Old 20-01-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peach leaf curl - copper or sulfur to treat?

I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim to
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

Old 21-01-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim to
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

Copper works for me.

David

Old 21-01-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim
to be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

Here are some treatments regarding peaches that would be best if addressed.
Pruning and mulch is a huge one!

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 21-01-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:40:34 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How to you
provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 21-01-2008, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

Copper works for me.

David

Show me some pictures of your trees and the pruning cuts. Plus the root
zone.

Old 21-01-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Did you prune these trees? How?

Did you mulch these trees? How and with what?

Did you plant the tree? How?

Did you apply N? If so how much over what area?

Old 21-01-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

BTW I see you are a Mormon? I studied tree biology with Mormons from the
different Temples at Salt Lake in 1991. The people in charge of the main
Temple grounds maintenance studied with me. Do you know Alex Morris? They
would assure you the importance of proper pruning and proper mulching and
proper fertilization. The Gamble Oaks are very wonderful there.

Old 21-01-2008, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More
important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How
to you provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what
nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying
trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants?
Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed
results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred
anyway independently of such application?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 21-01-2008, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/20/2008 12:40 PM, Zootal wrote:
I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim to
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

I use a dormant spray that combines a light oil (to kill over-wintering
insects and their eggs) with copper sulfate (a fungicide that is both
copper and sulfur). This mix is no longer available in combination, but
can be obtained with the oil separate from the copper sulfate and with
instructions on how to combine them. The mix is diluted in water, about
1 tablespoon of mix to 1 gallon of water. I add some liquid soap to
ensure that the spray sticks to the plant and does not bead up and run
off.

I apply this right after pruning (weather permitting) and again at the
"pink bud" stage (when flower buds just start to show some color but are
not yet open). At the time of the first spraying, I mix extra spray and
apply it to my roses and grapes to prevent early mildew; if there is any
left over, I spray the ground under my camellias to prevent blossom rot.

I finished pruning my peach tree on Friday. However, the weather was
not permitting: The wind was too strong for spraying. Other
commitments prevented me from spraying yesterday or today. Drizzles and
showers are now expected through this coming week. Since any rain
within 48 hours after applying copper sulfate generally means
respraying, I won't be doing the post-pruning spraying until next weekend.

In addition to spraying, cleaning up old fruit is important for
controlling fungus.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 21-01-2008, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

I have a copper based fungicide, and a sulfur based fungicide. Both claim to
be the definitive cure for peach leaf curl. Does anyone know which works
better, or if both are equally effective? Last year my peaches had peach
leaf curl quite severly. I'd like to prevent it from happening this year.

From what I know, either one will work. The important thing is to apply it
before bud swell.

Sherwin

Old 21-01-2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More
important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How
to you provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what
nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying
trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants?
Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed
results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred
anyway independently of such application?

--

You know John, it is possible to win every battle and lose the war. You
are like a bad girlfriend that clings and clings and clings. You may be

SPARINGLY, voice your opinion, maybe give a couple of references and
BACK-OFF. Tell me this and tell me that and define me this and define me
that has become one major pain in the butt to many of us. As big a jerk
as D. Staples is, he doesn't post four or five times at a shot. As much
as I admire what you are trying to do, I'm ready to put you in my
killfile. Putain, c'est sufficient. Arręte. Enough.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...490698,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 21-01-2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"J. Clarke" expounded:

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what
nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying
trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants?
Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed
results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred
anyway independently of such application?

John, this guy is impossible to talk with, he's got his own very firm
definitions for all things in the plant world and will cling to those
definitions til the cow comes home, all the while telling the rest of
us that we don't use the proper terms when discussing fertilizer,
growth, nutrients, N-P-K, etc. If you look back over his posting
history you'll see what I mean.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 21-01-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
wrote:

Continue to do this foliar feeding until fruit sets. More
important,
do research and don't just trust my brand of remedy. I have
impossible brown rot with no treatment in sight.

Victoria

Please explain how you provide tree food by applying to leaves. How
to you provide food for an autotroph?

Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you seem to object to the term "foliar feeding", what
nomenclature would you prefer be used for the process of supplying
trace elements by direct application to the leaves of certain plants?
Or is the basis of your obection that you feel that the observed
results of that procedure are simply a fluke that would have occurred
anyway independently of such application?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Good question.
"supplying elements by direct application" I.e., if the leaves are actually
taking the elements in.

Old 21-01-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We do not feed trees, we do not feed trees, we do not feed trees.

Other than that, we do not feed trees.