Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered User

Default Chopping down Conifers

Hello,

My first post here!

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?

We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden. I hate them with a passion anyway, but these are making a decent garden feel very, very narrow.

Thanks,
Jess
Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

J15ess wrote in
:

Hello,

My first post here!

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?

We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden.
I hate them with a passion anyway, but these are making a
decent garden feel very, very narrow.

you can cut conifers at any time. depending on the trunk size
& height, i'd use a chainsaw or a bow saw (or an ax, but
that's much harder work & leaves a messier stump). cut as
close to the ground as possible & don't drop them on the
house, your head or the neighbors.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

J15ess wrote:
Hello,

My first post here!

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?

We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden. I hate them
with a passion anyway, but these are making a decent garden feel very,
very narrow.

Thanks,
Jess

Since your intent is to destroy them it really doesn't matter _when_ you
whack them down - not as if you are doing delicate pruning and want to
avoid harming them. Find yourself some suitable tool and wield it
safely. Personally, I would use my chainsaw for such a job but almost
anything can be made to work. Then, before your strength ebbs, take a
pick-axe and shovel to the root balls and dig them out and refill the
holes with good soil. That way you will be ready to plant something more
to your liking when the time comes.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Get a second opinion from someone that understands tree biology. They might
point something out that makes sense to you. Its a shame that you hate
trees. Other than that hire a professional to do the job.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

J15ess wrote:

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?
We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden.

If they're large conifers than they've been there many years, dropping
needles and taking soil nutrients... it's not the best location for a
garden, certainly not a vegetable garden. You can attempt to amend
that soil but it will take many years, probably as many years as those
conifers have been growing there.. will cost many dollars and require
lots of labor. It's best to find a different location for your
garden, and perhaps utilize those large conifers as a backdrop for
other plantings that require that acetic soil. You might want to
consult an arborist to at least have a look, perhaps some less severe
remedy can be offered rather than total removal. Anyway, cutting down
conifers is very easy.. protecting yourself and surrounding property
is more difficult... if you had to ask on the net you are probably not
up to the task, I'd strongly recommend you hire a professional.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Do not trust or believe this individual, he bears false credentials.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Do not trust or believe this individual, he bears false credentials.

Don't believe a word I say. Believe it because you see it for yourself.

I often make decisions on woodlands and forest. I do my best to make
decisions based on tree biology.

I would suggest that you go to Don Staples site and see how he defines a
forester (dead link), let alone a forest. His main goal is getting the wood
out and
board feet. NO TREE BIOLOGY!
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/forestry/staples.htm

One of my main objectives is to leave as much wood as possible behind when
working on a tree farm. We try to give the wood soil contact. Brush pile
are also great for wildlife. Its how much you leave that makes you
successful.

That article mentioned by Don Staples is here.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...th5/index.html

Beware of so called forester, like Don Staples, that refuse to define what a
forest is and what a forester is. He lacks the knowledge of tree biology
and does not belong making decisions on trees and their associates. He
likes to attack people who try to help others understand.

He claims that logging makes a forest healthy! How absurb.
Just for starters http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

I have also put together some sites to help people with many common problems
for trees in an urban setting. I do not believe in a "urban forest".

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com

www.ccil.org/~treeman
that we are not the boss.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
J15ess wrote:

How, when and what is the best way to chop down Conifers?
We have several (rather overgrown) ones in our new garden.

If they're large conifers than they've been there many years, dropping
needles and taking soil nutrients...

Although I agree with most of what you said, trees do not uptake nutrients.
They do absorb, in a sense, water with elements dissolved in it. Trees are
autotrophs and manufacture their own food. Food is a substance that
provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a substance that provides
an energy source, elements, and other substances essential for life, in
types and amounts that can provide a healthy life. Fertilizer is a
substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in bonded forms, that
require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be absorbed by plants.
The tree would actually add nutrients to the soil as woody and non-woody
parts are shed. Yes trees do take elements from the soil but if let go they
will put a little more back than they took out. Also trees provide the soil
with exudates which is a trees way of paying taxes.

Here is an example of how loose terms can add confusion.

If I said:
To start your car, you must first reach for keys --- energy out. The keys
must be turned in the starter --- energy out. The starter stimulates the
battery, to turn over the engine --- energy out. Finally, the engine pulls
in fuel and engine starts --- energy out. Once started, the engine returns
some of the energy out, back into the battery. Now, the engine is on a
different fuel system. Energy is the key for starting a car. Energy is
also the key for starting water up a tree. In phenology stage one, stored
starch begins to convert to sugars. This requires water to come in, mostly
from stored water, as bound water on cellulose. But, how does it start?
Sun energy and codes of genetics "Reach for the keys". Chemicals form that
increase enzymes that change starch to sugar. Sugar in water starts osmotic
and other pressures that pull more water off cellulose and from the soil.
It takes energy anytime matter moves. To pass through the casparian strip,
more energy is required. As sugar is "burned" ATP comes off. The tree is
still in the "battery" stage. In time new leaves form and the "fuel" stage
starts. But, what about trees that form flowers before leaves? With such
trees, the pressures formed as sugar goes into water, moves the water to the
flowers. The same type of actions go on for maple sap collection. (See
maple syrup) The living symplast maintains the pressures in the water -
moving (NUTRIENTS) by regulating their size. Now "the car is moving" and
energy starts to go back into the system. [WHEN I USED THE WORD NUTRIENT,
what am I referring too?]

Old 04-02-2008, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

If I said:
[...]

nutrient was the wrong term. The correct term is elements. E.g., The
living symplast maintains the pressures in the water -
moving elements by regulating their size. It is more lucid if the word
elements is used to describe elements. Rather than confusing people and
calling elements, nutrients.

Again as the last two posters stated, don't believe a word I say.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com

Neither trust nor believe this individual, he posts under false credentials.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com

Do not trust or believe this individual, he posts from false credentials.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com

Neither trust nor believe this individual, he posts under false
credentials.

Don't believe a word I say. Believe it because you see it for yourself.

I often make decisions on woodlands and forest. I do my best to make
decisions based on tree biology.

I would suggest that you go to Don Staples site and see how he defines a
forester, let alone a forest. His main goal is getting the wood out and

Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com

Do not believe, or trust, this individual, he posts from false credentials.