Old 21-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Dwayne

Default What exactly do seeds need to grow?

What are you wanting to do? If you want them to germinate give them water,
sunlight, and warmth. Or are you are just wanting to get the seeds in dirt
and store them until the time is right to germinate them? If that is the
case, I took some perfectly dry potting soil, planted the seeds, and set
them in the garage (which was lighted through the windows) until 6 weeks
before the transplant time. At that time I watered them and off we went.
My seeds didn't rot and none of them sprouted early.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
I'm wondering if I plant seeds in soil, say in a cardboard box, and
then put the box in a dark place such as a closet for a few weeks -
what would happen to the seeds? Could I pull the package out, put it
in the sun and grow the plants, or would the seeds rot (even if the
soil was dry)?

Thanks!

Old 21-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Scott

As asked below, I want to simply place the seeds in dirt and then
germinate them a few weeks later. I thought keeping them in the dark
would work fine - I didn't realize different seeds need different
methods of germination.

Can you recommend a reference book to me? I'm mostly interested in
common vegetables and possibly ornamental flowers. Thanks!

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message m...
There have been volumes written on how to germinate seeds. The requirements
for various species are widely varied and it is impossible to say without
knowing exactly which plants you are talking about. Some seeds require light
to germinate while others need darkness. Others require other preparation
before they will germinate. You just can't generalize.

Old 23-02-2003, 02:39 AM
zhanataya

Is this a prescribed scenerio for a science project? Seeds have
already got everything they need to grow. All you need to add is the
proper environment.
zhan