Old 29-02-2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Anyone Getting Anything Good In?

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

--
Zone 6b, SW KY - http://www.hildenbrands.com
Enjoying the new found space, but secretly wanting more.
Old 29-02-2008, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

I got some cabbage seeds and lettuce seeds under grow lights and over a
hot pad on low. In a month, I hope to start my tomatoes, peppers, and
beans.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 29-02-2008, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:57:59 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

Impatiens. Got some walleriana 'Bruno" coming up from seed, and a
bunch of trailing 'Fanfair' ordered. A big bunch, the minimum order
is killer.
Old 29-02-2008, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

Impatiens. Got some walleriana 'Bruno" coming up from seed, and a
bunch of trailing 'Fanfair' ordered. A big bunch, the minimum order
is killer.

Fanfare Petunia?? I'd LOVE to try some of that... I've got a hair
brained idea of having planters on the flat roofed part of the house and
having trailing plants grow down from them..

I could swear I had a source spotted for that in the US but now I can't
find it, nor the zone information on it.. Hmm.. Maybe it's not good for
this zone but I was just taken by it.

Oh well.. As for roof watering, be a snap to set up a timed drip
irrigation just for the roof planters since power and water can be so
close. With a little drilling and setup..

Let me know how they work out and if they're water hogs or not..

I'll do seed starting next year most likely.. I've got a spot in my
basement near a window, sump and power that I'm going to end up building
a grow shelf at. For now though, we're doing most from started plants.
Old 29-02-2008, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

No, Fanfare Impatiens.
http://gardening.about.com/od/plantp...mpatiens_2.htm

There is a trailing Petunia, "Suncatcher" sold by Ball that might work
for you
http://www.ballfloraplant.com/press_...uncatcher.aspx

Old 29-02-2008, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Ahhh, ok.. Thanks for the info.. I'm not sure what it is that I found..
Just remember that it got crazy long, like 5' or so..

Oh well.. It'll come to me, when I least expect it, and no doubt when I
don't have a pen and am in the middle of something which ends up making
me forget it again..

~
Old 29-02-2008, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I think you were right, there is a Fanfare petunia, seems to be a UK
thing. It's just not what I was talking about.
Old 29-02-2008, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm
having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in
endless winter.

Old 29-02-2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm
having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in
endless winter.

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.

When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good
lead time for transplants.

Old 29-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Smile

Cheryl Isaak;776741]On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm
having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in
endless winter.

yup there are fanfare petunias as well. we sold a lot of them at the garden center i used to work at here in canada. they are really pretty and do cascade beautifully . i betcha your impatiens will do wonderfully as well . cyaaaaa, sockiescat .
Old 29-02-2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/29/08 12:27 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit
the ground running after the last frost.

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4
grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold
piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I
get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?
I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm
having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in
endless winter.

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.

When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good
lead time for transplants.

I know - and some years I might be able to start clean up now. With 10 more
inches headed my way, it could be May.

When is the ground warm enough for tomatoes? Here in my hilly, coastal,
northern California habitat, it is usually mid-May, and June before the
ground gets to 70F and the vines really start to push.

Old 29-02-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/29/08 12:27 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article
,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

Ever try those "wall of water" mini habitats?
I did hoping to get a week or two head start. Slugs loved them as a
nice warm place with food nearby.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...945215109.html

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/29/08 12:27 PM, in article
,
"Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article
,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

Too expensive for me. On the up side though, "Sluggo" has cleared my
yard of 99.9% of the snails and slugs that I have been fighting, low
these many years. With the snails at bay, I'm doing my soil modification
with clear plastic. But May ain't here yet and who knows what surprises
it may hold.