stand it?

Oh, for ****'s sake, STFU.

When you do, then we all will.

Take another pill for another imaginary illness, why don'tcha, and let
your keyboard take a break.