Old 22-02-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Horseradish in Containers?

I love horseradish.. Just love it.. Not that crap sauce that's mixed
with mayo.. The good stuff that's blended up into a spicy paste.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway.. Since it seems invasive I was wondering if it could be grown
within a container?

I don't see any reason why not.. Seems like a good idea, and if I used a
wash tub type of container it'd be wide and allow alot of root growth.

I figure then I can harvest the outside root growth and leave the inside
for regrowth in the next season.

Sound like a plan, or am I nuts?

Hmmm.. Would I have to bring it in, or could it winter outside?

Zone 6b, Kentucky, as always.

Old 22-02-2008, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
I love horseradish.. Just love it.. Not that crap sauce that's mixed
with mayo.. The good stuff that's blended up into a spicy paste.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway.. Since it seems invasive I was wondering if it could be grown
within a container?

Yes

I don't see any reason why not.. Seems like a good idea, and if I used a
wash tub type of container it'd be wide and allow alot of root growth.

I figure then I can harvest the outside root growth and leave the inside
for regrowth in the next season.

Sound like a plan, or am I nuts?

It's fine

Hmmm.. Would I have to bring it in, or could it winter outside?

My climate isn't that cold but i think the top will die off and the roots go
dormant through winter. If you want to be sure keep some roots over winter.

David

Old 22-02-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Good deal.. Sounds like I was spot on with that idea.. Thanks!
Old 22-02-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 22, 10:55�am, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good deal.. Sounds like I was spot on with that idea.. Thanks! - Hide quoted text -

You really need a container without a bottom... horseradish will grow
well contained inside a buried clay chimney flue liner.
Old 22-02-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.. Ok, I'm game for trying that..

Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What
the heck is the difference?

Old 22-02-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

I've noticed that the fresh h'radish roots at the supermarket are
showing some little green sprouts at the crown. I'd just buy a root at
the store and use most of it and plant the crown. (I've been
considering doing just that, but I don't want it to take over my garden)

Bob
Old 22-02-2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:55�am, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in
message
[...]

Yeah, that's possible so long as it's fresh root.. What's the price on
it at the store?

Starters I'd found are around 3 crowns for $5 or 5 sets for $6.

I'm assuming that the sets are the offshoot roots.. Wonder which would
be better to grow off of.

As for taking over the garden, that's why I was asking about keeping it
in containers..

I've got several rubbermaid containers used during moving that I can
drill holes in, dump rocks in the bottom and fill with soil.. Was
thinking of just growing them out in there.

Would certainly make harvesting easier..
Old 22-02-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have grown it in my garden for years and it hasen't taken over. I just
till along the row to keep it where it belongs and I crop 1/2 the row
one year and the other 1/2 the next. I replant the crowns where I just
dug them. That way I get nice big roots.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 23-02-2008, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What
the heck is the difference?

Any bit of root that is still alive will do.

David

Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What
the heck is the difference?

Any bit of root that is still alive will do.

David

How small are you talking. If I cut a root up into say 1" pieces would it
grow? thanks -Doug

[IMG] code is On

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 09:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 09:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 07-05-2003 12:20 AM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 06:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 04-03-2003 12:42 AM