Old 21-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Jane

Default Tuberose planting

Hi,
I'm in zone 6 and a half with 3 feet of snow but I want to start some
tuberose bulbs in peat pots so I can get them ready to go right into the bed
when its warmer. I'm thinking if I'm careful i can just pull up the peat
pots later and over winter them inside. I've never grown these before so any
info would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jane

Old 21-02-2003, 01:51 PM
jcart003

"Jane" wrote in message . net...
Hi,
I'm in zone 6 and a half with 3 feet of snow but I want to start some
tuberose bulbs in peat pots so I can get them ready to go right into the bed
when its warmer. I'm thinking if I'm careful i can just pull up the peat
pots later and over winter them inside. I've never grown these before so any
info would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jane

I have grown lots (many thousands) of tuberose in zone 6b, so here is
what I have learned! They want HEAT and LOVE DRY conditions, I would
suggest avoiding peat pots. I have found peat pots to be almost
worthless, they sound good but don't work well, the peat doesn't allow
the roots through unless the soil is constantly very moist, and the
peat can wick away moisture from the roots. I would suggest using a 6
inch cheap black nursery pot, like people are always throwing away,
for your pulling up for the winter idea. If you want to start now be
sure you have a very sunny window and don't over water. It would be
good to give them a start now since they are slow to bloom! But don't
rush them, I planted them outside (as bulbs) in early april in raised
beds. They didn't even come up till june!!! Once in the ground they
NEVER need watering! I have a very dry soil and as I said the beds
were raised and they bloom best in "drought" conditions! The plants
look bad but they bloom a lot and get large bulbs, to much water is
far more of a threat in the east! After ist frost lift the pots/bulbs
and let dry completely til next spring, if you have a good window pull
before frost and keep them growing all winter, you may get a bloom or
two.
Old 22-02-2003, 04:27 PM
jcart003

They can have rough looking foliage in dry conditions, they don't
always.
If they are well watered they look fine. If they are stressed, which
mine don't mind at all, the leaves are short and they have dead spots
on them. I assume the dead spots are funfgal, but they never really
caused me any worry as I was interested in the flowers. I wouldn't
hide them as I think they want lots of fresh air around. Also if you
take my suggestion for 6inch pots you need to water them for the first
week or two after they are set in the ground to settle the soil around
the pot so the roots can get out the drain holes and into the real
soil. Losing the roots that are in the soil when you lift the pot in
the fall has never caused any of my plants that I do this with any
real problem. I hope this makes sense!! and good luck there is nothing
quite like the scent of tuberose!!! If you choose to cut the flowers
they can last two weeks in water! Change the water every few days and
they will keep blooming!
"Jane" wrote in message . net...
Jcart, Thank you so much for the advice! You have helped me very much! I
haven't tried using peat pots for anything so I'm very happy you warned me
of their limitations. I just have one more question. Since all the pictures
of tuberoses are of the flowers and not the foliage, what do you mean by
ugly? Would you advise setting thim behind something else lower to hide
their ankles?
Thanks again,

Jane
"jcart003" wrote in message
om...
"Jane" wrote in message

[...]

[IMG] code is On

tuberose plants Linda Texas 17 02-08-2005 01:44 AM
Tuberose problems... Schubert Gardening 0 22-04-2003 06:56 PM
Question about planting grass (small patches) [email protected] Lawns 2 01-04-2003 06:20 PM
Planting Roses Cherylmdsharp Roses 2 31-03-2003 11:32 AM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM