GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please help with Jasmine! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/170985-please-help-jasmine.html)

danny22 10-02-2008 09:31 AM

Please help with Jasmine!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question if anyone can answer it!

I'm new to pretty much all aspects of gardening, but I'm very keen, so much so that a shop near where i work gave me two jasmine plants they were going to throw out because they thought they were dead.

I'm afraid I don't know much about which type of jasmine it is. It grows around a looped wire and has tiny white buds - not very helpful, i know, but its all I got :) There is still green on them, they look alive, some buds are dead and some leaves are but there are living ones also. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could try to save them? I have repotted them - when I took them out of their old pots it was clear they needed more space!!!

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

danny22 10-02-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny22 (Post 774072)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question if anyone can answer it!

I'm new to pretty much all aspects of gardening, but I'm very keen, so much so that a shop near where i work gave me two jasmine plants they were going to throw out because they thought they were dead.

I'm afraid I don't know much about which type of jasmine it is. It grows around a looped wire and has tiny white buds - not very helpful, i know, but its all I got :) There is still green on them, they look alive, some buds are dead and some leaves are but there are living ones also. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could try to save them? I have repotted them - when I took them out of their old pots it was clear they needed more space!!!

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

just found out, its called chinese jasmine - jasmine polyanthum. if that helps! i have watered it, compost is damp but not waterlogged. should i cut away the buds? im thinking of taking a couple of cuttings off each, so even if they do die i might be able to grow something new from them!

Val 11-02-2008 07:47 PM

Please help with Jasmine!

"danny22" wrote in message

danny22;774072 Wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question if
anyone can answer it!

To get a very quick, informative answer put "jasmine polyanthum" into a
search engine (Google) and learn everything you need to know. I don't know
where you are in the UK but I'm in Seattle, USA, much the same climate as
London, and this plant grows like gang busters out in my garden.

Val

Phisherman[_1_] 12-02-2008 02:16 AM

Please help with Jasmine!

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:47:46 -0800, "Val"
wrote:

"danny22" wrote in message

danny22;774072 Wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question if
anyone can answer it!

To get a very quick, informative answer put "jasmine polyanthum" into a
search engine (Google) and learn everything you need to know. I don't know
where you are in the UK but I'm in Seattle, USA, much the same climate as
London, and this plant grows like gang busters out in my garden.

Val

I carefully nursed 5 winter jasmine plants for 2 years. They should
be in bloom about now, but the deer have stripped them to the ground!

jeanthegardener 12-02-2008 07:42 AM

Hi newbie here. Somebody told me that beer and birth control pills are good fertilizers. Is this true? Have any of you guys tried it?

Btw, I'm glad to find a gardening forum finally! I hope I'll have fun with you guys.

enigma 12-02-2008 12:10 PM

Please help with Jasmine!

jeanthegardener
wrote in :

Hi newbie here. Somebody told me that beer and birth
control pills are good fertilizers. Is this true? Have
any of you guys tried it?

nope, not true.
beer is good for attracting slugs & snails. there are far
more useful things for your garden than crackpot concoctions.
compost is the best thing for soil improvement. seaweed is a
good fertilizer, especially for tomatoes.

Btw, I'm glad to find a gardening forum finally! I hope
I'll have fun with you guys.

there are a few unkind posters, but mostly people are helpful
here
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair