Old 14-02-2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default computer question

I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the start
menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button that if I
tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut down the
computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut down the
computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new computer.
Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 14-02-2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the
start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button
that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut
down the computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut
down the computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new
computer. Thanks in advance.
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Is it just me, or is there something deeply flawed with the blind leading
the blind?

Right click an empty spot on the tool bar. You should see a clue there.

Old 14-02-2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Joe

I thank you for you knowledge sharing. Just like with trees. what I mean
is that some things which seemed simple once revealed, were probably the
last choice I would have made if not pointed out. E.g., The fact that turf
grass was harmful for the tree. So I figured I would remove the grass.
Then I find out that the grass roots grow deeper than the non-woody roots of
trees. So with the turf went the non-woody's. Watch somebody that does not
understand tree targets and they often prune right in the middle of two
nodes. I do thank you for pointing that out to me, I.e., the tool bar
thing. If I can ever help you please let me know.

Old 15-02-2008, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to
the start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty
bitty
button that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow
me to shut down the computer. Is there not a larger button or
another way to shut down the computer. I am trying to teach a
client
how to use her new computer. Thanks in advance.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and there's a big red shut down button on the lower
right.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 16-02-2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2008-02-14 17:48:03 -0500, "symplastless"
said:

I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the
start
menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button
that if I
tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut down the
computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut down the
computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new computer.
Thanks in advance.

Ditch Vista and go back to XP. Vista sucks camel butt. Seriously. Ask
anyone.

I somewhat agree. Vista is a real resource hog and still has quite a
few bugs. There are a lot of programs that still don't work correctly
with Vista and won't until the vendors come out with updates for their
programs. Their is a service pack that is coming out for Vista within
the next few months and that will correct at least some of the problems
that Vista users are reporting.

I recommend that anyone that still has XP not "upgrade" their OS to
Vista. Microsoft has announce that they will continue to support XP
until at least 2014 and Service Pack 3 will be out for it latter this year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 16-02-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote in
:

I somewhat agree. Vista is a real resource hog and still
has quite a few bugs. There are a lot of programs that
still don't work correctly with Vista and won't until the
vendors come out with updates for their programs. Their is
a service pack that is coming out for Vista within the next
few months and that will correct at least some of the
problems that Vista users are reporting.

what M$ product isn't a resource hog? what is wrong with
writing elegant, unbloated code?
have they made any form of Vista that runs games yet? not all
of us choose to use computers as 'business' machines, or to
buy game consoles.

I recommend that anyone that still has XP not "upgrade"
their OS to Vista. Microsoft has announce that they will
continue to support XP until at least 2014 and Service Pack
3 will be out for it latter this year.

my 7 year old got a laptop from his grandpa for Christmas.
grandpa took off the Vista & put XP Pro on, & we set it up for
dual boot with Linux when it got here. the boy prefers Linux.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 16-02-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the
start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button
that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut
down the computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut
down the computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new
computer. Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

news server: msnews.microsoft.com

For why not to use Vista,
newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

For a fix:
newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Dave

Old 16-02-2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

True story:

During Christmas dinner at my home four MS employees are seated at the
table. I ask during a lull in the conversation, "So who is going to buy me
the new VISTA program?" All four held up their hands, made the sign of the
cross with their index fingers held in front of their faces and rapidly
shook their heads "NO!", never saying a word. The next thing said was, "So
what about those 'Hawks?" and VISTA was never mentioned again.

Much later I found out that a few thousand dollars of programs I use won't
work with VISTA, the companies of these programs warn against using VISTA
and won't give technical support if you have it on your machine.

JMO but, I'd say wipe VISTA off your computer and reload whatever you had on
it before.

Val

Old 16-02-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:

JMO but, I'd say wipe VISTA off your computer and reload whatever you had on
it before.

Val

Good idea; BUT almost all computers come with Vista now so many users
have nothing to go back to. Of course, you can always go out and buy XP
but most people don't want to go to that trouble (or expense).

Old 16-02-2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote in
:

Val wrote:

JMO but, I'd say wipe VISTA off your computer and reload
whatever you had on it before.

Val

Good idea; BUT almost all computers come with Vista now so
many users have nothing to go back to. Of course, you can
always go out and buy XP but most people don't want to go
to that trouble (or expense).

almost all machines you buy at a big box store come with
Vista. if you *order* a machine from just about anywhere,
including Staples, you can get it with XP Pro. i think waiting
24-48 hours is worth saving the aggravation of uninstalling
Vista & spending more money on XP to make the computer
functional.
lee

Old 16-02-2008, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:06:29 -0500, Bill R

On 2008-02-14 17:48:03 -0500, "symplastless"
said:

[...]

I agree with not upgrading. However, if you buy a new PC, get Vista.
It has some improvements over XP, despite the bloat. It's search
capabilities are very good and makes XP search look lame. New
software will always be a resource hog--memory and disk space is very
inexpensive. I used to program in assembler a long time ago, but that
language is seldom used anymore and there are few remaining
programmers with that skill or want to develop the skill. XP will be
around for a long time since there are slower machines that still are
useful.
Old 17-02-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the start
menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button that if I
tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut down the
computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut down the
computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new computer.
Thanks in advance.

I don't have what you describe on my Dell Vista box.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 17-02-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"symplastless" wrote in message
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the
start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button
that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut
down the computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut
down the computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new
computer. Thanks in advance.
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Is it just me, or is there something deeply flawed with the blind leading
the blind?

Right click an empty spot on the tool bar. You should see a clue there.

I don't have what you describe either.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 17-02-2008, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Travis wrote:
symplastless wrote:
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to
the start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty
bitty button that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up
which
allow me to shut down the computer. Is there not a larger button
or
another way to shut down the computer. I am trying to teach a
client how to use her new computer. Thanks in advance.

I don't have what you describe on my Dell Vista box.

If it's a default Vista setup there should be a button with an arrow
to the lower _right_ not _left_ (I'm somewhat dyslexic myself--I have
to triple check on directions sometimes) of the menu that comes up
where "start" would be on an XP box that gets the options switch user,
lock, logoff, sleep, shut down.

Old 17-02-2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
Travis wrote:
symplastless wrote:
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to
the start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty
bitty button that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up
which
allow me to shut down the computer. Is there not a larger button
or
another way to shut down the computer. I am trying to teach a
client how to use her new computer. Thanks in advance.

I don't have what you describe on my Dell Vista box.

If it's a default Vista setup there should be a button with an arrow
to the lower _right_ not _left_ (I'm somewhat dyslexic myself--I have
to triple check on directions sometimes) of the menu that comes up
where "start" would be on an XP box that gets the options switch user,
lock, logoff, sleep, shut down.

I don't know what the big flap is. Vista is fine with shut down as
having dyslexic fingers myself, I've had to back down from a possible
accidental shutting down of XP.

Vista has been out for a year now and I had waited 6 months before
buying a new computer with it. There were a lot of software conversion
problems and driver updatings but now system works great and I prefer to
XP pro on older computer that I still use.

[IMG] code is On

computer question K Barrett Orchids 5 09-12-2008 04:14 PM
OT question for computer-y people Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 43 18-04-2008 06:56 PM
computer question 2 symplastless Gardening 25 03-03-2008 03:55 AM
OT computer/newsgroup question Sacha United Kingdom 3 22-05-2006 09:03 PM
OT Computer question for the tech minded Andrew G Australia 12 01-12-2004 09:46 AM