Old 19-02-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recommendations on online merchant for blueberry bushes and grapevines?

Having trouble finding a good source for blueberry bushes and grape
vines online.

Granted, there are several but it's hard to tell who to trust.

Any recommendations on who to buy from?

Also, kinda hard to find the proper information on blueberry bushes. I'm
under the impression that most require two different cultivars in order
to produce. Which do you think I should go with for zone 6b, Kentucky.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19-02-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 19, 12:01�pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Having trouble finding a good source for blueberry bushes and grape
vines online.

Granted, there are several but it's hard to tell who to trust.

Any recommendations on who to buy from?

Also, kinda hard to find the proper information on blueberry bushes. I'm
under the impression that most require two different cultivars in order
to produce. Which do you think I should go with for zone 6b, Kentucky.

I began my quest for blueberry bushes on line too but after lots of
effort spent with all the confusing claims I decided to buy from a
local nursery instead... and quite a few net sources demanded payment
up front before they'd ship, crap on that. I ended up getting three
times as much plant for three times less money, and no shipping
costs... just drove eight miles down the road, picked em out myself
and drove them home. All 12 plants I bought survived and produced
berries the first year. I got a dozen six year old plants, each in a
five gallon container; $12 each... three each of four different
cultivars, so they'd produce early, mid, and late season. I'm a ways
north from Kentucky but I'm positive if you phone your local plant
nurserys you will find some that sell quality blueberry bushes at
reasonable prices.

Old 19-02-2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

I ended up getting three
times as much plant for three times less money, and no shipping
costs.

If you didn't buy from an online source, how do you know that you got
"three times as much plant for three times less money"? How can you
compare what you bought to what you never saw?

Very easy.... the net sources list prices and plant size/age....
can't get any easier to compare. And you made my point, at the
nursery I can *see* the actual plant I'm buying.

The plants I bought from the local nursery (a very reputable, and
internationally famous nursery) were over 2' tall, well branched, and
growing in 5 gallon containers. Those on the net were a measly few
inch tall twigs and mostly bare root. Some web sites were selling
larger potted plants but for the size I got they wanted at least $75
and exhorbitant shipping costs, plus still I wouldn't get to see what
they're sending until it arrived. Last year I noticed my local Lowes
was selling blueberry plants; about 6" tall twigs thinner than a soda
straw in 4" pots, 2 yr old the label said, but only $3.99... still a
much better value than sight unseen from the net. If someone is on a
tight budget and has patience to wait for plants to grow than I would
recommend the type I saw at Lowes... at those prices they can buy a
few extra in case some don't make it. I've never had a problem
getting credit/exchange at Lowes but with nursery stock you can't get
the time back, so with crop plants I would buy a few extra.

Old 19-02-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
Steve wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.. I checked several locals and they
don't have anything worth while.. Plus I think they suck..

As for Lowes, they carry what's local to the region, so I hadn't seen
any blueberries.. Maybe I missed them though.. Will have to check, been
a while since I was in shopping.

Regardless, thanks for the advice on both fronts..
Old 19-02-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

It might be worth to advertise your interest in Blueberries. I came
across a retired blueberry grower that was moving and he offered large
plants just to dig them, You never know. I did not take the offer as
it was too much work but just another resource that may be neglected.

I'm on the verge of giving away Japanese maples. I've always done
this slowly but they keep on growing.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant
a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold

Old 19-02-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
Steve wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Perhaps blueberries are just not a popular crop in Kentucky. Where I
live most all nurserys sell blueberry plants, but usually the small
ones. I bought mine he http://www.storysnursery.com
I always shop Storys first. Sometimes I don't buy there because they
may only have very large specimens, and they cost more than I want to
pay. I actually got a better deal than you think, I always shop there
on Thursdays, that's when they give a 15pct senior discount.

Unfortunately Storys suffered a very large fire three years ago, they
lost their main building, their green houses, and many of the
irreplacable plantings in that area. But they've since rebuilt, and I
notice that they are in the midst of creating a new web site. I have
no other connection except as a very satisfied customer.

Old 20-02-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

I really cant help you with this problem. I am responding because I am
taking a computer class and this is a class project on blogs. Good
luck in your blueberry hunt

Old 20-02-2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.. I checked several locals
and they don't have anything worth while.

I don't think you should give up. Expand your search, try calling
nurseries in and around the next large city.

I agonized all winter over where to buy my blueberry plants, checking
every web site that looked promising. I finally settled on one but
when they said they were going to bill my credit card and not ship
until they were paid I canceled my order. That's when I decided to
check local nurserys and found just what I was looking for right
nearby, I shopped there many times but it never occured to me that
they'd have blueberry plants, probably because they were located a
long way from their main entrance and I just never noticed them.

Here they are the day I planted them, spring 2006:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2a0dp1h.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/30vi3wo.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/ziocyc.jpg

Spring 2007:
http://i31.tinypic.com/r76c6d.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/2gtoj09.jpg

I got more berries than I expected last year and I was surprised at
how huge they were, most were the size of a nickle, and fresh picked
they tasted wonderful, nothing like those from the stupidmarket. I'm
anticipating a bumper crop this year. I'm glad I didn't settle on
those teensy blueberry plants, they don't seem to grow very rapidly so
I would probably have had to wait a few years for my first berries.
Don't give up.

Old 20-02-2008, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

Wow... Nice crop off a little plant..

I'd actually ordered them already from an online source. I'm only doing
5 bushes so not going to hurt if it doesn't work out the way I planned.

Now, for the back yard run, I'm planning on an Elderberry hedge 70' or
so in length for privacy, fun and fruit. I'll see if I can get those
local considering how many it will take and will expand to a 40 mile
radius for finding a nursery.

While we're on Blueberries.. Did you acidify your soil? I'm estimating
mine to be 7 (will test soon) so most likely going to add sulfur to
knock it down.
Old 20-02-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 20, 2:18�pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

I was amazed myself, I figured maybe enough for one bowl of toasties
but I got at least a quart from each plant.

I'd actually ordered them already from an online source. I'm only doing
5 bushes so not going to hurt if it doesn't work out the way I planned.

Now, for the back yard run, I'm planning on an Elderberry hedge 70' or
so in length for privacy, fun and fruit. I'll see if I can get those
local considering how many it will take and will expand to a 40 mile
radius for finding a nursery.

While we're on Blueberries.. Did you acidify your soil? I'm estimating
mine to be 7 (will test soon) so most likely going to add sulfur to
knock it down.

I tilled in three large bales of peat moss, that's what I was told to
do at the nursery. They said after the second year to bring in a few
samples for testing. They didn't recommend over acidifying, can
always add more if needed.
Old 20-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Having trouble finding a good source for blueberry bushes and grape
vines online.

Granted, there are several but it's hard to tell who to trust.

Any recommendations on who to buy from?

Also, kinda hard to find the proper information on blueberry bushes. I'm
under the impression that most require two different cultivars in order
to produce. Which do you think I should go with for zone 6b, Kentucky.

Thanks in advance.

I too, am interested in any recommendations on where and who to buy
from.

Thank You!